No announcement yet.

Cronin to UCLA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I certainly wish Mick all the best in his new role. Tough to turn down a position at UCLA. I have remained a fan of Mick and am firmly in his corner. I admire and appreciate his long term consistency in running a CLEAN program and winning. I will never forget his words after the UC-XU brawl...classic Mick. However, his inability to win in the NCAA Tournament was a thorn in his flesh. It seems most fans don't value conference championships and conference tournament championships. Not that he has won a boatload of those either, but 3 of 4 opportunities in the last 2 years. Deep runs in the tourney eluded him here, but to an extent Huggins had the same issue for many years after the final four and final eight with Nick, Corey and the gang. People fear change because they over-value what they have and under-value what they could have. Change is here, we will see how it shakes out. Sometimes it's good to get fresh blood into an environment, so while I am sorry to see him go and will miss him, I welcome the future and new possibilities.
    Last edited by Bearcat-in-Italy; 04-10-2019, 07:54 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=BearKatz;n364951]The Score is Reporting Nick Van Exel is very intrigued by the Head Coach Vacancy and is getting lots of backing from former players:[LIST]

48 people are talking about this[/URL]
      "I love Nick as a replacement," Terry Nelson, another former teammate and UC's radio analyst, told The Enquirer. "I would love to see him get this job and get the community back involved like Penny Hardaway is doing for Memphis."

Did anybody else find this comment to be interesting? Or telling?

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
        Of all people, RIck Broering did a cost analysis of the two deals and it came out to 100K above what he makes now when adjusted for cost of living in Cali and CA tax rates. It only looks like a raise and it makes our administration look stupid in my opinion.
        Was thinking the same thing. Admittedly this is a crude comparison but should help illustrate the point this move cant be just about money (assuming Mick’s agent ran a similar analysis).

Asumptions:
        UC salary - $2,200,000/year
        UCLA salary $4,000,000/year

Cost of living adjustment 1.5435X (LA is 54.35% more costly than Cincinnati).

Mick would need ~$3.4 million in LA to maintain the same standard of living that $2.2 million buys in Cincinnati.

https://www.bankrate.com/calculators...alculator.aspx

The cost of living calculator does not explicitly mention income taxes, though one would assume home ownership costs factor in property taxes so we will adjust for income tax.

State income tax adjustment:

Ohio top marginal bracket - 4.997%
        California top marginal bracket - 13.3%
        State income tax rate differential = 8.303%

So if we adjust headline base salary down $4,000,000*(1-0.08303) we get $3,667,880; not materially higher than the $3.4 million needed just to maintain current living standards. And this is before factoring in travel costs or cost of second home to visit family locally.
        Last edited by Binturong05; 04-10-2019, 10:43 AM.
        "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.

Comment

[QUOTE=Geaux Juan;n364980]
          Originally posted by BearKatz View Post
          The Score is Reporting Nick Van Exel is very intrigued by the Head Coach Vacancy and is getting lots of backing from former players:[LIST]

48 people are talking about this[/URL]
          "I love Nick as a replacement," Terry Nelson, another former teammate and UC's radio analyst, told The Enquirer. "I would love to see him get this job and get the community back involved like Penny Hardaway is doing for Memphis."

Did anybody else find this comment to be interesting? Or telling?
          I found that very interesting as well. Terry doesn't hold back. I took that as Terry wasn't too upset to see him go.

Comment

[QUOTE=hipal88;n364985]
            Originally posted by Geaux Juan View Post

I found that very interesting as well. Terry doesn't hold back. I took that as Terry wasn't too upset to see him go.

For some unknown reason, a few Bearcats under Huggins were not that happy with Mick.

Comment

Kenyon Martin and Ron Allen attended today's introductory press conference

Cronin said telling his UC team he was leaving was the hardest thing he's ever done, short of losing his mom

Said he'd like to see Darren Savino get a head coaching job and be in the mix for UC, but 100% would have a spot on the UCLA staff if he wanted

Added there are some young guys who will likely come with him. I think this was in reference to his UC staff. I'd guess Greg Y would likely join him. I hope Mike Rehfeldt stays, but even if he wanted to stick around, no guarantees the next head coach would keep him here.

Comment

[QUOTE=BearKatz;n364989]
                Originally posted by hipal88 View Post

For some unknown reason, a few Bearcats under Huggins were not that happy with Mick.
                Huggins and many fans felt that Mick stabbed Huggs in the back for taking a good role with Pitino at Loserville. They felt this way because Mick didn't consult Bobby about a desire to get multiple perspectives as an assistant in his pursuit to become a head coach. It was bitter he said she said stupid stuff. Had Mick asked Huggins for permission, Bob would've likely counseled Mick against it. It was self serving on both parts: Mick wanted to learn from one of the best and offered to bring Rick recruits in return. Bob wanted to grow his coaching tree and keep a valuable assistant and recruiter. Both knew what the other was thinking and if Mick really wanted to leave Huggins then keeping it silent was likely the best way. It took a long time for them to be civil to one another. Who knows when/where Mick would've got his shot had he stayed with Huggins, but he was berated for making a lateral move instead of leaving for a head job at some two directional name school. Add in that Mick had the confidence to believe in himself and tried to make it on his own without any of Huggs' players. Lots of hard feelings over the way it was handled more than the fact that he switched mentors.
                Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X