Undecided 2019 Recruits - Top Big Men

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undecided 2019 Recruits - Top Big Men

I was taking a look at the available Big Men still Undecided for 2019... I looked at Top 150 Recruits, 6' 9" and above with Offensive Skills... I compiled the following list still available:

Jaden McDaniels
    Precious Achiuwa
    Trendon Watford
    Carl Lewis
    Tristan Enaruna

We have (1) remaining scholarship still open? Jenifer & Broome will graduate this year.... Incoming we have Samari Curtis, a 6'3" SG.... The (5) Prospects I listed have Teams like KY, Duke etc... A couple have Uconn & Memphis ... I would think we would have a legitimate shot with at least one of them? We definitely have more to offer than Uconn at the moment...

If I was a top Prospect looking for immediate playing time, how could you not consider UC? Is it the Coach ? Is it because we preach Defense First ? Anyone of those players has better post moves around the basket than what we currently are throwing out there... I think everyone would agree by now, Brooks & Scott are limited, and can not finish around the rim on a consistent basis...

I noticed in the SMU Post a lot of the members are saying at least we're Winning! Yes we are ! Another 20 plus win season, another NCAA Tourney Birth..... And with the way this TEAM is currently playing, will be done by the first weekend.... Is that good enough ?

I think we all agree Mick can coach? So what's the problem ? Coaching Philosophy ? Or the talent level of the players Mick is coaching?

We have (1) solid 4 Star Recruit and it shows.... We have a fringe High 3 / Low 4 Star recruit in Williams.... After that, what do we have ? A lot of Mid Level 3 Star & 2 Star Recruits.... and it shows !

You can not compete with the upper echelon and expect to win with that talent level.... and we don't!

Looking at the Top 150 Recruits for 2019.... Memphis will dominate in years to come, if Hardaway can coach! Even X has (4) top 150 recruits incoming next year! When was the last time UC had 3 or 4 Top 150 Recruits committed ? Huggins ?

I don't know what the problem is with recruiting, but we will not advance deep in the NCAA Tourney with this level of talent.... No matter how hard they work! For what it's wrorth....

You have to consider this...if one of these guys wanted to come here, we'd listen. Have we even recruited them? We have Brooks and Scott that will be seniors next year. Eli a Jr. Mamadou a Soph. Then toss in Gillam and Hardnett...thats 5 guys that can rotate the 4-5. And while I think Hardnett will brought along slowly, I do think Mamadou and Gillam will see some time next season in relief of Trevon and Nas. Eli will be the first big off bench. IMHO, the '20 class is where we need to focus on a PG, wing, and big. Just a thought.
    Cory Huffman
    Cin City

Comment

Too my knowledge Achiuwa is the only one of the guys we actively recruited at any point. He's also eliminated us from his list of schools if I'm not mistaken. Mick and Savino know the family as we recruited his brother God's Gift a few years back. I'm not sure whether that's good or bad.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

As Bret stated the only one on that short list we recruited was Achiuwa..... My thought was, it's late in the game, and those (5) are undecided which makes me think believe they could be second guessing themselves on where to go etc.... Personally I would make a strong push at one of them.... Hardnett & Gillam are true 4's who will likely see time in Scott's current position... Eli at this point would be the only consideration as a Center.... and if we're okay with 5-8 rebounds a game, and 4pts so be it.... I would use Diarra as a 4 as well, he does not have the body type to bang down low....

I looked at the JUCO Ranks and their are no big time centers worth grabbing....

Comment

Originally posted by BearKatz View Post
          …...I noticed in the SMU Post a lot of the members are saying at least we're Winning! Yes we are ! Another 20 plus win season, another NCAA Tourney Birth..... And with the way this TEAM is currently playing, will be done by the first weekend.... Is that good enough ? …...
          Of course we all want more, but let's add some perspective. I lived through the dark days of probation after Catlett through the first two years of Coach Huggins (the end of '77 until 1992) without a sniff of the NCAA tournament. I remember how happy I was when Coach Yates al least got us into the NIT, but then how disappointed I was when we landed in the NIT at the end of '90 and '91. So I always ask myself, "Self, would you rather be in the NCAA and out early, or not in it al all"? And Self always says, "I'd rather be in".

And like the Ohio Lottery says, "You can't win if you don't play".

Comment

We need added depth at the pg position.

Comment

Agree PG is priority one short term. I thing Johnson is going to be fantastic but we need a true second option. Cumberland can help in spells IF he comes back but that's about it currently

Comment

Don't be surprised if Cumberland plays quite a bit of point next year. I seem to remember Mick saying he would like Cumberland to play lighter next year and handle the ball more, which will help his NBA stock. Logan Johnson will most likely start next year, but who else plays there? Can Curtis help or is he more strictly a 2?

Comment

I trust Mick and his ability to find a diamond in the rough (Gary, Jacob, SK).

However, I do wonder why UC doesn’t get a 4-5 star every few years. If I’m not mistaken, Lawerence was our last 5 star player and he didn’t turn out like UC had hoped.

Curtis was a McD All-American candidate and chose UC which dropped his ranking. We all know if he would have chosen Duke, his ranking would improve along with his McDonalds chances.

Former KMart Ball Boy

"Graduation is the key, period. I am on a mission to stop the exploitive nature of college athletics. We must make sure our kids graduate and have opportunities to have productive and happy lives." -MC

Comment

Originally posted by CroninCrazy View Post
                    I trust Mick and his ability to find a diamond in the rough (Gary, Jacob, SK).

However, I do wonder why UC doesn’t get a 4-5 star every few years. If I’m not mistaken, Lawerence was our last 5 star player and he didn’t turn out like UC had hoped.

Curtis was a McD All-American candidate and chose UC which dropped his ranking. We all know if he would have chosen Duke, his ranking would improve along with his McDonalds chances.

Yes, Jermaine Lawrence was UC's last 5 Star Recruit, and prior to that it was Lance.... Had Samari Curtic chose UNC, Duke , Kansas, KY, MSU etc....He would have been a top 25 Player ... So he chooses UC and becomes a top 125 player....lol

Comment

Originally posted by BearKatz View Post

Yes, Jermaine Lawrence was UC's last 5 Star Recruit, and prior to that it was Lance.... Had Samari Curtic chose UNC, Duke , Kansas, KY, MSU etc....He would have been a top 25 Player ... So he chooses UC and becomes a top 125 player....lol
                      Exactly...
                      Former KMart Ball Boy

"Graduation is the key, period. I am on a mission to stop the exploitive nature of college athletics. We must make sure our kids graduate and have opportunities to have productive and happy lives." -MC

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X