NCAA Tournament Observation.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Tournament Observation.

Finally over another disappointing 1st Weekend Tournament Loss... Unlike last year, we didn't make it past the first game... Pointless to say, another Heart-Breaking Loss, after leading almost the entire game, and up (13)pts at one time...

1) 28-7 Season Record is outstanding , finished in 2nd place overall and won the AAC Tournament.... This was suppose to be a rebuilding year and we finished above most expectations.

2) Hard to complain about a 28-7 Season Record.... Or is it? The Big Question I have, is 28-7 good enough anymore ? Is finishing 1st or 2nd in the League, playing for (3) AAC Championships in a row, and winning back to back , ENOUGH ?

3) We recruit hard working young men, with good work ethics in and out of school.. No longer are we the poster child for recruiting Thugs! These are good well spoken young men, that Mick is able to coach up... So how could anyone have an issue..

4) Next years team will be much improved over this years team, as long as Cumberland comes back... Brooks & Scott will be even better... Hopefully Williams progresses into a 12-15pt Junior Year... Add Curtis and I wouldn't be surprised if this team doesn't avg 80pts a game... I'm guessing Cumberland will increase his pt output by 3-4pts next year ...avg 20-24pts....Sounds like another great year... Maybe a few more turnovers with Jenifer....Johnson will only get better....So what's to complain about ???????

5) EMBARRASSING NCAA Tournament Record over the last decade ... Takeaway beating Florida State to advance to the Sweet 16 a few years ago, what have we done? Losing the way UC does, takes away from everything accomplished throughout the year... NOT in my eyes / the rest of us in the forum, but to the Commentators, Committee , and everyone who writes and talks about the team... Excluding Seth Greenburg.... Who actually likes UC !

Ever listen to Jason Williams snicker when UC is mentioned nearing the NCAA Tournament ? Do you wonder why ? Because he knows no matter what we're seeded, chances are we will underachieve.. Painful to say he is right...

6) SOMETHING has to change ....28-7 is just NOT good enough anymore... I would probably lay $$$$ that next years team with Cumberland back, finishes 29/30 wins , with 3/4 losses ... Sounds like a banner year with us exiting in the 1st weekend again... Maybe this team needs a new identity , because the hard working Defensive minded philosophy no longer gets us past the 1st weekend! I would settle for a little less aggressive defense and more capable scorers ... Like the Boys from Iowa who burned us in the end...

It only takes one offensive relapse from this team, and we're finished....The 1st Houston Game is a perfect example, we lead the entire game, and could not score in the last 5 minutes.... Iowa Game, we fell-apart in the final 5 minutes again... No one could score except Cumberland in the final 2 minutes...

The Players and the system Mick is teaching, has not produced in the NCAA Tournament.... Either Mick learns to adapt and recruit more offensively gifted talent... or maybe it's time to move on? I remember when Huggins was fired and we were speculating on possible head coaches.... Bruce Pearls name came up quite a bit, and most were against it for good reasons.... Well look at Auburn now.... Not a bad hire, plays a good defense , but knows how to recruit high offensives talent as well....

28-7 is a spectacular season for most, but it's just not enough anymore... For what it's worth.

Bruce Pearl is going down in flames. Just sayin'

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...16/3301783002/
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
      Bruce Pearl is going down in flames. Just sayin'

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...16/3301783002/

It was just a matter of time.... My comment about Pearl, I was just saying how much better we might be with more of an offensive philosophy...

Comment

I don't want Mic to leave or be shown the door. I would like him to swallow his pride & hire an offensive minded assistant coach. I don't care how well you play defense, you won't win if you don't score
        more points than your opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatjd View Post
          I don't want Mic to leave or be shown the door. I would like him to swallow his pride & hire an offensive minded assistant coach. I don't care how well you play defense, you won't win if you don't score
          more points than your opponent.

Amen.... I don't believe he will ever do that, since he's a Huggins Disciple, and Pitino for that matter... The only difference Pitino recruited kids who could score and usually had a very good defense... Bottom line, I do not believe most scorers want to play for UC... That's why I feel something needs to change.

Comment

I would like to bring up one last thing in regards to the Tournament and Recruiting... Been a lot of talk among us in regards to UC's last available scholarship.... Many of the contributors in this forum feel UC needs another PG... Do u still feel that way after this tournament ??? I have been preaching all season we need a Quality Big Man !! If that's not apparent after Brooks fouling out and no capable backup to take his place, then what's it going to take to change your minds ?

Does anyone really feel confident that Diarra or Nsoseme will be capable backups next year ? The answer is NO! Cumberland & Johnson can handle the PG duties...As the year goes on, probably less and less Cumberland hopefully...

UC has got to land a gifted Big Man who can step in right away, not a project ... If i'm 6'9" above, and still have not made up mind for 2019.... Looking for immediate playing time, I'm seriously looking at UC.

Comment

Originally posted by BearKatz View Post
              I would like to bring up one last thing in regards to the Tournament and Recruiting... Been a lot of talk among us in regards to UC's last available scholarship.... Many of the contributors in this forum feel UC needs another PG... Do u still feel that way after this tournament ??? I have been preaching all season we need a Quality Big Man !! If that's not apparent after Brooks fouling out and no capable backup to take his place, then what's it going to take to change your minds ?

Does anyone really feel confident that Diarra or Nsoseme will be capable backups next year ? The answer is NO! Cumberland & Johnson can handle the PG duties...As the year goes on, probably less and less Cumberland hopefully...

UC has got to land a gifted Big Man who can step in right away, not a project ... If i'm 6'9" above, and still have not made up mind for 2019.... Looking for immediate playing time, I'm seriously looking at UC.
              I think Nsosme's ankle injury was worse than we were led to believe. Hopefully he improves dramatically in his sophomore year. I have no idea what to expect from Toyambi and Hardnett. Hardnett looked really thin in the preseason, Toyambi was more of a wide body. Hardnett listed at 6'8, Toyambi 6'7. If we can get a quality big I'm all for it though.

Comment

5) EMBARRASSING NCAA Tournament Record over the last decade ... Takeaway beating Florida State to advance to the Sweet 16 a few years ago, what have we done? Losing the way UC does, takes away from everything accomplished throughout the year... NOT in my eyes / the rest of us in the forum, but to the Commentators, Committee , and everyone who writes and talks about the team... Excluding Seth Greenburg.... Who actually likes UC !

Ever listen to Jason Williams snicker when UC is mentioned nearing the NCAA Tournament ? Do you wonder why ? Because he knows no matter what we're seeded, chances are we will underachieve.. Painful to say he is right...

6) SOMETHING has to change ....28-7 is just NOT good enough anymore... I would probably lay $$$$ that next years team with Cumberland back, finishes 29/30 wins , with 3/4 losses ... Sounds like a banner year with us exiting in the 1st weekend again... Maybe this team needs a new identity , because the hard working Defensive minded philosophy no longer gets us past the 1st weekend! I would settle for a little less aggressive defense and more capable scorers ... Like the Boys from Iowa who burned us in the end...

The Players and the system Mick is teaching, has not produced in the NCAA Tournament.... Either Mick learns to adapt and recruit more offensively gifted talent... or maybe it's time to move on? I remember when Huggins was fired and we were speculating on possible head coaches.... Bruce Pearls name came up quite a bit, and most were against it for good reasons.... Well look at Auburn now.... Not a bad hire, plays a good defense , but knows how to recruit high offensives talent as well....

28-7 is a spectacular season for most, but it's just not enough anymore... For what it's worth.
                All great points. Well said. Also consider these stats:
                • Mick's Win/Loss Record against ranked opponents (Last 5 years): 8-18, 31% Winning Percentage
                • Mick's Win/Loss Record against ranked opponents in OUR CONFERENCE (Last 5 years): 4-11, 36% Winning Percentage
                • Games UC outscores the opponent in 2nd Half against ranked opponents: 7 of 26, only 27% (3 of 4 games he does not)
                • This season, UC was outscored in the 2nd Half against ranked opponents by a total NET of 216-196 (-12.5%)
                These analytics indicate he can't win big games - even against our own conference. And that he clearly gets out-coached in the 2nd half. Regardless of anyone's opinion or excuses, the stats speak for themselves...

Like most, I want him to be successful. As someone mentioned, maybe he just tweaks a few things and stops being so stubborn. But these stats are glaring, not just in the tournament, but even in our own conference!

Comment

I think DIarra will turn out to be ok but I really don't think he's a 5 at all though. He's had to play the 5 because of Nsoseme's injury. He's more like a stretch 3. I've also seen several people close to the program say that Toyambi will be a 3 year starter at the 4 position. He'll be plenty capable of taking over for Trevon Scott. That's leaves Hardnett who is a bit of an unknown quantity. He's really a 3 as well but I honestly haven't heard much about him regarding potential or even how he does in practice. Doesn't mean he won't be fine, it's just that there's no buzz, like at all.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

I think DIarra will turn out to be ok but I really don't think he's a 5 at all though. He's had to play the 5 because of Nsoseme's injury. He's more like a stretch 3. I've also seen several people close to the program say that Toyambi will be a 3 year starter at the 4 position. He'll be plenty capable of taking over for Trevon Scott. That's leaves Hardnett who is a bit of an unknown quantity. He's really a 3 as well but I honestly haven't heard much about him regarding potential or even how he does in practice. Doesn't mean he won't be fine, it's just that there's no buzz, like at all.

Couldn't agree more... I will be the first to say, I was wrong early in the Season wondering why Mick would not play Diarra... It was clearly more evident as the season went on....He's not a 5, he's probably a 4 with a scorers mentality, and light years away from being good defensively...I have not heard much about Toyambi, but I do know Hardnett has great ball-handling skills for his size...Which makes him somewhat of a wildcard to what he will actually play, I'm guessing a 3.

We really need a skilled bigman in the worst way...

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X