UConn 1/12 8:00 ESPN2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post

I thought you were puzzled by the negativity on this forum after the Tulsa game. The defense really needs work, especially three point shooting defense. I agree with Lobot that the problem is over helping on opponents. However, this has long been a problem under Cronin. If they would just play their positions/guard their man on defense and not double team and help so often, I think their defense would be more sound. I realize at times the plan is to double team a player, but they are leaving their man too often, IMO.
    Yes, I still am. The predictions of a 13-3 team missing the tournament makes no sense. 14-3 now. Getting experience while winning is a beautiful thing!
    Coach Cronin get well soon!

Comment

We are emphasizing our match up zone as our primary defense. We double down nicely and harass the bigs but for some reason we also like to triple down which if we don't get an immediate steal, kick outs are to wide open guys for 3's. This has been a consistent theme as everyone we play has career nights for making 3's and hardly make any 2's. I think we are overly helping on defense and just can't rotate fast enough back out to contest 3's. This doesn't happen when we play straight man defense.
      "Mr. Cumberland" continues to hurt our offense, or should I say Micks approach to using him. I have no idea what game you are watching Geaux Juan, but we really stagnate when he has the ball and everyone watchs and waits for a late shot clock desperation shot. He is a good kid and a good player but we are just asking too much of him and he's trying to carry the team which hes not capable of. We are struggling every game playing this way and totally dependent on him having a good game. We are clearly offensively challenged but this approach obviously isn't the solution. We need offensive flow and better distribution and Cumberland will get the same number of points with half the shots.

Comment

For you to say that Cumberland is not capable of carrying the team, is 100% inaccurate. Not sure how many games you've watched this year, but I will point you to one perfect example. The Tulsa game, specifically in OT, he took over and carried the team, not just in scoring, but also assisting.

Mick during the Uconn post game show was very upset even though th team won. He was particularly upset with a couple of players that were not sticking to the game plan. I believe he was talking about Cane Broome as he mentioned 5th year senior. You can game plan and watch film study and walk through it with your players as much as you want, but if your players don't execute or go along with the plan during the game, that's a whole different issue.

Comment

As I said last week, Cumberland had a great OT against Tulsa but a terrible 40 minute game prior to that. He is being asked to do too much. He is forcing bricks, getting his shot blocked with wild drives, and in general struggling to carry this team. He would greatly benefit from less pressure and a better team concept.
          As far as a game plan and players sticking to it.....perhaps they are getting frustrated also with certain things and doing whatever they can to help us win. That's not a good excuse, but it just might be reality. Mick complaining that we didn't get the ball to Cumberland late so everyone could go 4 corners and watch is just absurd and further supports my arguments.
          We just played three conference bottom feeders. Lost to one and beat the other two in OT. I don't think this approach will work against better teams. We have enough talent to succeed in this league but need to reexamine our scheme both defensively and surely offensively.

Comment

Seems like this forum is 50/50 when it comes to Cumberland & Keith Williams...As far as Best / Most Talented Player ,this current Team has...Cumberland is the workhorse and that will continue the rest of the year...The offense will continue to flow through Jarron, it's UC's best option....

I would be more concerned with our Big Men... Brooks & Scott are probably are worse Front Court since Mick took over UC..... We were out Hustled and out Muscled against 6-6"3 Guards... and Uconn probably had the weakest Front Court in our division... Bottom line, as of now, we have no help on the way... Samari Curtis is our only incoming Freshman so far.... Next year will probably be Mick's most talented Guard combination since coaching UC.... Cumberland , Williams , & Curtis will score some points.... Unless Mick starts using Diarra, we're in big trouble.... Maybe Prince Gillam & Laquill Hardnett really provide a spark in the Front Court, but if they progress like Diarra, we won't see them till their Junior Year.... We will need to land at least (1) Big Man who can step in and play immediately...

Comment

I'm actually encouraged by Brooks, !7/6/2 with 0 turnovers and only 2 fouls saturday night was excellent. His ft shooting cost us in the EC game, but overall he's come along well. Scott on the other hand has to throw down. He's often to much of a bystander, and has to bring it on every possession. He's just not making decisions quick enough on either end of the court. He's thinking way to much. You have to react a lot quicker. He gives the opponent way to much time/rope out there. This isn't high school. The guys he's playing against 75% of the time are just as good an athlete. He hasn't adjusted to that.

Comment

The frontcourt not stepping up is probably the reason why JC has been forced to do most of the heavy lifting. If we relied on Brooks and Scott to carry us, we'd be in big trouble. On the other hand, Keith Williams has been the best surprise so far this year. He looks more confident and can drive to the rim, or pull up the mid range. His 3 point shooting is still inconsistent, but I like his progression from last year.

Comment

Originally posted by BearKatz View Post
                  Seems like this forum is 50/50 when it comes to Cumberland & Keith Williams...As far as Best / Most Talented Player ,this current Team has...Cumberland is the workhorse and that will continue the rest of the year...The offense will continue to flow through Jarron, it's UC's best option....

I would be more concerned with our Big Men... Brooks & Scott are probably are worse Front Court since Mick took over UC..... We were out Hustled and out Muscled against 6-6"3 Guards... and Uconn probably had the weakest Front Court in our division... Bottom line, as of now, we have no help on the way... Samari Curtis is our only incoming Freshman so far.... Next year will probably be Mick's most talented Guard combination since coaching UC.... Cumberland , Williams , & Curtis will score some points.... Unless Mick starts using Diarra, we're in big trouble.... Maybe Prince Gillam & Laquill Hardnett really provide a spark in the Front Court, but if they progress like Diarra, we won't see them till their Junior Year.... We will need to land at least (1) Big Man who can step in and play immediately...
                  If's, maybe's, unless's, needs to's...I stand by they are good but great. Maybe they get in and maybe they don't. Either way they it won't be a long trip. I don't see next year being much different. And, Coach, you can shave your.....

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X