No announcement yet.

Logan Johnson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cincinnati transfer Logan Johnson recently visited Fresno State. Also recently visited Saint Mary's. Sit one, play three. California native.

Comment

My thoughts and prayers to this young man and his family.

Comment

Originally posted by CroninCrazy View Post
        From LoJo’s Mom:

Appreciate all the support to Logan, Both my mom and dad are very sick and I am now their caretaker. Logan isn’t a huge loss to some but he is planning to stay close to home to help me with his younger brother. Unfortunately we also learned that there was no more scholarships left and that he would not be able to return while listening to a podcast. Family is such a high priority to us and it is bigger than basketball! Best of luck to you all.
        I get it. I've been where his mom is, my wife has too. Logan's mom is right, some things are more important. Maybe Logan will pull an Octavius Ellis and transfer back. I'd be ok with that.

Comment

I wish him luck because I know that dealing with family health issues can be really hard.

I do find it concerning that they found out from a podcast that we were out of space. I'm hoping that's a result of the whirlwind the family going through right now with everything and not the fault of someone on UC's end. The way this was phrased by his mom, it seems that they might have been expecting us to hold a scholarship for Logan. I have to wonder if they misunderstood the transfer portal process and didn't realize we weren't obligated to save a spot. I hope we didn't lose out on him due to miscommunication. That would stink.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Yep, if you enter the transfer portal you do so at your own risk. Thinking that a school should hold open scholarships is not only naive, but a bit selfish. Let's not forget that school footed the bill for a full ride to the kid, and he/they pulled up and left it at the door. Once someone turns their back on that, it's on them, not the school. This isn't a beauty contest.

Comment

The transfer portal is like putting in your 2 weeks notice. The company needs to replace you, so they start the hiring process as soon as you put in your notice, not the day you start your new job. I can't believe that they thought we'd hold his spot until he committed elsewhere.

Comment

I think UC was obligated to honor the scholarship only until the end of the school year. I think however this happened it's a shame because I thought he was going to be a really good PG for the next three years. Waiting for Logan to make up his mind may have meant losing one of the guys who actually did commit. After what happened UC was in a tight spot, the first guys willing to commit were going to get the scholarships.

I usually don't care about guys who leave like this, I'll never follow or root for Nysier Brooks, Nsosme, etc. This kid is different, I'll be rooting for him to do well.

Comment

That's a good clarification because yes, he could have gone into the portal way back when and finished his academic year out at UC without any type of penalty and I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

Although this did not happen in this case, sometimes people forget that schiolarships are in 1 year segments and renewable at the end of each year. Colleges can effectively terminate a scholarship at the end of the year if they choose to. No one in their right mind does that unless it's a disciplinary thing because that would bring all sorts of bad reputation karma on your program. Used to be that players were "encouraged" to transfer. Now that we have the transfer portal, less encouragement is needed.

Again, we did not ask Logan to transfer in case anyone has that in your head. This was his and his family's decision. Stinks ,but it is what it is.
                  Last edited by Lobot; 06-08-2019, 10:45 AM.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Tricky situation and hard to know the full situation without talking to both parties. You'd like to think there was some communication from CJB at some point, but what if Logan just put his name in the portal and didn't have much communication with the staff?

Either way, there is a point--unless CJB thinks he was absolutely needed--at which the staff had to move forward. He couldn't bring MAW and/or McNeal in and keep either of them hanging. MAW would be in Minnesota right now, that's for sure. Plus, collectively the fans were really excited about Logan and was tough to hear the news of him potentially transferring ... but he's at least another year away from being a (possible) impact player. And he might have thrived under Mick but don't know his ceiling in the new system. Didn't have a ton of opportunities last year, but didn't have a ton to show last year -- just a lot of potential. I was a definite fan, but it is what it is.

In short, best wishes to Logan and his family -- no sour taste in the mouth like with Nysier, but he was likely never coming back because of the family situation, so hope for the best for him on and off the court.

(Also, you'd think Mick would want him, right? ... Does he not think he's good enough, even though he once said he'd be the best Bearcat on his team later in his career?... unless they are full on scholarships but maybe he could go JUCO then to UCLA)
                    Last edited by GoBearcats31; 06-07-2019, 06:02 PM.

Comment

He/they also put himself in a bad situation by waiting quite a while after the coaching change went down. You have to make a decision for the most part early on both for your sake but also the school as well. With only 13 scholly's you can't be holding scholarships for guys you can't count on coming back in June. The school and it's coach have an obligation to put a team on the court.

Comment

Hate this situation for Logan and his family. It stinks.
                        i heard CJB address the Transfer Portal in his press conference this week. He said schools now have to assign a staff member to monitor the transfer portal 24/7 because kids can elect to enter the portal with zero communication with the school or coaching staff. Wow

Comment

I hate that we lost Logan from our team. He would have been a great Bearcat. However, CJB did the right thing. If someone doesn't want to stay for whatever reason the team has to move on. Nothing but
                          the best of luck to LJ wherever he ends up.

Comment

Originally posted by blackattack View Post
                            Hate this situation for Logan and his family. It stinks.
                            i heard CJB address the Transfer Portal in his press conference this week. He said schools now have to assign a staff member to monitor the transfer portal 24/7 because kids can elect to enter the portal with zero communication with the school or coaching staff. Wow
                            While a staff member apparently really is needed to monitor the portal, any player wishing to transfer must contact either his/her current AD or compliance officer before any new school can make contact:

"Per NCAA Division I Bylaw 13.1.1.3, you shall request written permission to contact from your current school to permit a new NCAA school any direct or indirect contact. When you are ready to begin, please contact your current director of athletics or compliance office with a written request. Your request shall be either granted or denied within seven business days. If denied, you may request a hearing opportunity with your current school to appeal the denied decision. Please ask your compliance office for a copy of your school’s hearing opportunity policies and procedures, including a deadline by which you must request your hearing."

Comment

Committed to St. Mary’s

Comment

Originally posted by CincyBearcats2 View Post
                                Committed to St. Mary’s

Good for Logan...That's a great landing spot ...I have a feeling will regret him having to leave.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X