UConn 1/12 8:00 ESPN2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UConn 1/12 8:00 ESPN2

Quick turn with a travel day and a sick team so I'm crossing my fingers. Uconn's been up and down this season and haven't quite shaken the Kevin Ollie funk off them yet. They are 10-6 and 1-2 in conference play with losses to the state of Florida. Fortunately they played last night also, defeating SMU by 12 in Storrs. Alterique Gilbert is finally healthy this year. Along with Jalen Adams and Christian Vital, he makes up the bulk of the scoring. They really don't have an inside game and have no true center this year. Carlton and Polley are workable but the offense goes through the guards. The guards can shoot the three which is something we have struggled to cover recently.

I have not seen the Huskie play outside of the game against USF where they blew a 10 point lead on the road. They are not as defensively oriented as they were under Ollie.

If you're headed to the game. UC has advised you leave super early due to the 4-6 inches of snow that is forecast tomorrow. Good luck, we're all counting on you.

Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

This is a game UC could dominate on the inside... Brooks & Scott could have big games tonight... Uconn's only player above 6'8" (Tyler Polley) is averaging 8pts a game....Uconn rely's heavily on their guards to score...Hopefully our 3pt Defense is on tonight...:

On the season, UConn is averaging 78.4 ppg on 46.4% shooting from the field. The Huskies are averaging 7.6 three-pointers per game on 35.4% shooting from beyond the arc. Offensively, UConn has been led by Jalen Adams (16.9 ppg, 3. Rpg, 3.1 apg, 1.3 spg), Alterique Gilbert (13.2 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 3.8 apg, 1.4 spg), Christian Vital (12.7 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.7 spg), and Tarin Smith (9.3 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 2.2 apg, 1.1 spg).

UC: 75
    UCONN: 71

Comment

Line is UC -11.5
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Hopefully, the flu bug has departed. UConn has very little depth, particularly inside. Scott and Brooks could be major factors, if they're back to 100%. The Cats also need Jenifer to play with his usual floor command.

UC 71
        UConn 60

Comment

I had three heart attacks and went unconscious for a short period, but we won.

I know Hurley might rub some the wrong way, but I like how positive he is with his players.

Former KMart Ball Boy

"Graduation is the key, period. I am on a mission to stop the exploitive nature of college athletics. We must make sure our kids graduate and have opportunities to have productive and happy lives." -MC

Comment

I seriously doubt we will beat anyone by 11pts the rest of the year.... I know, a win is a win... but we did everything possible to loose that game in the last 30 seconds of OT. Jenifer misses (2) crucial FT's that would have sealed the game...The in-bounds pass to Williams....Wow! .... In the first half we were out played inside by 6'2" - 6'3" Guards... Brooks and Scott were totally out hustled....Mick wants to work on defense, try defending the 3pt shot for starters...Time to regroup for USF on Tuesday.... Go Bearcats !!!

Comment

I wonder if some of our deficiencies this year could be attributed to losing some coaching ability via LD

Comment

Wow...I just lost 5 lbs. I’m afraid every game is going to be just like this. The Cats played awful. Guys standing straight up on the perimeter watching guys shoot. Got out rebounded by 8 at home by a much smaller team.

Treyvon Scott needs to go to the bench. Keith Williams didn’t play nearly enough minutes. Every time Scott touches the ball he travels
                Coach Cronin get well soon!

Comment

That was by far their worst game of the season. Jennifer 4-8 from the FT line. Scott 34 minutes, 1 rebound. Hopefully this will be the first year they peak at tournament time.
                  Coach Cronin get well soon!

Comment

At his post-game radio interview, HC Cronin gave credit for the win to the fans. They (we) were loud, and probably would have shot FTs at the same rate as the team. HC Cronin was also very upset that Mr. Cumberland wasn't given the ball (as directed) at the end of the game, and was especially upset with Broome and Scott (didn't mention their names but eligibility and rebound statistic hints indicated who he was talking about).

That was a very physical game and UC came in second place in that category. But they won, and a win is still a win and for that I am thankful. And Mr. Cumberland remains very good.

Comment

I'm trying to find the updated stat but coming into the Tulsa game we were 250th in 3 pt defense. Showed up again last night. Guys are overhelping on opposing players trying to drive the lane, leading to wide open 3s. I don't remember this being a problem back when we were playing a straight up man to man defense.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Corporateballa View Post
                        That was by far their worst game of the season. Jennifer 4-8 from the FT line. Scott 34 minutes, 1 rebound. Hopefully this will be the first year they peak at tournament time.
                        I thought you were puzzled by the negativity on this forum after the Tulsa game. The defense really needs work, especially three point shooting defense. I agree with Lobot that the problem is over helping on opponents. However, this has long been a problem under Cronin. If they would just play their positions/guard their man on defense and not double team and help so often, I think their defense would be more sound. I realize at times the plan is to double team a player, but they are leaving their man too often, IMO.

Comment

Well we won! But I don't understand why teams are shooting well above 50% against us from the 3 pt line. Even if we don't guard them, the average at best 40% give or take.
                          I think we have to realize that we a decent team but not a great one. So from here on out, any win will be a good win.

Comment

Dan Hoard mentioned in his post-game comments that Jarron Cumberland drew 11 fouls on UConn defenders. He also hit 11 of 12 FT's, while the rest of the team went 14/26.

The main culprits were Cane Broome and Justin Jenifer, each of whom hit 4 of 8. Jenifer came in hitting at 85%. Last night was an aberration for him, but his few attempts on the season (22), allowed his % to drop to 72.7. Broome slipped to 76.7. Cumberland leads with 81.3% (aside from Trevor Moore's 3-for-3 on the season).

Comment

3 point defense is not a perfect science. In general, there are very, very few teams who can deny 3 pointers. Uconn going into that game shoots about the same % as us. We've just hit some teams on hot nights but they also took a heck of a lot of them, almost 30 if i recall correctly. I watch Ole Miss beat Miss. St. earlier in the day at Miss. St where we lost to them. I think they hit like 12 against us, but only managed 6 yesterday, and many of them were wide open looks. You live an die by the 3, and we won and should have won the game in regulation if we do a better job at the ft line. My bigger concern is the lack of production from both Tre Scott and the bench in some of these games. This team can win or lose every game on its schedule. That' what we have, and here's to hoping that by year's end some guys develop more confidence beacuse that's a big factor.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X