Xavier 12/7 5:00 FS1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xavier 12/7 5:00 FS1

I've not seen X play yet this year but I know they've played a average schedule so far. They have wins against Mizzou and UConn. UConn was an overtime 1 pt win. The lone loss is to Florida. UConn and FLorida were neutral court and they have not played a true road game. They play Green Bay tonight at 6:00 on FS2 if anyone actually gets that channel and wants to scout.

We've both had games this week so no one should come in cold this year. We have not won in Cintas in quite some time and this is John Brannen's first go around with the Crosstown Shootout.

Paul Scruggs is the leading scorer but has a history of disappearing in this game. The guy that really makes them go is Naji Marshall. He leading the team in assists in addition to being second in scoring and rebounds. Marshall and KyKy Tandy were both recruited by Mick Cronin. Tandy is injured and has only played in 1 game this year so far so unless he's magically healthy for this one I doubt we see him on Saturday.

Xavier does not have a true center on the roster this year and the guys that play minutes top out at 6'9. I'd look for Xavier to go to Tyrique Jones early and often to try and get Vogt in foul trouble. We really don't have a backup plan for Vogt with Sorolla hurt. On the flip side, Quentin Goodin's numbers seem to be down this year and without Tandy, there's no quality backup at the PG spot for Xavier.

Not sure any of this matters because it's this game in their gym and even if Jarron Cumberland is healthy for this game we may be playing 8 on 5 which is usually what happens there.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...tats/_/id/2752

Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
    Tandy is injured and has only played in 1 game this year so far so unless he's magically healthy for this one I doubt we see him on Saturday.
    I believe his first game was the most recent game, so I think he's good to go -- even if not 100%

Comment

It's a simple concept, but this game will boil down to who makes shots both from the field and the ft line. Both teams have stunk it up shooting the ball. Hopefully, 1. we don't fall behind right off the bat as Mick's teams did more often than not, and 2. we shoot the ball as well as we did last night and feed the post early and often. Vogt is definitely a mismatch for them. He's hard to handle with 6'8 or 6'9 guys. As we saw last night, when he draws the double he passes well.

Comment

Team stats fairly similar, no doubt we have to make some shots. Of the Cumberlands and Keith, if one plays great, neither of the other 2 are terrible, and we reasonably take care of the ball, I like our chances

Comment

I think if Uc is to win, Vogt will need a strong game. He's a difference maker against a team that does not have a traditional pivot man. He's shown a lot of skill passing out of double teams etc. and my guess is they double him which will leave open shots. Got to knock them down and take the crowd out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post

I believe his first game was the most recent game, so I think he's good to go -- even if not 100%
            You're correct. He did play last night and scored 10.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

IF? X comes out shooting lights out like they have in past Crosstown Shootouts, UC will not recover.... UC will need to match the intensity from the start to keep it close...If Jarron does not play, it's probably going to be a long night... I would prefer to have Woods off the bench first over McNeal.... Tre Scott and Vogt will need to have big games as well!

Comment

I tried to watch the game last night, but Thom Brenamen was calling the game and made my stomach sick. I had to stop half way through the first half. What I saw was an active rebounding team giving them second chances. Need to box out on defense!

Comment

Jarron Cumberland is officially questionable and won’t practice today
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Gilenerm View Post
                    I tried to watch the game last night, but Thom Brenamen was calling the game and made my stomach sick. I had to stop half way through the first half. What I saw was an active rebounding team giving them second chances. Need to box out on defense!

Except for Scott, we do not have the players to box out a active Front Court.... Diarra is not good in that aspect, and Vogt is way toooooo Sloooooow...... I might be WRONG, but I'm guessing X will plan on trying to get Vogt in foul trouble early.... Scott is the only athletic active UC player underneath the boards... Diarra has not progressed like I was hoping he would...

Comment

One of the reasons Tre Scott's rebounding stats are in the top tier in the country through the first month or so is Vogt. He's taking a player or two under the glass. He demands a lot of attention, and it's leading to Scott getting to the ball often. You do not have to be fast or quick to rebound the ball. You have to be disciplined. Vogt is a mismatch for X. They are likely to double him as well with the ball so Tre is going to be in a position to rebound and if he continues to work as hard as he has he'll get balls Saturday. Vogt's presence doesn't always show up in the stats under his name. He's also an excellent passer in the post which we've rarely had here. He's big in more than the height stats.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
                        One of the reasons Tre Scott's rebounding stats are in the top tier in the country through the first month or so is Vogt. He's taking a player or two under the glass. He demands a lot of attention, and it's leading to Scott getting to the ball often. You do not have to be fast or quick to rebound the ball. You have to be disciplined. Vogt is a mismatch for X. They are likely to double him as well with the ball so Tre is going to be in a position to rebound and if he continues to work as hard as he has he'll get balls Saturday. Vogt's presence doesn't always show up in the stats under his name. He's also an excellent passer in the post which we've rarely had here. He's big in more than the height stats.

I do not agree.... Yes, Vogt has demanded more attention against Vapo , Vermont, & Bowling Green for example... Not powerhouses by any means... And when Vogt went up against a more active Front Court, " Ohio State" who could defend, Vogt was not a huge presence around the basket, and had no major IMPACT on Scott's performance... 4pts & 4rbs is hardly a stellar performance... As the competition get's tougher, I believe Vogt will be less of a factor... Will agree to disagree, and I hope you're right and I'm wrong come Saturday.
                        Last edited by BearKatz; 12-05-2019, 09:58 PM.

Comment

All i can tell you is i've seen every game and watched it. Fwiw at Osu he barely played. The ridiculous calls pretty much sent him to the bench. If you think he does not draw a crowd at his size and ability to finish and also cause guys to block shots you should watch it more closely. He draws more than one player often which frees up another guy. It helps having someone that big that you have to double.

Comment

I'll be in Memphis tomorrow, that's all I care about. I'll DVR the BB game and watch if we win, and probably not if we lose. I know I'm in the minority, but after what happened in 2011 I don't think we should play this game.

Comment

2 TVs, hoops gets the bigger screen.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X