X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lobot
    started a topic Memphis 1/16 7:00 ESPN

Memphis 1/16 7:00 ESPN

Memphis is 12-3 overall and currently ranked #21 . They have a loss to Oregon on a neutral court, a road loss to Wichita St and a home loss to Georgia. The loss to Wichita St. will probably knock them out of the top 25 tomorrow. They are led by 5 star freshman Precious Achiuwa at PF. Achiuwa averages a double double. 5 Star James Wiseman has gone pro after being ruled ineligible for taking a payment from Penny Hardaway to help his family relocate to Memphis. We have two common opponents with them in Tulane and Tennesee. Memphis won both contests.

Memphis is really young team.There are 7 freshman, 4 sophs, no juniors and 1 senior. They go 10 deep despite the loss of Wiseman and no one averages more than 28 minutes per game. This is a game where we have the potential for a track meet to break out and that would probably result in UC losing because of Memphis' depth. The key to this game for UC is going to be limiting turnovers and transition defense. You cannot let Memphis run constantly. On the flip side, their half court offense is fairly terrible if the Tennessee game is any indication so making them run offense is crucial.

After all the preseason hype and despite the recruiting haul for Memphis, this is not the best team we've played this year. That was Ohio St. If you'd like to check them out, they play today on ESPN2 at 4:00 at USF.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...stats/_/id/235

• DesertFog
    replied
    Re the Cats folding at the end of the second half, as already noted this indeed did occur after the subs entered the game. I wondered at the time if it was the right thing to do. Things were going so well with the regulars, why change? They didn't look tired to me. I guess Brannen thought they needed a blow, but in retrospect, it could hardly have turned out worse if the regulars had stayed in.

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat1996
    replied
    Originally posted by Binturong05 View Post
    Despite the loss it was nice to see the Bearcats fight back in the second half to overcome a sizable deficit and take the lead
    This is the ONLY way to look at it! Shows they are capable of hanging with top teams (Ohio State as well). Work on TO's and FT's and they will win more games. We are missing Brooks to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• Binturong05
    replied
    Despite the loss it was nice to see the Bearcats fight back in the second half to overcome a sizable deficit and take the lead

Leave a comment:

• swilsonsp4
    replied
    One of the keys was the necessity of subbing in the second half. Right after the Cats ran off on their 18-2 skein to take the lead, some of them needed to rest. They were on adrenaline. But, the subs were so overmatched that the lead turned into a 9-point deficit in less than 2 minutes. Brannen had to get the starters back in. By that time, they were chasing their tails and never caught up again.

The officiating was awful, but in the end, lack of depth killed their chances. The three points from the bench, by Jaevin Cumberland during garbage time, spelled doom.

Leave a comment:

• UC4me
    replied
    I don't think the technical was as poorly timed as some have said. The air was out of our balloon already by that point in my opinion. I DO like one psychological component of the T. Much has been made about the possible tension between Jarron and CJB. It conveys a very positive message that coach would get T'd defending Jarron.

Leave a comment:

• Rufus
    replied
    We knew going in that Memphis was more than likely a loss. As Cjb said in his pre game presser they are loaded with talent ( two lottery picks). We have two grad transfers that couldnt score two points if they dropped the ball from above the rim. But I also think that believing Van Exel could do anything that would improve this team is short sighted at best.

Leave a comment:

• coach
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliftonite View Post
    I don't think they lost because of the refs.
    It's very true. The reason we lose on the road is we do not have any perimeter game at all. You can't get a lot of breathing room inside when you shoot so, so poorly. Their two wings knocked down 7 3pt's. Jaevin, Woods, and Keith a combined 6/23. Scott was obviously awful, but they were not far behind. You can't win on the road with 49 pts. It's a recurring theme.

Leave a comment:

• hipal88
    replied
    We have 4 basketball players. Memphis had 6 or 7....loss. This year is over. I am done worrying about if we will make a tourney. CJB was playing his best 5 in a must win and it wasn't enough. Might as as well play the bench and see what we have and hope for next year.

Memphis may lose here but we are not beating them.

Leave a comment:

• blackattack
    replied
    Pretty hard to watch last night. Lots of missed point blank layups and stick backs, missed free throws, poor passing into the post, turnovers, etc. I'm sure Memphis' length had a lot to do with it.
    We're in a year of transition as everyone knows. I'm looking forward in a couple years to having a roster of guys that have basketball skills and know how to put the ball in the basket.

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    Memphis would have beaten us regardless of the officiating. They're a pretty decent team and it's a conference road game.

You'll be happy to know that virtually all of the national press that was at or watched that game agreed with our fan base this time around. Many of them were of the opinion that it was the worst officiated game they'd seen all year. The T was ridiculous even though Brannen was trying to get one. All he did was stomp on the floor and yell. He said during postgame he didn't even swear at the referee. I kinda hope he goes off on Curtis Shaw and the league office and draws a fine. The level of officiating in that game was inexcusably bad and it's time the league did something about its' crappy officials.

Leave a comment:

• CincyBearcats2
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliftonite View Post
    There’s never ONE reason why teams lose games. There’s multiple but a big reason we lost was because of the officials. Another big reason we lost is because we couldn’t convert at the rim a whole lot of going up soft by the rim tonight.

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat9796
    replied
    I agree, tech was actually prob overdue, bad timing though

Leave a comment:

• Cliftonite
    replied

Leave a comment:

• coach
    replied
    Originally posted by cinmike View Post

I don’t blame CJB at all for that technical. We got hammered 4 times in one possession with no call. The Tech did kill us, but a coach has to have his player’s backs.
    Yea, the key there is multiple no calls. Bilas and the replay clearly showed the make earlier in the half he got hammered and no call. He then got fouled on another make with no call. It was bad.

Leave a comment:

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X