All Time Great Cumberland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Time Great Cumberland

We are watching another Kenyon Martin, Steve Logan, Sean Kilpatrick and I'll throw my personal favorite Eric Hicks into the mix. This Bearcat is doing amazing things on the court. Carrying a team just like the players I mentioned. If he sticks around for his senior year (which he should) he could challenge for second place on the career scoring list.
    I would say from where I've watched that with out Jarron this season we are looking at a near .500 basketball team.
    Steve Logan comes to mind with the shooting, like Logan he can get a shot off with minimum space with accuracy not seen since the Logan days. The Freight Train has the body like a Hicks just goes through defenders with how fast he gets to the rim. The IQ and basketball sense is up their with Sean Kilpatrick, just comes up with the timely play, gets to the rim and the line. He's carrying his team like greats from the last 25 years. When all is said and done I say this is and will be Cronin's best recruit in his Cincinnati career.

Bearcat fans, we are watching greatness, lets enjoy this while we can.

I agree 100%. JC is carrying this team. He has the best head fake & not sure why more players don't use it as often. I truly hope he stays for his senior year.
    One of the best Cronin recruits for sure, if not the best!

Comment

I agree 100% as well. He is in the top 5 of my favorite Bearcats of all time. This team would be sub .500 without him, but let’s not forget how important Justin is to this team. He has come so far in the past 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Joco41018 View Post
        We are watching another Kenyon Martin, Steve Logan, Sean Kilpatrick and I'll throw my personal favorite Eric Hicks into the mix. This Bearcat is doing amazing things on the court. Carrying a team just like the players I mentioned. If he sticks around for his senior year (which he should) he could challenge for second place on the career scoring list.
        I would say from where I've watched that with out Jarron this season we are looking at a near .500 basketball team.
        Steve Logan comes to mind with the shooting, like Logan he can get a shot off with minimum space with accuracy not seen since the Logan days. The Freight Train has the body like a Hicks just goes through defenders with how fast he gets to the rim. The IQ and basketball sense is up their with Sean Kilpatrick, just comes up with the timely play, gets to the rim and the line. He's carrying his team like greats from the last 25 years. When all is said and done I say this is and will be Cronin's best recruit in his Cincinnati career.

Well said. I've been taking the guy for granted. Hope he sticks around for another year.

Comment

This team reminds me of the 2010-2011 UCONN team when Kemba Walker put the team on his back and carried them through to the national title. I'm not saying we're going all the way, I just see a resemblance between Cumberland and Walker with Jarron imposing his will on the team to win.

Comment

Originally posted by Joco41018 View Post

Finally someone other than myself is giving credit where credit is due! Where would this team be without Jarron Cumberland this year ? I was thinking this morning, if Jarron were to get hurt and be out the rest of the year, would we even win another game ? Subtract his 18-25pts per game, and we're below .500 Team... Iv'e been saying it ALL SEASON , he is undoubtedly this team's most talented player.... and will go down as one of the All Time Great to play UC Basketball..... That's a fact !!! When I think of Top (5) Favorites, Cumberland definitely makes the list....

Steve Logan
            Eric Hicks
            Melvin Levette
            Kenyon Martin
            Jarron Cumberland

And if we're talking Top (10), you might as well add:

Sean Kilpatrick
            Danny Fortson
            Bobby Brannen
            Nick VanExel
            Rueben Patterson

Just to name a few.... Jarron should get strong consideration for being an All American this year, he deserves it....Hopefully he comes back next year....This team will be deadly adding Curtis to the mix....

Comment

Originally posted by BearKatz View Post

Finally someone other than myself is giving credit where credit is due! Where would this team be without Jarron Cumberland this year ? I was thinking this morning, if Jarron were to get hurt and be out the rest of the year, would we even win another game ? Subtract his 18-25pts per game, and we're below .500 Team... Iv'e been saying it ALL SEASON , he is undoubtedly this team's most talented player.... and will go down as one of the All Time Great to play UC Basketball..... That's a fact !!! When I think of Top (5) Favorites, Cumberland definitely makes the list....

Steve Logan
              Eric Hicks
              Melvin Levette
              Kenyon Martin
              Jarron Cumberland

And if we're talking Top (10), you might as well add:

Sean Kilpatrick
              Danny Fortson
              Bobby Brannen
              Nick VanExel
              Rueben Patterson

Just to name a few.... Jarron should get strong consideration for being an All American this year, he deserves it....Hopefully he comes back next year....This team will be deadly adding Curtis to the mix....
              One major oversight here: What about Oscar? He's only the greatest player ever at UC.

Comment

That's because only those of us probably 70+ actually saw and appreciated Oscar; there are others from a while ago like Jack Twyman, Paul Hogue, etc., to name a few. But there aren't a lot of us around anymore who watched these guys.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

One major oversight here: What about Oscar? He's only the greatest player ever at UC.

Absolutely..... My issue, I NEVER saw him play.... So I base my favorites on Bearcats I have watched over the years since I started following the Team in 90....

Comment

There was also Roger McClendon in the 80's. Smooth as silk shot. Wish he could have played on some better teams.

Comment

I hope he learns from Jacob Evans experience that just because he could get drafted, it doesn't mean that he is NBA ready. I think that Cumberland could really help himself by sticking around for his senior year.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilenerm View Post
                        I hope he learns from Jacob Evans experience that just because he could get drafted, it doesn't mean that he is NBA ready. I think that Cumberland could really help himself by sticking around for his senior year.
                        Evans still got the big bucks ... and that is what is so enticing.

Comment

Originally posted by cpawstoney View Post

Evans still got the big bucks ... and that is what is so enticing.

That, and the fact is Cumberland is not Evans....and the NBA loves scorers.... Cumberland has an NBA Body, and would produce his first year in the league.... Evans has a lot of talent, but is very passive as Cumberlands mentality is to score.... I hope he stays another year.....But I would not blame him if he was guaranteed a 1st Round Pick...
                          Last edited by BearKatz; 02-08-2019, 06:55 PM.

Comment

I absolutely am thrilled with the season he is having. I'm not sure I agree that Cumberland has an NBA body? Is he strong yes, physical yes, however the NBA while a league that places a premium on scoring is seeking length, wing span, and athleticism. JC does not have those 3 things. I obviously hope he returns because the thought of this team or next year's team without him is not one I want to dwell on. Unfortunately, him sticking around another year those traits won't develop. I hope Mick is correct that having him play more on the ball next year will help his stock rise as his basketball IQ is up there, aside from his tendency to slack off defensively from time to time. I don't think he is anywhere near a first round lock this year and therefore hope he returns to show this year was no fluke and possibly convince someone to draft him in round 1 after having another super season. Back 2 Back Conference Player of the Year winner would be hard to ignore and hopefully he makes 2nd or 3rd team all american this year as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BearKatz View Post

Absolutely..... My issue, I NEVER saw him play.... So I base my favorites on Bearcats I have watched over the years since I started following the Team in 90....
                              I played with Roger. I saw our old coach Tony Yates last summer at a funeral. He did not look well. Roger was a McDonald’s All-American our of Champagne, IL - 6’5” lights out shooter. The year that Louisville won the national championship in 1986. Roger gave them 35 points in Freedom Hall. Deny Crum called him one of the top five players in the country. They were ranked #1 at the time.
                              Last edited by Corporateballa; 02-09-2019, 12:04 AM.
                              My son starts UC MedSchool August ‘19 Black/Red

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X