No announcement yet.

Tulsa 1/10 7:00 ESPN2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't believe we snuck that out. Cane kept shooting with Justin out sick.
    Former KMart Ball Boy

"Graduation is the key, period. I am on a mission to stop the exploitive nature of college athletics. We must make sure our kids graduate and have opportunities to have productive and happy lives." -MC

Comment

My post, first one ever, even though I've been following for years, must of motivated Cane😁

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
        OK, thank you Cane Broome for deciding you didn't want to lose this game. Trevor Moore with the best game of his career. A win is a win. UConn up next.

Agreed, Cane decided to play in the 2nd Half.... Same Cane who scored 0 Points , and had 8 Minutes against ECU....And that was the difference... He made key shots in the last (8) minutes of the game...However, he is still plays out of control dibbling the ball off his foot, or just plain losing it out of bounds.....Cumberland came up big in OT....And yes, Trevor Moore finally showed his 3pt touch....

Comment

One would think Tulsa would have cooled off from 3 at some point. The number of open 3s UC allowed in the second half was puzzling. It’s like the Cats were expecting Tulsa to cool off eventually. The points off of turnovers was also maddening. 22 TOs by Tulsa and less than 10 points scored as a result. Bottom line is this team isn’t very good.

Comment

Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post
            One would think Tulsa would have cooled off from 3 at some point. The number of open 3s UC allowed in the second half was puzzling. It’s like the Cats were expecting Tulsa to cool off eventually. The points off of turnovers was also maddening. 22 TOs by Tulsa and less than 10 points scored as a result. Bottom line is this team isn’t very good.
            I think Mick has to take a hard look at defending the 3 pointers. Interestingly, Tulsa was 5/23 on 2 point shots (22%), 14/23 from 3 (61%).

Comment

Originally posted by kennh View Post
              Well I admit I thought we were going to lose. I give them a lot of credit for hanging in there on the road and doing what was needed to win. I think it was an ugly win but a great win.
              An ugly win is better than a pretty loss!
              Former KMart Ball Boy

"Graduation is the key, period. I am on a mission to stop the exploitive nature of college athletics. We must make sure our kids graduate and have opportunities to have productive and happy lives." -MC

Comment

The constant negativity on this forum is puzzling. Mick is correct, shooting doesn’t win games. Tulsa made 9 of 11 threes in the second half and LOSS! We give up 73 points to ECU and lose. That was the most point we gave up all season. Mick said “if we give up 73 points we’re just another team”. My Bearcats are 13-3, 2-1 in conference and they will make the tournament. No one on this team played a meaningful role except Cumberland. This was a gutty win by a sick team. Great job!
                Coach Cronin get well soon!

Comment

I had to get to an appointment with 3 minutes left. I'd written the game off as a loss - I was shocked to see they pulled it out. Very happy for the win. It seemed like Tulsa's strategy tonight was to charge the basket and hope for a foul - a few times it didn't even look like they cared to try to take a shot. On top of that, they made some gutsy three's. Seems like that was the only thing that kept them in the game. Tough win for the Bearcats, but its a win.

Comment

A great comeback win for our Cats. If we were a lousy team we would have lost last nite. Good teams find a way to win!

Comment

It amazes me how everyone keeps tooting Cumberland. The game I just watched, he was awful. The offense bogs down watching him select bad shots. Mick insists on featuring him. Anyone else would have been benched in the second half. You watched our best player, Keith Williams, have a fabulous first half, then not touch the ball in the second half as Mick ordered everything be run through Cumberland. Cumberland is a nice complementary piece but if you don't have a flowing offense where more than one guy must be respected and guarded, you are vulnerable to losses to bad teams if your supposed star has a bad night. Williams carried them in the first half, Broome in the second half, and Cumberland in the OT. Wouldn't it be nice to see us clicking on multiple cylinders simultaneously? If they can get to that point they will be a tourney team. If they continue to feature Cumberland and everyone else plays tentatively, we aren't going anywhere.

Comment

Williams was in foul trouble most of the second half. Very hard to work the offense thru him when he's in danger of fouling out which he did ultimately. His game is going to the hoop, and in fact i think he had two charges last night. Nobody was shooting the ball particularly well the first 3/4's of the game, particularly the first part of the second half. I almost turned the tv off when Brooks gets a clean offensive rebound and misses the put back as he for some reason at 7 feet feels the need to use the backboard when he could dunk it? Frustrating. I think he ends up with 2 points and 4 rebounds. This was win on the road this team with limited experienced needed. Hopefully they come out strong Saturday night on the short turn. At least we are at home. You have to give a lot of credit to Broome and Cumberland as they both battled to the end. Broome looks to me to be struggling with having moved his 3 pt's back a step or two. He's missing many just short. Hopefully he can adjust. We're a different team when he gets 10 or 15 points.

Comment

Originally posted by RedDog View Post
                          It amazes me how everyone keeps tooting Cumberland. The game I just watched, he was awful. The offense bogs down watching him select bad shots. Mick insists on featuring him. Anyone else would have been benched in the second half. You watched our best player, Keith Williams, have a fabulous first half, then not touch the ball in the second half as Mick ordered everything be run through Cumberland. Cumberland is a nice complementary piece but if you don't have a flowing offense where more than one guy must be respected and guarded, you are vulnerable to losses to bad teams if your supposed star has a bad night. Williams carried them in the first half, Broome in the second half, and Cumberland in the OT. Wouldn't it be nice to see us clicking on multiple cylinders simultaneously? If they can get to that point they will be a tourney team. If they continue to feature Cumberland and everyone else plays tentatively, we aren't going anywhere.
                          I'm sorry, but I'm just going to have to disagree. Mr. Cumberland is very good. As for featuring him on offense, I have no problem with that because he is very good and because who else would you select? I know you said Keith Williams, but he did have foul trouble and a lot of his success on drives and shots are because of the respect our opponents have for Mr. Cumberland.

Notice he (JC) had four assists, but his second one with 3 seconds left in regulation to Broome tied the score, and his third and fourth in OT at 2:05 and 1:12 lengthened UC's lead. Smart plays to draw the defense and find the open man.

Also notice that UC was up 19-10 when he went out with fouls at 8:51 of the first half. The half ended with UC up 28-26.

Comment

C'mon, his assist to Broome was because he couldn't get his own shot and had to pass. Broome made the play not the pass.
                            His assist to Scott was quite fortunate as he left his feet with no idea where he was going and squeezed it in to Scott. Turned out great for us.
                            He had a bunch of bad passes and turnovers, got stripped several times, and laid numerous late shot clock bricks as the other guys stood and watched him dribble out the shot clock.
                            I can tell you Williams is a much better pro prospect than Cumberland. I just want us to let JC get his points in the flow of the team and not with isolations and forced situations. Our inconsistency is being driven but his nightly success being featured and if we were more team oriented on offense we would be better off and much more consistent.

Comment

Cumberland is interesting. He's a very good shooter and he's our best offensive player. I always have this feeling he's not playing full out 100% a lot of the time. He appear to take plays off fairly consistently and sometimes looks like he's either bored or mentally disengaged. Some of that may be by design trying to keep him fresh but when you throw in one or two lazy passes and bad turnovers a game he's usually good for, it definitely leaves room for criticism from the spectator's point of view.

When his shot doesn't fall in the first half he tends to disappear a bit until about 8:00 in the 2nd half, when suddenly the light goes on if the team isn't doing well. I think when he maintains a killer mindset he can take over a game like he did in OT last night. Mick needs to figure how to get him in that mindset for the entire game. He reminds me of Jacobs Evans a bit in that he tends to share the ball a little too much and lacks killer instinct despite the obvious talent level. I wonder if he wouldn't benefit from some sports psychology.

That said I think you do run the offense through him regardless of how's he's playing simply because outside of those couple of turnovers a game, he makes good decisions with the ball particularly when he drives, draws the defense and dishes it off.

Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I can't believe the criticism of JC. Let's remember he's a Junior in College. These are young kids that have a lot going on in their life-basketball, school, girlfriends, families, etc, etc. JC is our best player.
                                We need him & without him we a .500 team at best. Let's praise these guys for representing UC in a positive manner.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X