X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lobot
    started a topic Xavier 12/7 5:00 FS1

Xavier 12/7 5:00 FS1

I've not seen X play yet this year but I know they've played a average schedule so far. They have wins against Mizzou and UConn. UConn was an overtime 1 pt win. The lone loss is to Florida. UConn and FLorida were neutral court and they have not played a true road game. They play Green Bay tonight at 6:00 on FS2 if anyone actually gets that channel and wants to scout.

We've both had games this week so no one should come in cold this year. We have not won in Cintas in quite some time and this is John Brannen's first go around with the Crosstown Shootout.

Paul Scruggs is the leading scorer but has a history of disappearing in this game. The guy that really makes them go is Naji Marshall. He leading the team in assists in addition to being second in scoring and rebounds. Marshall and KyKy Tandy were both recruited by Mick Cronin. Tandy is injured and has only played in 1 game this year so far so unless he's magically healthy for this one I doubt we see him on Saturday.

Xavier does not have a true center on the roster this year and the guys that play minutes top out at 6'9. I'd look for Xavier to go to Tyrique Jones early and often to try and get Vogt in foul trouble. We really don't have a backup plan for Vogt with Sorolla hurt. On the flip side, Quentin Goodin's numbers seem to be down this year and without Tandy, there's no quality backup at the PG spot for Xavier.

Not sure any of this matters because it's this game in their gym and even if Jarron Cumberland is healthy for this game we may be playing 8 on 5 which is usually what happens there.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...tats/_/id/2752

• swilsonsp4
    replied
    The Muskies took another one on the chin today, this time at home to Creighton, 77-65. KenPom now ranks XU #45. The Bearcats are up to #44, with numerous games still pending today.

Leave a comment:

• longtimefan
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Burk View Post
    FS1 color analyst Donny Marshall offered candid remarks about Cincinnati Bearcats star Jarron Cumberland during the first half of the network's broadcast of UC's Crosstown Shootout loss to Xavier on Saturday night:
    At some point you just have to be a basketball player though, regardless of what the system is. This is what you're meant to do. This is why you're in school. This is why you went to Cincinnati was to play. Might not have been to play for John Brannen. But that's the situation you're in. He's got two assists, but he also has three turnovers. His body language is telling me a lot right now. And I'm not sure if it's just the hip. Or if the way the system is working for him - he's not happy with it. But he's the guy. He's got to step up for his team. ... His teammates are trying to help him. He's the guy though.
    I was in Memphis. Glad I missed that stupid garbage. I don't know who the guy is, but he's a fool.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Burk
    replied
    could be although he was benched for a game

Leave a comment:

• coach
    replied
    The announcers were revised Big East guys. They haven't seen Cincy play all year. Cumberland is hurt. Honestly, with his hip swelling he probably should not have played. Obviously it's his last year so i get he wants to get out there, but i think they would be better to give him time to heal up. Just not effective with that type of injury.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Burk
    replied
    FS1 color analyst Donny Marshall offered candid remarks about Cincinnati Bearcats star Jarron Cumberland during the first half of the network's broadcast of UC's Crosstown Shootout loss to Xavier on Saturday night:
    At some point you just have to be a basketball player though, regardless of what the system is. This is what you're meant to do. This is why you're in school. This is why you went to Cincinnati was to play. Might not have been to play for John Brannen. But that's the situation you're in. He's got two assists, but he also has three turnovers. His body language is telling me a lot right now. And I'm not sure if it's just the hip. Or if the way the system is working for him - he's not happy with it. But he's the guy. He's got to step up for his team. ... His teammates are trying to help him. He's the guy though.

Leave a comment:

• coach
    replied
    I think having watched a month's worth of games the best course of action is for JC to sit until he gets better and hope he can play close to 100% in conference play. He's a shadow of himself, and honestly he's probably hurting them as much as he helps and it doesn't aid in getting back to 100%. I don't know about his foot, but someone told me yesterday he didn't think he would play with this bad hip pointer so props to him for gutting it out. However, this team is not going to win many games away from the Shoe with him in the physical shape he is now. Very winnable game if you can make some shots, but as has been the case all year we struggle to knock them down. Lot of good open looks as well. Tre Scott seems to disappear against better competition. Looked like a repeat of the Osu game. When you have as many turnovers as points in 37 minutes of play it's not a good sign for a guy with 5 years in the program. I'd sacrifice short term pain by sitting JC, to have him back for the conference games at closer to full strength if that's possible.
    Last edited by coach; 12-08-2019, 11:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat9796
    replied
    No one was great, didnt take care of ball

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat9796
    replied
    Turnovers...

Leave a comment:

• coach
    replied
    Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
    Keys:
    - Jarron plays meaningful minutes
    - Chris Vogt effective, stays out of foul trouble (limit reliance on Diarra)
    - Keith Williams continues level of play from Vermont (and last year's play/toughness vs Xavier)
    - Get to the line, make FTs
    - Limit X from second chance points
    - Do not let X shoot above average like they usually do
    - Jaevin hit at least a couple 3s
    + don't fall behind big time out of the gate. aka every year Mick coached them at Cintas.

Leave a comment:

• GoBearcats31
    replied
    Keys:
    - Jarron plays meaningful minutes
    - Chris Vogt effective, stays out of foul trouble (limit reliance on Diarra)
    - Keith Williams continues level of play from Vermont (and last year's play/toughness vs Xavier)
    - Get to the line, make FTs
    - Limit X from second chance points
    - Do not let X shoot above average like they usually do
    - Jaevin hit at least a couple 3s

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat9796
    replied
    2 TVs, hoops gets the bigger screen.

Leave a comment:

• longtimefan
    replied
    I'll be in Memphis tomorrow, that's all I care about. I'll DVR the BB game and watch if we win, and probably not if we lose. I know I'm in the minority, but after what happened in 2011 I don't think we should play this game.

Leave a comment:

• coach
    replied
    All i can tell you is i've seen every game and watched it. Fwiw at Osu he barely played. The ridiculous calls pretty much sent him to the bench. If you think he does not draw a crowd at his size and ability to finish and also block shots you should watch it more closely. He draws more than one player often which frees up another guy. It helps having someone that big that you have to double.

Leave a comment:

• BearKatz
    replied
    Originally posted by coach View Post
    One of the reasons Tre Scott's rebounding stats are in the top tier in the country through the first month or so is Vogt. He's taking a player or two under the glass. He demands a lot of attention, and it's leading to Scott getting to the ball often. You do not have to be fast or quick to rebound the ball. You have to be disciplined. Vogt is a mismatch for X. They are likely to double him as well with the ball so Tre is going to be in a position to rebound and if he continues to work as hard as he has he'll get balls Saturday. Vogt's presence doesn't always show up in the stats under his name. He's also an excellent passer in the post which we've rarely had here. He's big in more than the height stats.

I do not agree.... Yes, Vogt has demanded more attention against Vapo , Vermont, & Bowling Green for example... Not powerhouses by any means... And when Vogt went up against a more active Front Court, " Ohio State" who could defend, Vogt was not a huge presence around the basket, and had no major IMPACT on Scott's performance... 4pts & 4rbs is hardly a stellar performance... As the competition get's tougher, I believe Vogt will be less of a factor... Will agree to disagree, and I hope you're right and I'm wrong come Saturday.
    Last edited by BearKatz; 12-05-2019, 09:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X