2019 Incoming Recruit Observation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
    The point i was making was that no matter who weve had in the middle ( center position ) going back as far as I remember i.e. Jim Ard, has never developed into a real force. As carins dad noted they are either real bad or real good and im not advocating Huggins per se but he got the most out of Corie. It must be related to how quickly the individuals grows and the agility corresponds but cjb at his presser discussing the new recruits went out of his way to make mention of how high delighted. he was that vogt had transferred from nku and he had three years elgibilty . go cats

That's not true.... Are you telling me Corie Blount was not a force at the Center Position ? I consider a Final 4, Elite 8, and Bulls first round draft pick justification to being considered a force....Donald Little at times played like a force.... and when Huggins played small ball, Kenyon played as a PF/C and he was definitely a FORCE in the paint... He caused multiple traveling calls back in the day... and he recorded Triple Doubles off Blocked Shots..... That's a Force!

Comment

I go back pretty far. Paul Hogue was a force. In the championship game in 1962 he had 22 points 19 rebounds. MVP of the tournament.

Comment

I remember Huggins teams not playing a true center and having forwards Eric Hicks and Jason Maxiell playing and hanging down low.
        Former KMart Ball Boy

"Graduation is the key, period. I am on a mission to stop the exploitive nature of college athletics. We must make sure our kids graduate and have opportunities to have productive and happy lives." -MC

Comment

Yes i agreed that Corie B was a force as was kenyon Martin who was a definite force. He could single handedly take over a game and has done so. But as to the observations regarding incoming recruits I merely observed that Vogt was left out of the original post yet cjb in his presser singled out Vogt. I myself am looking forward to seeing if cjb developes. this young man into a forminable presence in the middle aka a Martin, Blount, Fortson, and my all time favorite bearcat of all time, Eric Hicks and even B. Brannen who all were under seven foot yet made the opposing team aware of when they were on the court.. Something we havent seen in a long time let alone an individual who has been tape measured as seven foot one inch. Coach seemed to be very pleased with this particular transfer and it piqued my excitement!

Comment

Yes i agreed that Corie B was a force as was kenyon Martin who was a definite force. He could single handedly take over a game and has done so. But as to the observations regarding incoming recruits I merely observed that Vogt was left out of the original post yet cjb in his presser singled out Vogt. I myself am looking forward to seeing if cjb developes. this young man into a forminable presence in the middle aka a Martin, Blount, Fortson, and my all time favorite bearcat of all time, Eric Hicks and even B. Brannen who all were under seven foot yet made the opposing team aware of when they were on the court.. Something we havent seen in a long time let alone an individual who has been tape measured as seven foot one inch. Coach seemed to be very pleased with this particular transfer and it piqued my excitement!

Understood, I left out Vogt because he will not be eligible this year... Hopefully Vogt will help us out next year...

Comment

I miss the days of such good / great players as Bobby Brannen, Eric Hicks , Melvin Levett, Jason Maxiell , Kenyon Martin ..... It was so much fun watching them back then.... I think I'll pop in The Great Alaskan Shootout Tonight.....

Comment

Yes I do too. Im hoping to see exciting bball again!

Comment

Hard to type as I had triple surgery on my hand. I had to mention two greats at Connie Dierking and George Wilson. Great memories from an old fan. You can see why I get frustrated with first weekend bounces. both under 6 10

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post
                    Hard to type as I had triple surgery on my hand. I had to mention two greats at Connie Dierking and George Wilson. Great memories from an old fan. You can see why I get frustrated with first weekend bounces. both under 6 10
                    And, what might have been. Ron Krick. http://www2.readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=355275

Comment

....I loved that big man list... and the notable players under 7' who could be a force.. Danny Fortson was an automatic 3 point play the hard way darn near every time he touched the rock. He was so strong, every shot he put up there would be guys literally hanging from his arms as he went up... and it did not impact his buckets... at all.. Lol. Then he had the soft touch to make the free throws. I'm convinced he had to have some kind of record for 3 point plays....

Then, if Flint dished it in to the other block you had my man Art "Punch a Horse in the Mouth" Long... I can remember watching them practice and when Art walked by his shoulders were as big and round as my head. He was a force to deal with inside too.

Comment

Originally posted by ucjay99 View Post
                        ....I loved that big man list... and the notable players under 7' who could be a force.. Danny Fortson was an automatic 3 point play the hard way darn near every time he touched the rock. He was so strong, every shot he put up there would be guys literally hanging from his arms as he went up... and it did not impact his buckets... at all.. Lol. Then he had the soft touch to make the free throws. I'm convinced he had to have some kind of record for 3 point plays....

Then, if Flint dished it in to the other block you had my man Art "Punch a Horse in the Mouth" Long... I can remember watching them practice and when Art walked by his shoulders were as big and round as my head. He was a force to deal with inside too.

I remember the Enquirer Clipping... " Art Long Plays A Different Game Of Horse"..... And Fortson was a automatic 3pt play down below.....Those were the days!

Comment

I remember Long and Fortson's in particular will to score over opposing defenders. And the pure desire to impose their will of Bobby brannen and Eric Hicks, those guys just would not be denied. Contrast that type of desire to the efforts of Y. Gates Gary Clark and Kyle washington. As much as I loved these guys there were many games that these guys couldnt be found with a search warrant. They each had the ability but lacked that " killer "mentality. Cronin was forever lamenting that Clark was too nice.

Comment

I remember Long and Fortson's in particular will to score over opposing defenders. And the pure desire to impose their will of Bobby brannen and Eric Hicks, those guys just would not be denied. Contrast that type of desire to the efforts of Y. Gates Gary Clark and Kyle washington. As much as I loved these guys there were many games that these guys couldnt be found with a search warrant. They each had the ability but lacked that " killer "mentality. Cronin was forever lamenting that Clark was too nice.

I totally agree, all (3) were very laid back, passive players that did not always play with a Killer Instinct like UC Players of the past.... Maxiell, Hicks, Brannen , Fortson, all played with tenacity and killer instinct around the rim... Gates was probably the biggest disappointment of all.... 6'8" or 9" with the body type and skill set Yancy had, should have made him a 1st round draft pick...

Comment

I agree emphatically. I miss having a dominance in the paint. I'm hoping that thats what cJB is tooling up to do. However with the reruits brought in and speculated to have been enlisted it looks as though we are going to run, press, run some more , shoot the first good shot and try to contol the boards in order to run to the next good shot. I like who weve brought in so far but I would like a little more height for 2020 and beyond.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X