No announcement yet.

L.A. Times: Mick Cronin, Thad Matta among UCLA basketball coaching candidates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L.A. Times: Mick Cronin, Thad Matta among UCLA basketball coaching candidates

L.A. Times: Mick Cronin, Thad Matta among UCLA basketball coaching candidates

The grinder: Mick Cronin

Why he’s attractive: Cronin, 47, essentially slipped his resume onto UCLA athletic director Dan Guerrero’s desk when his teams thumped the Bruins in each of the last two seasons. Cincinnati has won at least 22 games in eight consecutive seasons under Cronin, advancing to the NCAA tournament each time, and is on pace to do so again. His teams are gritty and always among the best in the nation defensively. Cronin also possesses the wit to win over recruits and the national media, who have all but ignored UCLA in recent years.

Reservations required? Cronin has advanced to a regional semifinal only once in his 12 seasons at Cincinnati, raising questions about his ability to make a deep NCAA tournament run. And the passionate, forthright demeanor that endears him to many can irritate others who prefer more restraint.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...rt/3000497002/

Former KMart Ball Boy

"Graduation is the key, period. I am on a mission to stop the exploitive nature of college athletics. We must make sure our kids graduate and have opportunities to have productive and happy lives." -MC

Might sound selfish, but I hope not.... Give it to Matta, that jerk would fit in perfect out there.... Mick needs to stay put in Cincinnati...

Comment

I never seriously consider Mick leaving, but this is a blue blood with unlimited money and prospects.
      Former KMart Ball Boy

"Graduation is the key, period. I am on a mission to stop the exploitive nature of college athletics. We must make sure our kids graduate and have opportunities to have productive and happy lives." -MC

Comment

Not a good fit, unless Mick wants to use it for more leverage like he did with UNLV

Comment

Originally posted by RedDog View Post
          Not a good fit, unless Mick wants to use it for more leverage like he did with UNLV
          Mick got his new arena ... money would be the only thing UCLA could offer which doesn't look so great considering the higher cost of living and job stability.

Comment

Last time he got nice bumps for assistant coaches. I think he's comfortable with his personal package but there always seems to be something else coaches want money for. Lets just hope this is the annual smoke and no substance.

Comment

The more I thought about this, the more I thought UCLA was flattering themselves by calling Mick a candidate. The way I look at it, he may very well be on their short list of desireables but to call someone a candidate infers mutual interest or an application for the position. I don't believe that has happened

Comment

Can't picture this move AT ALL. Mack leaving X last year still stuns me, so anything is possible, but I just can't see this one. The only thing more important to Mick than the Bearcats is his daughter, and she has a very good home here. If he left, I would have to think it would be for somewhere within about 500 miles of here. I don't see him leaving, and hope he stays for a very long time.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X