Vermont 12/3 7:00 CBSSN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermont 12/3 7:00 CBSSN

This game is on CBS Sport Network so those who had trouble with the FSO broadcast for UNLV don't have to worry about that this go around.

Vermont is 6-2 and gave Virginia fits a couple of weeks ago in a loss.They have wins over St. Johns and St. Bonaventure couple with a weird loss to Rider. This is not a high scoring team but you have to contain Anthony Lamb who is likely a pro at the forward spot. Lamb is averaging 16.8 and 8 a game but he's only playing 28 minutes per contest. They spread the minutes around with 11 guys in double figure minutes.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...stats/_/id/261
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

I was expecting a great 3 pt. shooting percentage, but they are only shooting 27 percent from 3 and 67 percent from the ft line.

Comment

UVM fell at Yale today, 65-52. The Bulldogs jumped up 12-0 and never trailed. Both are quality teams that went to the NCAA Tourney last season.

https://www.timesargus.com/slider/ya...8510c3bb8.html

Comment

Here's a post from a Catamounts' blogger regarding their shooting woes and offensive inefficiencies that go with it:

Vermont struggled to find an offensive rhythm and dropped a tough road matchup with Yale. Yale was favored in this game so the loss itself is not surprising. Vermont has won three years in a row in some very tight battles and it was Yale's turn to execute. However the struggles of the Vermont offense are becoming a major concern. The offense just looks awful. Teams have figured out that the Cats struggle to make outside shots so they are collapsing into the paint and making driving to the rim very difficult. As a result the offense is choppy as the Cats players probe for driving lanes with little success and settle for outside jumpers. They need to really shake things up on offense in hopes that someone can get jump started. Stef Smith was completely ineffective today. He finished with zero points and turned the ball over 4 times. He is the key cog in the Vermont offense and his inconsistent play to start the season is a major reason for the teams struggles. Without him as a reliable secondary option, teams can focus all of their defensive attention on Anthony Lamb. Lamb is working hard to fight through the extra attention and willed himself to 18 points and 7 rebounds. However he is falling in love with the three pointer and it is greatly impacting his efficiency. His percentage has plummeted as his attempts have increased. He is shooting 2.5 more threes per game than last season but only making 23% of his attempts. The defense is focusing on stopping him from getting to the rim and Lamb is playing right into their hands by settling for jumpers. As a result he has been getting to the free throw line at a much lower rate. Drawing fouls and making free throws is a significant part of his game. He has to find a better balance between his perimeter game and his post game. His offensive imbalance is indicative of a trend for the Cats across the board. Over the first 4 games (all wins) Vermont averaged 24 attempts from three and 23 attempts from the free throw line per game. In the 5 games since, those numbers have changed to 30 attempts from three and 10 attempts from the free throw line per game. Getting to the free throw line is incredibly important and Vermont is making it easy for opponents to keep them off the free throw line by settling for long jumpers. The supporting cast is contributing positively in every other aspect of the game besides at the offensive end. They are hustling and playing tough defense but are just unable to make a consistent offensive impact. The road gets tougher as Ben Shungu's injury could keep him out for much longer and Daniel Giddens left today's game and did not return. He looked to be in a fair amount of pain. The Cats are going to have to band together and dig deep with Cincinnati on deck. That will be another tough game where they are going to have to show up and execute the game plan effectively.

Comment

They'll hit 15 three's tomorrow night. smh.
          Cory Huffman
          Cin City

Comment

Here's an article on the frustration of the UVM coach, especially after what he determined to be poor effort and play versus Yale:

https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...ss/4347150002/

Comment

Originally posted by loshow22 View Post
              They'll hit 15 three's tomorrow night. smh.
              Good call, unfortunately for them they could not make any twos. Lamb was 4/16 from the field. Game was for some reason called differently on either end of the floor. Not sure where those refs were from, but Vogt got mugged multiple times and Mr. Clean just watched. Awful officials.

Comment

The Cats absolutely shot lights-out tonight, both from the outside (12/19) and at the line (22/26). Mika Adams-Woods hit four big free throws in the final minute to help sew up the 82-73 victory over UVM.

Keith Williams couldn't miss (4/4 treys) on his way to 23, while Jaevin Cumberland fired in 5 bombs in 8 tries to get to 21. Trevon Scott recorded a double-double (12 & 13).

There was one downer, though. Jarron Cumberland, after scoring 8 in the first half, collided with a screener on the first second-half play and left the game holding his hip. He spent the rest of the game going between the locker room and bench, with an ice pack wrapped to his hip. Hopefully, he'll be ready for XU.

The Catamounts are a quality team; probably the second best the Cats have faced this year. It was a good win.

Comment

[QUOTE=swilsonsp4;n369815]The Cats absolutely shot lights-out tonight, both from the outside (12/19) and at the line (22/26). Mika Adams-Woods hit four big free throws in the final minute to help sew up the 82-73 victory over UVM.

I agree that the shooting was impressive last night. I was confused by Zach's lack of playing time, I don't think he got in at all in the first half and only logged 3 minutes for the game. Especially in light of Jarron playing so few minutes. I'm curious is something else is going on or if coach just doesn't believe he has earned the time..

Comment

Im really impressed with Mika Adams-Woods. Apparently has progressed more than has ZH. I believe the mistakes made by starting woods would be significantly less than those being made by Mcneal as the starter, ( last game being the exception by CM. Just mho.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post

Game was for some reason called differently on either end of the floor. Not sure where those refs were from, but Vogt got mugged multiple times and Mr. Clean just watched. Awful officials.
                      I know as a UC fan its always easy to say that we are being jobbed by the officials. But the last two games it really seems that officiating is sketchy at best. That game last night was horrible. I have seen better officiating from crews doing my daughters games (4th grade).

And I know a lot of people didn't like the last coaches barking at kids and refs...but I think more barking at the officials needs to happen. But I digress....

Write Something...

Comment

[QUOTE=Black and Red Attack;n369818]
                        Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
                        The Cats absolutely shot lights-out tonight, both from the outside (12/19) and at the line (22/26). Mika Adams-Woods hit four big free throws in the final minute to help sew up the 82-73 victory over UVM.

I agree that the shooting was impressive last night. I was confused by Zach's lack of playing time, I don't think he got in at all in the first half and only logged 3 minutes for the game. Especially in light of Jarron playing so few minutes. I'm curious is something else is going on or if coach just doesn't believe he has earned the time..
                        Harvey got yanked right after giving up back-to-back straight line drives right down the lane. His first step was slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel View Post

I know as a UC fan its always easy to say that we are being jobbed by the officials. But the last two games it really seems that officiating is sketchy at best. That game last night was horrible. I have seen better officiating from crews doing my daughters games (4th grade).

And I know a lot of people didn't like the last coaches barking at kids and refs...but I think more barking at the officials needs to happen. But I digress....
                          I've had Uc tix from before we ever moved to the Shoe, and i can tell you that last night's game was as bad an officiated game as i've seen in person. No consistency to what was called, Mr. Muscles with the shaved head seemed more interested in jawing with the crowd and staff and posing than calling the game, and the other two would call a touch foul on the Vermont end, and let a clear hack go by on the Uc end. They phoned that one in. Better officiating from a two man crew in summer ball it was that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post

I've had Uc tix from before we ever moved to the Shoe, and i can tell you that last night's game was as bad an officiated game as i've seen in person. No consistency to what was called, Mr. Muscles with the shaved head seemed more interested in jawing with the crowd and staff and posing than calling the game, and the other two would call a touch foul on the Vermont end, and let a clear hack go by on the Uc end. They phoned that one in. Better officiating from a two man crew in summer ball it was that bad.
                            Where is Louis "the Barber" Banks when we need him? Maybe that would have interested the ref.

Comment

[QUOTE=swilsonsp4;n369826]
                              Originally posted by Black and Red Attack View Post

Harvey got yanked right after giving up back-to-back straight line drives right down the lane. His first step was slow.
                              He seemed disinterested last night. He looked like he had just woken up from a 2 hour nap. Last 2 weeks of the semester and the homework/papers/ projects are piling up. That'd be my explanation for it.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X