Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t believe so either.

Comment

I don't think he was pushed out so much as the lack of fan and booster support from some corners bothered him and he knew it wasn't getting any better. Bohn basically structured the the last version of the contract so he had to succeed in March. I'm not sure whether Mick didn't think that was fair or whether he didn't think he could do better than he previously had here and that made it unfair.

He often used the excuse that it's hard to recruit to the AAC or UC. I think it probably is hard to recruit to UC but at this point the AAC argument doesn't hold water thanks to Penny Hardaway. It appears on the surface that something fishy is going on in Memphis but that's probably a whole separate thread.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I have to give my better half credit here. When Cronin cancelled his last radio show after the Iowa loss she said he's definitely gone. She speculated that if he was 95% gone to a bad job at UNLV, he'd jump as soon as he got any offer from teams like Tennessee or UCLA. She was right, I was wrong.

It now appears those who said he'd never leave his alma mater and home town were wrong too. He wanted to leave, and when the opportunity came he took it.

As far as not being able to recruit to the AAC or UC, a lot of that was on him. Very few elite players want to play his style of basketball. He should do better with the resources out there, but time will tell.
        Last edited by longtimefan; 05-14-2019, 05:22 PM.

Comment

I think in all of this gets lost he was here 13 years which is a long, long time in coaching alma mater or not. There's a heck of a lot of coaches who themselves say change is good. It's not limited to coaching for that matter. I chalk this one up more to that than anything.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
            I have to give my better half credit here. When Cronin cancelled his last radio show after the Iowa loss she said he's definitely gone. She speculated that if he was 95% gone to a bad job at UNLV, he'd jump as soon as he got any offer from teams like Tennessee or UCLA. She was right, I was wrong.

It now appears those who said he'd never leave his alma mater and home town were wrong too. He wanted to leave, and when the opportunity came he took it.

As far as not being able to recruit to the AAC or UC, a lot of that was on him. Very few elite players want to play his style of basketball. He should do better with the resources out there, but time will tell.

I will agree on the recruiting... other teams in the AAC land quality 4 & 5 Star Players.... We (UC) were lucky to land (1) every couple of years... Two things in years to come will be interesting to watch:

1) Will Cronin have better luck recruiting for UCLA? If he recruits better than he did at UC, then will know it was either the league or the school that was a turnoff ....

2) Will Brannen in years to come, land more high level recruits.... If he does not, and has a hard time like Mick, again will know the league or school has something to do with it... If Brannen starts landing quality players, then will know Mick was the issue...

I can't wait to see how UC & UCLA compare in recruiting over the next 3-5 years...

Comment

Have to wonder what the UC guys think when they see stuff like this tweet from Rothstein

"It remains to be seen if this group of UCLA players fully embraces Mick Cronin's culture, but the group he inherited in Westwood sans Jaylen Hands, Kris Wilkes, and Moses Brown has more sheer talent than any roster he had at Cincinnati."

If I'm playing for UC I really would love to face UCLA in the tournament and kick their butts. I hope the players feel that way.

Comment

Originally posted by BearKatz View Post
                I can't wait to see how UC & UCLA compare in recruiting over the next 3-5 years...
                There should be no comparison. He's in the richest recruiting area in the west and he has a ton of help from supporters of the program. In fact, there are many top-flight recruits who have grown up dying to be a Bruin, driven by their dads and grandpas. His problem will be knowing how to coach players who don't need a couple of years of grooming. He's also a bad 2nd half coach, so it will be interesting to follow his career out there. The Huggins tree branch leaves UC after 30 years and goes west.

Comment

Originally posted by Carin's Dad View Post
                  The Huggins tree branch leaves UC after 30 years and goes west.
                  The more I think about this the better I feel. It's time for something new after all these years. Between those two coaches we reached the second weekend only twice in the last 24 seasons, and the 2001 team only had to beat 13 seed Kent State in the round of 32 to advance that time. I think the time for that particular style of coaching is over. I'm glad to be moving on.
                  Last edited by longtimefan; 05-14-2019, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carin's Dad View Post

There should be no comparison. He's in the richest recruiting area in the west and he has a ton of help from supporters of the program. In fact, there are many top-flight recruits who have grown up dying to be a Bruin, driven by their dads and grandpas. His problem will be knowing how to coach players who don't need a couple of years of grooming. He's also a bad 2nd half coach, so it will be interesting to follow his career out there. The Huggins tree branch leaves UC after 30 years and goes west.

Their is a huge comparison, the Coach...Yes, he might be located in Central LA....But if the kids do not like the Coach, or the style he presents, then they will not play for him.... Not everyone's last name is Ball, and your forced by your father to play for a team... Maybe you want to, maybe you don't .... Bottom line, Cronin is the common denominator in all of this ... His charm will wear off quickly if he can't get past the first weekend...

Comment

The style of play is huge. Particularly if Miller stays at Arizona. He's pulling in a lot of west coast kids, but there is enough to go around. However, it remains to be seen if the kind of kids who have gone to Ucla recently who are highly rated are going to embrace defense.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X