All Time Great Cumberland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Corporateballa View Post

I played with Roger. I saw our old coach Tony Yates last summer at a funeral. He did not look well. Roger was a McDonald’s All-American our of Champagne, IL - 6’5” lights out shooter. The year that Louisville won the national championship in 1986. Roger gave them 35 points in Freedom Hall. Deny Crum called him one of the top five players in the country. We lost by 1. They were ranked #1 at the time.
    Actually, UC beat UofL that night at Freedom Hall, 84-82. It occurred 1/20/86. The game wasn't televised. I recall sitting in a parking lot listening to the broadcast.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

Actually, UC beat UofL that night at Freedom Hall, 84-82. It occurred 1/20/86. The game wasn't televised. I recall sitting in a parking lot listening to the broadcast.
      Yeah, I went to that game. I remembered that McClendon had that great game and we won, but not the final score. I mostly remember being in a great mood on the long drive home.

Comment

Eric Hicks has been mentioned a few times. One of my favorites for sure, but Hicks had something Cumberland will never have....You remember those faces?!!! When Hicks would throw down a dunk or block a shot....I thought sure some of the bricks in the wall would collapse with the insane, mean-mug he would craft!

Comment

I know I'm getting old when I've seen McClendon play and been to the Metro Conference tournament twice.

Sorry to hear about Tony Yates health. I liked Tony despite the way his coaching tenure played out. Good guy.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Corporateballa Now I've gone down the rabbit hole. You still in contact with Joe Stiffend and Cedric Glover? Cedric was one of my favorite players from that era.
            Last edited by Lobot; 02-09-2019, 11:13 AM.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I saw Cedric Glover working in the Chevy sales department at Wyler Eastgate about three years ago. I didn't approach him, though.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

Yeah, I went to that game. I remembered that McClendon had that great game and we won, but not the final score. I mostly remember being in a great mood on the long drive home.
                Was at that game also, but wife and I had a very short drive home as we were living in Louisville at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                  Corporateballa Now I've gone down the rabbit hole. You still in contact with Joe Stiffend and Cedric Glover? Cedric was one of my favorite players from that era.
                  Hey Brent! Ced lives in Mason. His daughter was an elite HS player. She signed with X

his son is probably 16 or 17 now. He was like 6’4” as a 12 year old the last time I saw him.

I havent seen Joe since homecoming 2011.
                  My son starts UC MedSchool August ‘19 Black/Red

Comment

Glad someone mentioned Roger McClendon. He could hit from the coke machine in the lobby. Wondering what his totals would have been had the 3 point shot been around back then. The Bearcats when I was in school that I most remember were Jim Ard, Lloyd Batts and Rick Roberson.

Comment

I was walking through Florence mall after going to a game last season at NKU, my kids got excited and seen Jarron standing talking to a friend. They ran up before I could stop them and I believe my 6 year old daughter gave him a hug. He was very nice to my kids and took a picture. He asked if I was going to the next game which I told him I wasn’t able to do with the kids having a basketball game around the same time.
                      I just liked how accommodating he was to my children and such a wonderful ambassador to the University of Cincinnati. Especially in Wildcat country. He said he doesn’t get recognized down there too often lol.
                      He made two fans for life that day with my kids.

Comment

Back to the draft thing. Anyone who's got ESPN insider (+) want to tell me where he ranked in DraftExpress's just updated mock draft this morning?
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
                          I saw Cedric Glover working in the Chevy sales department at Wyler Eastgate about three years ago. I didn't approach him, though.

I would still have to say he is the player who most improved during their career of anyone i've seen in my 35 yrs as a season ticket holder. He was in the band in high school i believe and came to bball late. He was a load inside with a nice touch. Believe those with the old Metro Conference years with Va Tech, Lvl, Florida St. etc. at the gardens.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X