Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Around the American '19-20

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    What I’ve seen is Wiseman’s family took money to move from Nashville when Penny was at Memphis East HS and running Team Penny AAU before he was Memphis coach. The problem is that even though he wasn’t at Memphis, he’s still considered a booster because of his affiliation with the University.

    Right now it’s in court because Wiseman’s lawyer got a restraining order that allowed him to play last night. They plan to continue to play him. If he’s ruled ineligible eventually, they will have to vacate any games that he played in.

    Memphis is trying to thumb its nose at the NCAA because they think they can win in court. Huge Risk, because if they don’t win , they’re going to get hit with a major violation and Penny will get suspended also.

    I mean let’s face it. Everyone knew something like this was going to happen with Penny except Memphis itself.



    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

    Comment


    • #17
      I'm sure it has crossed the minds of NCAA brass that, if Hardaway was willing to fork over 11.5K for a high school kid to transfer, what is he willing to do at Memphis? Their essential position, though, is that Hardaway is and was a UM booster. The fact that he brought Wiseman to Memphis for his HS team and not, initially, UM is irrelevant. He, as a booster, paid a student athlete to move.

      Here's an opinion piece from the Memphis Commercial Appeal on the subject. Apparently, Wiseman's legal team is going to slow play this through the courts to allow him to play. That said (and the piece doesn't reference it), what happens to the Tigers' potentially great season if, after the fact, they are stripped of any wins and championships?

      https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...ll/4155073002/

      Comment


      • #18
        The NCAA warned them last night. Not only will they have to vacate any wins, but it looks like additional sanctions will be levied against them. Is it worth it?

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
          I'm sure it has crossed the minds of NCAA brass that, if Hardaway was willing to fork over 11.5K for a high school kid to transfer, what is he willing to do at Memphis? Their essential position, though, is that Hardaway is and was a UM booster. The fact that he brought Wiseman to Memphis for his HS team and not, initially, UM is irrelevant. He, as a booster, paid a student athlete to move.

          Here's an opinion piece from the Memphis Commercial Appeal on the subject. Apparently, Wiseman's legal team is going to slow play this through the courts to allow him to play. That said (and the piece doesn't reference it), what happens to the Tigers' potentially great season if, after the fact, they are stripped of any wins and championships?

          https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...ll/4155073002/
          If they required $12k help to move, where are they getting the money to fight the slow legal battle in court? Attorney fees on this could become astronomical.

          Comment


          • #20
            You have a point there. I moved cross country twice for about 5K. That’s an expensive moving company for a 2 hour drive.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

            Comment


            • #21
              Stripping a team of its wins and championship is not an adequate deterrent. The players ability and coaches reputation has been broadcast and used as a springboard to schools that are already skirting the rules. Umass' suspensions etc. did nothing but help Cal aquire millions in contracts with UK. The NCAA needs to get tougher on these schools that habitually circumvent the rules.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Gilenerm View Post

                If they required $12k help to move, where are they getting the money to fight the slow legal battle in court? Attorney fees on this could become astronomical.
                Penny’s got that covered.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                  Stripping a team of its wins and championship is not an adequate deterrent. The players ability and coaches reputation has been broadcast and used as a springboard to schools that are already skirting the rules. Umass' suspensions etc. did nothing but help Cal aquire millions in contracts with UK. The NCAA needs to get tougher on these schools that habitually circumvent the rules.
                  Memphis is a repeat and habitual violator. My early recolections of them before the 80s are fuzzy but from Calipari up to the present , they simply haven't not been successful without violating the rules. Pastner got caught after the fact at GT and Larry Finch simply didn't get caught but the potantial violations were therw. This school has a culture of cheating at men's basketball. The only thing keeping them from the death penalty is the fact that their violations has been far enough apart not to trigger anything from the NCAA. The cleanest coach they've had in 30 years has been the guy they fired, Tubby Smith.

                  I would expect the NCAA investigators to look farther than Wiseman and take a look at the other guys from Memphis East and Team Penny, particularly Alex Lomax.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I hope this happens but it seems like the process is excruciatingly slow. As with the current allegations being investigated at several schools for the past year or more. There is no sense of urgency to clean it up and exact sanctions / penalties. it makes it seem to the general public that the allegations just arent that serious. It just gets frustrating to see the same schools in the upper tier of of the polls when everyone knows how they truly got there.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I figured that the HS folks down in Tennessee would get around to hammering Memphis East because of Penny's largesse. Here it comes:

                      https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ol-state-title

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        In the continuing saga of James Wiseman, his attorneys have dropped his suit against UM and the NCAA. This means the restraining order allowing him to play is now nonexistent.

                        All this really means is that he’s ineligible until further notice and will not play.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          i really thought Memphis was going to put up their noses to the NCAA and keep him active. would've been interesting to see how the type of scenario would play out.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Houston lost at home to BYU on a buzze beater last night. Will be interesting to see them to see them this year. There's 3 guys on that team that Mick recruited and didn't get.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              UCF barely beat Illinois State, this will be a tough game for the Cats, they better come to play.

                              Comment

                              Responsive Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X