No announcement yet.

Coaching Carousel 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Said it before that Mick was not a good fit for a program like that. They fired Ben Howland partly because of his half court style of play. Makes you wonder if UCLA kind of panicked after missing on so many other guys.
    Oh well. Thanks Mick. All the best to you and your family.

Comment

• Originally posted by blackattack View Post
      Said it before that Mick was not a good fit for a program like that. They fired Ben Howland partly because of his half court style of play. Makes you wonder if UCLA kind of panicked after missing on so many other guys.
      I agree. I don't see Mick fitting in the LA scene personality wise or coaching style. LA wants showtime, not defensive battles in the low 60's.

Comment

• regardless of the perceived fit and potential longeveity of his success in California, you just can't turn down over 100% raise. this was a financial and life altering decision that just outweighed the normal evaluation process. It doesn't matter how successful Mick is out there, he can ride off into the sunset a rich man. I hope UC didn't overvalue Micks ties to Cincy and think they had the upper hand and low ball him. IF they all of a sudden come up with big bucks to hire a new man that they wouldn't give Mick, then I WILL be pissed.

Comment

Said it before that Mick was not a good fit for a program like that. They fired Ben Howland partly because of his half court style of play. Makes you wonder if UCLA kind of panicked after missing on so many other guys.
          The money is not anywhere near what they offered Cal, and, with a little inflation, isn't much more than they paid Alford, who signed a 7 year, $18.6 million deal in 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by RedDog View Post
            regardless of the perceived fit and potential longeveity of his success in California, you just can't turn down over 100% raise. this was a financial and life altering decision that just outweighed the normal evaluation process. It doesn't matter how successful Mick is out there, he can ride off into the sunset a rich man. I hope UC didn't overvalue Micks ties to Cincy and think they had the upper hand and low ball him. IF they all of a sudden come up with big bucks to hire a new man that they wouldn't give Mick, then I WILL be pissed.
            You have to factor in the cost of living in LA vs. Cincinnati. Twice the pay on paper doesn’t mean double the disposable income. Housing is just one example of the increased cost of living between the two cities.

Comment

• On another note. Chris Mullin just resigned at St. John's for personal reasons.
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post

You have to factor in the cost of living in LA vs. Cincinnati. Twice the pay on paper doesn’t mean double the disposable income. Housing is just one example of the increased cost of living between the two cities.
                He'll still come out ahead. The bigger payday is if he's successful. That given Ucla's recent track record will almost certainly up the pay from what he was inked for. They will not risk him leaving there for another stop if he gets them back in contention. Translated, more money.

Comment

• Steve Alford has landed at Nevada per Jeff Goodman
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• I wonder what Bill "the Conference of Champions" Walton will have to say about Mick. He recommended Barack Obama.

Comment

• Originally posted by MI Bearcat View Post

I agree. I don't see Mick fitting in the LA scene personality wise or coaching style. LA wants showtime, not defensive battles in the low 60's.
                      I should clarify my earlier comments about Mick not being a good fit for UCLA. I absolutely do believe he will be successful there. Wildly successful??.....we'll see. You take Mick's drive and his intense competitive nature and assuming he's able to pull high 4 star and some 5 star kids, and they could be a force for years to come in the PAC 12. I'm pulling for him.
                      One problem that the HC at UCLA always has that I was not aware of, but that Mike Decourcy mentioned, is the issue of agents. They're a problem everywhere in college basketball, but especially on the west coast around L.A. That has the potential to torpedo your program at any time.
                      Last edited by blackattack; 04-10-2019, 07:33 PM.

Comment

I should clarify my earlier comments about Mick not being a good fit for UCLA. I absolutely do believe he will be successful there. Wildly successful??.....we'll see. You take Mick's drive and his intense competitive nature and assuming he's able to pull high 4 star and some 5 star kids, and they could be a force for years to come in the PAC 12. I'm pulling for him.
                        From LA Times: UCLA basketball is no longer a blue-blood program, it is a blue-collar program, one that can be fixed only with rolled-up sleeves and grinding work and a guy unafraid of both.

UCLA basketball is, to be perfectly honest, a lot like Cincinnati basketball, which makes lifting Cronin from the Bearcats not a forced or fumbled decision, but a good one.

He is a timely hire. He is a great fit. He might have been their umpteenth choice, it might have happened inadvertently, perhaps completely by accident, but somehow the Bruins got this one right.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...409-story.html

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X