Final observation - regular season.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final observation - regular season.

I had to think long and hard before issuing this post! Obviously a very disappointing loss yesterday, especially on Senior Day.....

1) Seniors: Jenifer & Broome combined for (9) total pts, (3) rbs, and (7) Total Assist's.... Sounds like an AVERAGE game for just one player....Not two! Add another (12) pts and we're right in the game... Too much to expect (12)pts from each of them? The two of the them will leave UC, the same way they entered ? AVERAGE !!

2) Scott & Brooks played well enough for us to keep it close / win... (23)pts , (14) rbs not bad....Could have been better on the Rebounding...Most would consider that an AVERAGE game...

3) Cumberland: About (7) Games ago teams figured out, don't let Cumberland beat you and you've got a great shot at beating UC..... That's the recipe, (3) losses later ...If Cumberland is double teamed, is their anyone else this team can count on to score consistently? The answer is NO! Every now and then a player steps up.... ( Scott) against UCF has the game of his life, where was Brooks....A no Show....and that goes vice versa almost the entire season for the both of them....Would anyone blame Cumberland right now if he wanted to take his chances in the NBA?

4) Keith Williams, Moore , & Fredericks: (9) Total pts and (2) rbs.... SERIOUSLY ??? I didn't even play, and the three of them only had (2) more rebounds then me! Williams had an average game, I wouldn't even call the effort by Moore or Fredericks AVERAGE.....Below Average at best!

5) I said this many times throughout the season.... For the most part we have AVERAGE Players... Except for Cumberland who plays like a 5 STAR Recruit, and Williams who SOMETIMES plays like a 4 Star Recruit.... Besides that, we have 3 Star Players.... Which spells AVERAGE !!!

6) AAC Tournament: We actually get a small break playing Temple...But? I wouldn't be surprised right now if we lost...Would you? If by some miracle we face UCF in the Championship, I'll give the edge to UC... If we face Houston for a 3rd time, expect to lose by 15-20pts....

7) NCAA Tournament: I'm guessing anywhere between a 6-8 Seed Possibly... That being said, I would expect a loss in day 3 or 4.... Unless a LIGHT turns on for a few of these guys, can anyone in this forum really see UC advancing past the first weekend ?

8) Bottom line: Average Recruits = Average Team....and that's what we have for the exception of (1) Player who can be counted on consistently... Unless he's being Double and Triple teamed at times... I have been saying it all year, we need to recruit higher caliber players....AND?? If we're not winning the recruiting battles, with a new arena, 8 consecutive NCAA appearances.....Then WHO / WHAT is the problem?

9) All the above spells: AVERAGE.
    Last edited by BearKatz; 03-11-2019, 05:31 PM.

No, not average. There are 353 teams playing Division 1 basketball. UC will be in the tournament with 67 other teams. That would put them in the top 20%. A seed of 6 to 8 puts UC in the top 7-9%. That's not average.

We all dislike the way the season ended, but don't let confirmation bias affect the fact that UC had an unexpected, pretty good season.

Comment

Originally posted by Geaux Juan View Post
      No, not average. There are 353 teams playing Division 1 basketball. UC will be in the tournament with 67 other teams. That would put them in the top 20%. A seed of 6 to 8 puts UC in the top 7-9%. That's not average.

We all dislike the way the season ended, but don't let confirmation bias affect the fact that UC had an unexpected, pretty good season.

I understand where you are coming from.... I probably should explain myself better... I'm using the term average among upper echelon teams... Not in the AAC or in the field of 353 teams... But when we play top 25 teams, or we're in the Big Dance competing against the elite (67) teams.... UC's record shows we're average amongst the best teams in the country.....

Comment

I can agree with you there. We all hope for better; I truly believe the separation by the Power (Money Grabbing) 5 is killing us. In theory it shouldn't; it should mostly matter in football. But listen to any commentator and there is real creep into basketball. It seems UC and the AAC are between the P(MG)5 and the mid-majors, and have been for a couple of years. It's wrong, considering the size of our university and alumni, facilities, history, etc., but I think it's the "reality". And THAT is what's hurting our recruiting.

That said, HC Cronin has a program that mostly succeeds. We just need to catch lightening In a jar to advance in the NCAA tourney.

Comment

I feel we had a great year considering the loss of talent from last year. I went to every game & two road games, loved the wins & hated the losses. Let's hope we can get our shooting % up for the tourney & make a run. Either way, I believe we had a great season!

Comment

I am a DIE HARD UC fan when it comes to Basketball.... Regardless who is coaching this team etc.... I guess my biggest beef, and I can't totally agree with everyone on the recruiting or lack of.... Memphis is also in the same conference .... I feel confident we've all looked and seen who they have incoming... Same can be said about Houston etc.... X is another fine example, even if they are in the Big East... (4) Top 150 Players incoming... For some reason the 4 and 5 Star recruits we go after, do not want to commit to UC... We get one every couple years... That's just NOT getting it anymore....

Comment

Most of the 4 and 5 star recruits are offensive players who can go to other schools and not play defense and still stay in the game. They are not going to play for Mick who will yank them out of the game after every missed defensive assignment and scream in their face on their way to the bench. We get the borderline players that know they have to become better defensively to increase their chances of making it to the NBA. Hopefully some of these players will develop and stay until they're seniors like last year for us to have any chance of a deeper run in the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by MI Bearcat View Post
                Most of the 4 and 5 star recruits are offensive players who can go to other schools and not play defense and still stay in the game. They are not going to play for Mick who will yank them out of the game after every missed defensive assignment and scream in their face on their way to the bench. We get the borderline players that know they have to become better defensively to increase their chances of making it to the NBA. Hopefully some of these players will develop and stay until they're seniors like last year for us to have any chance of a deeper run in the tournament.
                so how deep was the run last year.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X