Houston 3/10 12:00 CBS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Burk View Post
    Not sure why Mick left JJ and Broome in the game when they both played poorly, other than them being Seniors. I think Logan Johnson should see more playing time, he brings great defense, rebounding and energy.
    It was senior day so i understand with their families et. al they need to play. That said, JJ can't keep up with the quickness of their backcourt guys and played limited minutes down there. Broome does a pretty good job of keeping up with them, but i honestly believe their 4 or 5 guard rotation may be as good as any this season in d1. You don't see to many teams ever that can bring 2 guards off the bench(Hinton and Jarreau) who can drop 27 on a team. That's a luxury. Hinton was 4/4 and they were daggers. He's only about a 30 pct shooter for the year. Funny thing is we shoot for the year almost the same percentage from 3 as they do. LOL. However, they've dropped quite a few more. We offered HInton out of high school as well, but unfortunately didn't get him. The only way we beat that rotation is if we see them on a cold day. Tough match for us.

Comment

Originally posted by SawyerHall68 View Post
      Please don't take me the wrong way. I love bearcat basketball and football. My issue is with coach Cronin. Last year the team had many players, good enough, to have advanced deep into the tournament. They should have beaten a very good Nevada team. They were beating Nevada very badly and then they totally fell apart. The coach did not call time outs early in Nevada's miraculous run. The team had the players but not an offensive scheme to utilize their talent. This year the talent is much less. Many games this years could easily been losses; however, they gutted them out for wins (maybe they overachieved-Good for them). The team still has no offensive schemes and now with less talent it would be expected that they would have a difficult time with good teams. Houston has many very talented players that shared the scoring and were capable. Cumberland just can not do it himself. I can see frustration building in Cumberland with each game now. I don't see any help coming for him next year; consequently, I would not be surprised that he will leave for the NBA at the end of the season. UC is a big university and should be able to draw great players such as Houston, SMU, UCF, etc.; but we don't. A great player like Cumberland, just isn't enough. Either we get a new coach that knows how to teach offense AND defense or Mick needs to get an offensive coordinator to devise schemes that can be built upon from year to year. It just seems like his team is built on defense and defense only. That stifles players to mature offensively. I guess, after a approx. decade, I expect the team to be able to advance deeper into the tournament. I'm frustrated …. thanks for listening.
      Actually today was very similar to the Nevada game last year, both teams had great depth and multiple scorers that wore us down. But unlike last year they get a chance to atone for such a miserable performance. This team is not as bad as they looked today, and they're not as good as they looked against UCLA. They get another chance to show what they're made of.

Comment

I wouldn't compare this to Nevada for a whole host of reasons, but your point about not being as bad as they looked is correct. Houston doesn't shoot 52% from 3 as a rule of thumb like they did today. You can make a lot of 3 point defense, but they were exceptionally accurate today. It was a much, much closer contest down there when they shot their normal average. They obviously finished with a torrid pace. That said, they have more offensive options than us, particularly off the bench and that's a definitely an issue for Uc when they oppose a team like this. Guys, like Scott, Jenifer and Broome who didn't shoot well have to produce offensively against top 10 teams. They didn't get much of anything done today. I'll be curious if we see Logan Johnson a little earlier in game this weekend. He appears to be a little more confident offensively. His time is about to come. Ready or not.

Put in perspective today's game, we were up 6 with 13 minutes to go.If you're not going to rebound the ball better, you better shoot the ball better. Can't struggle on both fronts.
        Last edited by coach; 03-10-2019, 11:28 PM.

Comment

This game flipped fast. Was driving home from the Heart Mini Marathon downtown, tuned into game and Cats were up 36-32. Then it seemed like 2 minutes later we were down 12........good golly molly. Houston was on fire. Feel bad especially for the seniors Broome and Jennifer. Need to catch a well deserved break here and get ready to go again in the AAC tournament.

Comment

Please don't take me the wrong way. I love bearcat basketball and football. My issue is with coach Cronin. Last year the team had many players, good enough, to have advanced deep into the tournament. They should have beaten a very good Nevada team. They were beating Nevada very badly and then they totally fell apart. The coach did not call time outs early in Nevada's miraculous run. The team had the players but not an offensive scheme to utilize their talent. This year the talent is much less. Many games this years could easily been losses; however, they gutted them out for wins (maybe they overachieved-Good for them). The team still has no offensive schemes and now with less talent it would be expected that they would have a difficult time with good teams. Houston has many very talented players that shared the scoring and were capable. Cumberland just can not do it himself. I can see frustration building in Cumberland with each game now. I don't see any help coming for him next year; consequently, I would not be surprised that he will leave for the NBA at the end of the season. UC is a big university and should be able to draw great players such as Houston, SMU, UCF, etc.; but we don't. A great player like Cumberland, just isn't enough. Either we get a new coach that knows how to teach offense AND defense or Mick needs to get an offensive coordinator to devise schemes that can be built upon from year to year. It just seems like his team is built on defense and defense only. That stifles players to mature offensively. I guess, after a approx. decade, I expect the team to be able to advance deeper into the tournament. I'm frustrated …. thanks for listening.
            I have some of the same frustrations. I am certainly not the expert on the matter, but over the years, I have been disappointed in this coach's ability to win big games. Even more frustrating is that he doesn't make changes to his program to address the shortcomings, but rather takes the same approach, year after year. At this point, we know what we have, and if everyone is satisfied, then great. If the fan base wants more, I think your point that we may need a new coach that knows how to teach offense is spot on. Of course, I realize there is alot of risk in that, and a new coach could certainly fare worse instead of better.

Comment

I want a coach who refuses to allow his team to quit. He talks tough, but you have to play the game and not talk.

Comment

Was the Cats quitting on national TV, good for recruiting. Clark Kellog was bragging right off the bat for UH. The highlights showed a horrible UC effort.

Comment

You guys really need to lighten up with all of the negativity. You must not have suffered through the Ed Badger and Tony Yates years, like a lot of us older guys did. I define success as the following:

Win 20+ games a year
                  Make the NCAA Tournament every year
                  Battle for the regular season conference championship
                  Be competitive in the conference tournament
                  Run a clean program
                  Push student athletes to excel in the classroom

According to my scorecard Mick gets an A+ for this season, especially when you consider the talent we lost from last years team.

How many of you naysayers support UCATS with more than a token donation, if any at all? I put my money where my mouth is and donate extra each year.

If you want a winner with no moral or academic scruples, good riddance and go follow UK or UNC.

Randy Brown
                  UC AsE '82
                  Last edited by Barklee; 03-11-2019, 12:59 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

I get what you're saying about the way Cronin has coached in game; however, Cumberland is not the only talented player on this team. Stars in recruiting magazines are heavily weighted toward players recruited my schools with large subscription base. Cumberland is good, but Williams, Brooks, Broome, Scott, and Jenifer are also talented. Everyone has a role and the team cannot be blamed for recruits Mick missed or chose to go elsewhere.
                    Those guys you named are talented, to a point. But not as talented as the other players that were playing for Houston this year. The point is we should be getting just as good if not better than Houston, which we are not by a long shot. Brooks, Broome and Jenifer have gone absent for multiple games at a time this year. I'm hoping Williams decides to use his athletic ability more next year. And I don't think anyone is blaming the team for the recruits Mick missed, they are blaming Mick himself.

Comment

Well said, Gilenerm, well said. And Barklee must have slept through the Huggins' years when we were feared across the land. Look, we are 10 years into this rebuilding project. I don't see it ending and this is as good as it gets. If you are happy with it, then UC should drop down to D2 or D3. I would rather raise the bar than lower it.

Comment

I share a lot of these thoughts. I really believe that our "success" has a lot to do with the competition we are playing. If this team played against the teams we were playing in the old Big East, we would be looking at a .500 record. Mick has underachieved with the game plan and his inability to coach any sense of offense. People always look at his defensive game plan and say "wow" he must be a good coach. How'd that work yesterday against a good team? It's easy to play defense against a bad Tulsa, USF, ECU, UCONN, Tulane, etc team and pad your defensive statistics. If Mick is so great, how is it that the only team to come looking at him all these years was a desperate UNLV team?

Sorry, but I was fuming at the game yesterday and I still haven't settled down. Mick looked like he had no clue what to do yesterday and I have very little confidence in him right now. He went to a smaller lineup and we got run 11-0, then he just switched out guards for guards. I don't think we had less than 4 guards the entire time we got run in the second half. That to me is Stupidity! He complained after the game that we were getting killed on the boards. No *****! Maybe don't play 4 guards?

Comment

Originally posted by hipal88 View Post
                          Well said, Gilenerm, well said. And Barklee must have slept through the Huggins' years when we were feared across the land. Look, we are 10 years into this rebuilding project. I don't see it ending and this is as good as it gets. If you are happy with it, then UC should drop down to D2 or D3. I would rather raise the bar than lower it.
                          Let’s not overreact to losing to a very good Houston team and a road loss to UCF with a shot to tie at the end. I share the frustration of the lack of offense by Cronin’s teams. But, after the game against tO$U, how many of you thought we would be sitting at 25-6 at this point? And be honest. I said the team would not make the NCAA tournament based on that performance. And they are now solidly in.

However, what hope do we as fans have that the team will have a sustained run in the NCAA tournament? Most likely, none. They probably won’t survive to the Sweet 16 and may even lose in the first round. This team was fortunate to win a lot of close games that could have made its record far worse than it sits now.

Cronin definitely needs to reflect on the state of the program and his philosophy. He needs to decide the direction he wants to take the program and make decisions accordingly to advance that objective. As others have pointed out, other schools in the conference are getting better talent and will likely leave UC behind. Houston, Memphis, UConn, UCF and even USF. If he decides to keep pursuing the same coaching philosophy, I think it’s fair to predict that he will have the fourth or fifth best program in the conference. Will this be enough for the fan base, and more succinctly, the donors who the new arena was refurbished for? If Cronin cannot recruit well given the beautiful venue in which UC plays, then there really is a need to examine what other coaches may be able to do with the program.

Comment

Originally posted by hipal88 View Post
                            Look, we are 10 years into this rebuilding project. I don't see it ending and this is as good as it gets. If you are happy with it, then UC should drop down to D2 or D3. I would rather raise the bar than lower it.
                            Rofl!!! Most laughable comment I've heard on the internet so far this year. I didn't know that 9 consecutive years of making the NCAA tournament constituted as rebuilding. I am happy with that, but that does not mean I do not want to see my team go farther and that I am settline. To drop down to D2 or D3 because they're not consistently making the Sweet 16 every year is just surreal in my opinion.

Also "Those guys you named are talented, to a point. But not as talented as the other players that were playing for Houston this year" --They were talented enough to compete for the league championship the last game of the year, so either we have the same talent as them, or this team has overachieved, you can't have both. I personally think it's the latter. This year was supposed to be a rebuilding year after losing 3 starters, but we're in the tourney again, and almost won the regular season conf title.

Comment

No one said anything about making the sweet sixteen every year. Heck, I'd like to see them make it more than once a decade. The delusional fans love it when they splash up that graphic about being in so many consecutive tournaments. Great. Great. Sorry for wanting a little more from the program. Enjoy your participation medal.

Comment

I go to other schools’ fan boards a lot & almost all of them have a “fire the coach” thread, which this one has become. A bad loss and the roof is caving in.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X