Who's on your short list?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's on your short list?

Ok, chime in. Give me five coaches you want here. They can be dream hires or up and comers.

Mine, in no order

John Brannen
    Nick Van Exel
    Porter Moser
    Russell Turner
    Experienced assistant of blue blood

+1

Shaka Smart if Texas runs him off.

Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Van Exel should be the front runner for the job.... Shaka Smart is the only other known name out there... Van Exel would be a perfect fit for this program... As Corie Blount & Terry Nelson just posted, Van Exel would be a shot of Adrenalin, much needed for this program..

I would consider Nick #1 Candidate, I believe the recruiting would be elevated immensely.... I said all along, I would take more offense and less defense... I think more 4 & 5 Star Recruits would consider playing for UC now...

At the end of the day, Mick leaving might be what this team needs to take the next step... and maybe will advance past the first weekend in the NCAA Tournament going forward!

A little less YELLING, might just rejuvenate the players, and make them better in the long run!

Comment

Casey Alexander at Lipscomb and Matt M. at Murray State are both good candidates in my book. I've been impressed watching their teams play on both ends of the court. Younger guys as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BearKatz View Post
        Van Exel should be the front runner for the job.... Shaka Smart is the only other known name out there... Van Exel would be a perfect fit for this program... As Corie Blount & Terry Nelson just posted, Van Exel would be a shot of Adrenalin, much needed for this program..

I would consider Nick #1 Candidate, I believe the recruiting would be elevated immensely.... I said all along, I would take more offense and less defense... I think more 4 & 5 Star Recruits would consider playing for UC now...

At the end of the day, Mick leaving might be what this team needs to take the next step... and maybe will advance past the first weekend in the NCAA Tournament going forward!

A little less YELLING, might just rejuvenate the players, and make them better in the long run!
        I hear this, but i do not think Nick is as dialed into the AAU seen as Penny or Stackhouse are. That's not a reason to not look at him, but i wonder how well he would recruit given he hasn't run a college program.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post

I hear this, but i do not think Nick is as dialed into the AAU seen as Penny or Stackhouse are. That's not a reason to not look at him, but i wonder how well he would recruit given he hasn't run a college program.
          This.

Penny was head coach at the HS level and the sponsor of the AAU team that most of his local recruits played on. That’s why he was able to get those guys.

I like Nick and I know he’s a capable coach but he has no recruiting ties. He’s been in the pros for years. He would have to get certified again to recruit and sometimes that takes a while.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Unfortunately, the history of NBA stars returning to their Alma Maters is littered with mediocre to terrible results. Chris Mullen just left St. John's, but the Red Storm underperformed under his watch. He had no NCAA coaching experience coming in. Patrick Ewing has had only one year on the job at Georgetown, but the Hoyas weren't up to John Thompson III standards. Penny Hardaway may turn out to be fantastic, especially considering his recruiting advantages in the ripe Memphis area, but the Tigers didn't play half-court defense. Clyde Drexler was … really out of his element.

I won't mind if Bohn contacts Nick Van Exel, but I hope he's not at the top of the list. Let's bring in someone who has had success in the NCAA D1, not only in understanding that the college game is different from the NBA, but has a recruiting network, so that he can hit the road running.

Comment

John Brannen
              John Brannen
              John Brannen
              John Brannen
              John Brannen

I'm a UC diehard, but also an NKU grad. I've watched what Brannen has done very closely. He's a good in game coach and does a great job developing his players as well. He would be a home run hire.

Comment

Van Exel has contacted UC, Bohn has not returned the call yet apparently. Not a big deal considering evything going on today for Bohn.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Nick Van looks a lot like Clyde Drexler. Brannen is our guy.
                  My son starts UC MedSchool August ‘19 Black/Red

Comment

One guy who i have heard mentioned from two unrelated friends not in town is Richie McKay who is the head coach at Liberty. He was Bennett's assistant for quite a few years. Somebody also mentioned J Thompson3. We'll see, always interesting.

Comment

Look, everybody has great points on this thread... But think about this for just a second.... A BIG part of being successful comes down to recruiting players, GOOD PLAYERS!

Looking at Brannen, Alexander , & the Murray State Coach, all (3) have been successful within their division... We've seen Coaches Dominate at lower levels / divisions, move up for that big pay day... Shaka Smart for example, and fail.

We even hired a former Head Coach from Murray State, and when you sit back and look at the X's & O's, Mick was probably just slightly above average... Lotta Winning Seasons after he turned the train-wreck around, few division titles, a couple of Championships.... A few that probably got away.... and a BELOW AVERAGE NCAA TOURNAMENT RECORD... One, just one Sweet 16 Appearance in (8) Consecutive Tournaments... That spells failure, and why, was he always out coached ? Just very bad draws ? Or was it the LACK OF TALENT?

This is where I feel Van Exel will come into play..... If your a TOP 50 Recruit, lets say a PG for example..... and ALL 3 come knocking on your door, who are your going to be impressed with / swayed by?

Brannen: Who has had success of late in the Great Lakes Valley?

Alexander: Again, who has had recent success in the Atlantic Sun Conference?

Van Exel: Current NBA Assistant Head Coach, Former NBA Player, All Star , (13) Seasons, 3rd Team All American at UC, Starting PG on a Final 4 & Elite 8 Teams...

Out of those (3), who would you be impressed with the most? If your a 17/18 Junior or Senior ready to make a commitment.... Who would you trust to get you NBA Ready ?

It's an easy choice when you sit back and think about it.... I have no idea if Van Exel would be a decent coach or not, but I would lay $,$$$,$$$ he would end up being a better recruiter... I wouldn't be surprised if Van Exel got the job, and had other former Bearcats or NBA players as assistant coaches... That goes along way when your sitting in someone's living room...

My biggest gripe all year, has been overall lack of talent... Not enough players show up at the same time to win! Just my opinion ... Regardless, whoever UC ends up hiring, all of us will supportive.. When your a die hard fan, you always dream of success.

Comment

Van Exel has no experience recruiting players at D1 level. It's more organized and time consuming that having played in the Nba. One name that would be a long shot is Kenny Payne at Uk. He's worked with Cal quite a while and is well connected. Not sure how good he would be as a game coach on his own, but he knows the recruiting game.

Comment

Brannen has had success in the Horizon League, a very solid mid-major league, not the GLVC. NKU has been D1 for a few years now. What's he's done in taking over for Dave Bezold there is nothing short of amazing. He was also a fairly successful player as well. Obviously not on the level of Van Exel (my favorite Bearcat of all time, it's worth noting), but he was a very solid player and is a very good communicator as well. I really think a lot of people who haven't followed NKU are selling Brannen way short.

Comment

1. Rick Pitino
                            2. Erik Martin
                            3A John Brannen
                            3B. Nick Van Exel
                            5. Jon Scheyer
                            Cory Huffman
                            Cin City

Comment

I actually am very intrigued with Jon Scheyer. Not sure if thats even a remote possibility, but it could be interesting. The guy is connected.
                              Cory Huffman
                              Cin City

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X