No announcement yet.

Welcome Coach Brannen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has been a long time since 1992. What do we fans have to lose. Heck I followed them since the late 50s and early 60s. I have to admit it was very exciting. Go cats.

Comment

Originally posted by Corporateballa View Post
      I’m not sure anyone on this forum is qualified to assess this hire. Alex Meacham knows him well and calls it a homerun.
      Alex is so far the only former Huggins player I've seen with anything positive to say on the hire. Vast majority wanted Nick Van Exel. Funny thing is with Alex being involved at the AAU level, he's the one who's had the most contact with Brannen.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Simply put; he will be a good hire if he continues making the NCAA tournament AND gets to the sweet 16 or better. If not, it was a fail

Comment

Welcome Coach Brannen. I trust Bohn & his decision making abilities. Let’s get behind him & support him. I hope all the players stay & Cumberland
          stays for his senior year. Looking forward to a new future. Mic did a great job & I thank him for his efforts & accomplishments. Let’s take this to the
          next level. Go Bearcats!

Comment

Welcome Coach Brannen! As an outsider this looks like a great hire. I'm excited to see what he does with this group of players.

Comment

If everyone stays, we finish at least top 3 in conference next year and we bring in a decent recruiting class....I'll be slightly less nervous

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat9796 View Post
                If everyone stays, we finish at least top 3 in conference next year and we bring in a decent recruiting class....I'll be slightly less nervous
                I'm not sure. We won a lot of really close games last year (5 pts or less), and the two senior guards were difference makers in most of those wins. I think the losses of Jenifer and Broome are bigger than a lot of us thought.

Comment

I don't think there was a home run hire out there. It's obvious there is still a fracture amongst fans. If Kennedy/Van Exel/F. Martin were hired then it would appease the Huggins crowd but disappoint others. Brannen is a nice hire but because he has no ties to the former aforementioned coaches, it's caused a rift within that group of followers. I like the hire and will gladly see what he can do. If anything, we will see a different type of team than we've seen over the last 13 years. I think personally, if he could somehow hire Nick Van Exel as an assistant, it would alleviate a lot of tension stemming from former players.

Regardless of your feelings...having former player support is critical for the program. Hopefully we can find some common ground while getting Nick a taste of college ball. Never know, futuristically the opportunity for him to take over the UC job could be there at some point.
                  Cory Huffman
                  Cin City

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

Alex is so far the only former Huggins player I've seen with anything positive to say on the hire. Vast majority wanted Nick Van Exel. Funny thing is with Alex being involved at the AAU level, he's the one who's had the most contact with Brannen.
                    For those wanting a former UC player as an assistant coach - anyone know if Meecham would be interested? He always struck me as a passionate guy that knew basketball. Doesn't necessarily make him the most-qualified person...but being connected with AAu can't hurt in the recruiting aspect of the job.

Guessing someone can tell me why this is crazy or a bad idea.

Comment

I was going to say the same thing. Van Exel would have been a bigger short term splash but I had concerns about the kind of program he might run, his willingness to recruit hard, and his emphasis on the graduation aspect. Regardless of how we felt about Mick, those were definite strengths for his tenure. I am comfortable with Brannen in all areas except recruiting. That remains to be seen as he will be chasing a different breed of cat now (no pun intended). Nick as an assistant would help in that area and better prepare him for future opportunities. I think it was a good, somewhat safe hire, a short term opportunity lost but probably a better long term steady solution. The other thing is how much are the past players who seem upset, really helping the program? I have seen minimal involvement over the years so whats the loss? We didn't get K Marts son, Gaffneys son, nor do I really recall anyone we have landed that attributed their commitment to one of these guys involvement. Nelson and maybe Blount have been the only past stars to stay regularly in the mix. I would be more concerned with pleasing big donors and long standing loyal fans than a few ex players who have kept their distance since their hay days.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

I'm not sure. We won a lot of really close games last year (5 pts or less), and the two senior guards were difference makers in most of those wins. I think the losses of Jenifer and Broome are bigger than a lot of us thought.
                        I suppose I may be in the minority here...but I think I will always remember Broome for taking ill-Advised shots that led to opponent rebounds. They did not show up in the stat sheet as turnovers...but they were effectively turnovers. It drove me crazy watching it...to the point I charted it for 5 games in the middle of this past season. I counted 21 out of 25 "turnovers" only hit the stat sheet as missed shots, and then I gave up charting out of frustration. I would argue some of those close games they won were only close because of the poor decision making by Broome. I promise you, I will not be missing him on the court.

Perhaps overly harsh... but here's a comparison of recent 2-year guard transfers. You be the judge

Player A: 65 games, 25.4 min, 9.6 pts, 1.5 ast, 1.2 stl, 2.2 reb, 3-pt % 36.6, FT% 80.8
                        Player B: 69 games, 20.9 min, 8.1 pts, 2.5 ast, 0.8 stl, 1.6 rebm 3-pt% 33.3. FT% 73.2

Player A = Farad Cobb (2014-16)
                        Player B = Cane Broome (2017-19)

Cobb was arguably the better player...and I don't recall many/any Bearcat fans missing him on the court after he left.

Comment

Has Oscar said anything?

Comment

I agree with RedDog. What have we been getting from the previous players. No recent players of note that i can remember. We have to get out of this Cincinnati provincial thing of hiring only those we know. We have one final four in 30 years. If Van Excel wants to coach let him be an assistant here like other programs do. I'm willing to give Brannen a chance. I think we will see the right amount of emphasis on defensive principals but finally an offense with some flow and decent 3 point shooting. It will be interesting to see if we lose some of the current players which was a risk anyway. If I'm some of them I'd like a change to develop my offensive game.

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post
                              Has Oscar said anything?
                              He has not to my knowledge. The last public event that I've seen Oscar at was the NBA HOF speech he gave for the lifetime achievement award. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he was at any games this past year which makes me think he's not doing well heatlhwise. I don't have anything to support that, just a hunch.

Along the lines of Oscar, I posted to Twitter last night that outside of Nick not getting an interview, no minority candidates seem to have gotten an interview as far as anyone outside the department knows. Now they may have and it didn't get out but on the surface that's probably a bad look to a lot of the former players. I have to think Oscar would not be very happy with that either. As someone pointed out to me, the athletic department itself is very diverse in their hiring practices and gets an A grade from diversity advocates so this is not a systemic problem. Just seems weird that you have two minority candidates in Nick Van Exel and Frank Martin and neither of them interview? Frank turned it down but still. Nick was broadcasting his interest.

I'm not trying to create an issue here where there isn't one because it looks from my perspective that Brannen was probably the pick from day one and giving an interview to Nick may have pointless anyway. Unlike pro sports there's no Rooney rule about interviewing minority candidates.

I'm not sure that Nick would want the assistant position if it was offered unless he has no NBA prospects. I can't imagine he wouldn't take a massive pay cut going from NBA asst. to college assistant but then right now I'm not sure he has a job. The HC at Memphis was let go last week and I'm not sure he's still on the payroll.
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

The players are now getting behind Brannen.

nick vanexel‏Verified account @vanexel31 29m29 minutes ago
                                Good morning tweeps. First I'd like to say congrats to @coachbrannen on becoming our next coach at UC. Everyone has opinions and that's fine. And everyone is not going to like everyone's opinions. That's fine also. The opinions are showing me that everyone has passion and want the best for the program. Nothing wrong with that. What shouldn't happen is division. Let's welcome him and help him succeed for our program and the student/athletes. He did a great job at NKU let's give him a chance to do a great job at UC. Peace.

Terry Nelson also put out a statement supporting the the new coach.

Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X