2019 Incoming Recruit Observation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Incoming Recruit Observation

1) Chris McNeal Grad Transfer PG Commit - 2015 (3) Star Recruit…. Had offers from Western KY, Ole Miss , Umass among other lower tier Universities… Ultimately chose WKU where he started his well traveled college career …. A bit of an attitude problem I’m guessing his entire life … Appears to be able to dominate games when focused…. Probably the biggest wildcard out of all the incoming recruits…

2) Jaume Sorolla Grad Transfer C commit - Besides being 7ft, I can’t find a lot of history on his recruit rankings coming out of Sunrise Christian Academy… Struggled with various injuries over his career at Valpo … Fills a need with Brooks gone, improvement over Nsoseme...

3) Mika Adams-Woods 2019 NY CG 6'3 commit - 2019 (3) Star Recruit who originally picked Nebraska … Had offers from Buffalo , Umass , Neveda…. We basically swapped with Curtis… Does not appear as offensively gifted as Curtis, but fills a backup PG need… 247 Sports had a decent observation on Woods being gifted offensively… We will see… Could be a force by his Junior Year….

4) Jeremiah Davenport 2019 OH SG 6'7 Commit - Another 2019 (3) Star Recruit… Had offers from VT, UAB , East Carolina among other lower tier colleges…. Signed with Wright State in 2018 but opted to the Prep route instead… Played for Hargrave Military Academy which is no slouch… Appears to be athletic and a knack for scoring … Could be another force by his Junior Year….

5) Jaevin Cumberland Grad Transfer PG commit - Former 2015 (2) Star Recruit who ended playing like a (4) Star Recruit his Senior Year averaging 17pts a game… Had a chronic ankle injury which basically sidelined him in 2017-18 …. Scares me just a little… Obviously the gem of incoming recruits, only if it’s for just one year… Touted a prolific scorer… I hope he Jaevin follows up with a HUGE 2019 Season next to Jarron….

I'll be the first to admit, I was very skeptical Brannen would be able to land any recruit with a pulse... Landed a huge Grad Commit in Cumberland and possibly McNeal.... Might have landed a couple diamonds in the rough in Woods & Davenport... I'm actually excited now and can't wait to see how this team plays in 2019-2020 .... This Team might end up scoring more PPG than Mick's last two years... I truly do not care if we sacrifice a little defense for more offensive output..

The player I'm most intrigued to watch is Dairra ....He might actually shine in Brannen's system...For what it's worth!
    Last edited by BearKatz; 06-06-2019, 09:20 PM.

I do not typically comment on recruits. All of the above seem to have potential and some may be good 4 year players which UC lives on, nobody stands out. I think the biggest loss is Logan, he will be a very good player and I do wish him and his family well.

Comment

Logan leaving hurts, would have been a great Bearcat with the hustle he brought
      L

Comment

I'm not sure why this "attititude problem" comes up with McNeal. He's transferred twice because coaches left(including now) as TT's coach quit after the season. I think he had one episode back in 2015 in his first year which i would not label anyone for one situation. His last coach spoke glowingly of him, not to mention he tweeted the following when he signed at Uc.

"Congrats to Chris on signing at Cincinnati!! Chris is a great kid who is primed and ready to finish his career in a big way!"
        Hank Plona Twitter(IHJC)

Comment

Although He wont contibute this up coming season cjb seems to be very excited about Chris Vogt. We have never had a seven footer that i am aware of and now we have two. If Vogt can be be developed into a force in the middle by cjb and co., something mc could not do no matter who he had to play there. Weve got three seasons to watch this young man become a bball player and not just an athlete. I too cant wait for this thing to get started

Comment

Don't forget Mary Dow. I think he was our first 7 footer back in the Tony Yates era at the Gardens.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
              Don't forget Mary Dow. I think he was our first 7 footer back in the Tony Yates era at the Gardens.
              As I recall, Marty Dow never played in a game. He was a Prop 48 guy, whose academics were inferior & he wound up going back home to Colorado.

Mike Reichenecker (sp?) was 7’, as was Chekh Mbodj.

Comment

I hope he is better than Reicheneker. Over 2 years he averaged 1.0 points and 1.0 rebounds per game. However, he was one of the best bouncers on Calhoun Street.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                  Although He wont contibute this up coming season cjb seems to be very excited about Chris Vogt. We have never had a seven footer that i am aware of and now we have two. If Vogt can be be developed into a force in the middle by cjb and co., something mc could not do no matter who he had to play there. Weve got three seasons to watch this young man become a bball player and not just an athlete. I too cant wait for this thing to get started

As I recall, BJ Grove was listed anywhere between 6' 11'' to 7'....and what about Biggie McClain ? Wasn't he listed as 7' ? We had a few others that were also listed as 6' 11" to 7' but never really contributed ...

UC has never really had a player over 6' 10" that could contribute... Nysier Brooks, Donald Little , Corie Blount ... All listed at 6' 10" ... And I'm going as far back since Huggins days.....
                  Last edited by BearKatz; 06-08-2019, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BearKatz View Post

As I recall, BJ Grove was listed anywhere between 6' 11'' to 7'....and what about Biggie McClain ? Wasn't he listed as 7' ? We had a few others that were also listed as 6' 11" to 7' but never really contributed ...

UC has never really had a player over 6' 10" that could contribute... Nysier Brooks, Donald Little , Corie Blount ... All listed at 6' 10" ... And I'm going as far back since Huggins days.....
                    Blount must have contributed something. He was able to use his time at UC from 1991 to 1993 (Final 4 & Elite 8) to reach the NBA and stick for 11 seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

Blount must have contributed something. He was able to use his time at UC from 1991 to 1993 (Final 4 & Elite 8) to reach the NBA and stick for 11 seasons.

Absolutely, I don't think you're following me... Blount was considered 6' 10" if I'm not mistaken? I was saying any player UC has had since Huggins tenure over 6'11" has never been a factor.... Blount was a HUGE factor to UC's success in 91 - 93 ..... We could have used a 100 more players just like him....

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

As I recall, Marty Dow never played in a game. He was a Prop 48 guy, whose academics were inferior & he wound up going back home to Colorado.

Mike Reichenecker (sp?) was 7’, as was Chekh Mbodj.
                        The Rock and Biggie McClain were 7 footers. But Mbodj was only 6’10”. David Nyarsuk was 7’1” and was the tallest player in UC history (according to media guide). And then of course the mysterious case of John Reik!

Comment

It seems 7 footers are really good, or really mediocre. The really good go to the blue-bloods. The rest become projects and most are waste of a scholarship. Hard to coach up I guess.

Comment

So I went back to the 1st year Huggins starting coaching, up until last year..... Here is a list of 6'10" plus players UC has had since 89.... I did not put Blount on the list, cause the media guide listed him both years at 6'9"..... One thing is apparent, when you go back and look at the entire rosters.... Take out Huggins first two years, and his last...Huggins had much more talented players, even though it only translated in (3) good tournament runs....

1990 - Mike Reicheneker 7’

1990 -- Jeff Scott 6’10”

1998 - Donald Little 6’11”

1999 - BJ Grove 6’11”

2004 - Robert Whaley 6’10”

2006 - ADAM HRYCANIUK 6’10”

2007 - ANTHONY MCCLAIN 7’

2009 - IBRAHIMA THOMAS 6’11”

2010 - - KELVIN GAINES 6’10”

2011 - CHEIKH MBODJ 6’10”

2012 - DAVID NYARSUK 7’1”

2013 - JAMAREE STRICKLAND 6’10”

2014 - OCTAVIUS ELLIS 6’10”

2016 - NYSIER BROOKS 6’11”

Comment

The point i was making was that no matter who weve had in the middle ( center position ) going back as far as I remember i.e. Jim Ard, has never developed into a real force. As carins dad noted they are either real bad or real good and im not advocating Huggins per se but he got the most out of Corie. It must be related to how quickly the individuals grows and the agility corresponds but cjb at his presser discussing the new recruits went out of his way to make mention of how high delighted. he was that vogt had transferred from nku and he had three years elgibilty . go cats

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X