Xavier 12/8 2:00 ESPN2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xavier 12/8 2:00 ESPN2

Xavier is 5-3 with a loss to Wisconsin at home and losees to #8 Auburn and SDSU in Hawaii. They have beaten no one of note. They are led by Naji Marshall who is a player we recruited as well. Marshall averages 13 and 7. The rest of the starting five also averages double figures so they are nothing if not balanced. Four of the five starters for X have played in this game before. The outlier is Zach "Hanky McSpanky " Hankins, a 6-11 center who transferred from D-II Ferris St and won NPOY honors there. You will probably not like him. He's your most likely candidate to end up like Kenny Frease before the game ends.

Statistically it looks like the guards are pretty good at distributing the ball with the 3 of them with decent assist averages. But it also appear that once the ball goes to the post, it's not coming out. Neither big man avg even 1 Assist per game. Marshall turns the ball over a lot. He has about 30% of the teams total turnovers. as a team, X averages 79 points a game, so we have a contrast in styles again under new coach Travis Steele. This squad is not as talented as last years Xavier team by a long shot but that sort of thing doesn't always matter in this rivalry game.

Xavier will play tonight on FS1 against Ohio U. if you'd like to scout them more.
    Last edited by Lobot; 12-06-2018, 09:46 AM.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Xavier has some guys under the weather. Shannon Russell tweet from yesterday: As Travis Steele just confirmed on his radio show, Zach Hankins didn't practice today, either, due to sickness. He hopes Quentin Goodin (also sick) plays tomorrow. "Whoever's in uniform, we'll adjust and make it work," Steele said.

Comment

Hankins is most assuredly dislikable. So is Scruggs. Actually, all of them are.
      Cory Huffman
      Cin City

Comment

I’d love to have a Hankins on this roster. Nice get for eggs. I’m liking this roster more and more with the play of the bigs we have and the back court really stepping up. Johnson would be starting if I was coach...... Hos tenacity is infectious..... Scott needs to put together a run of good games
        L

Comment

The Athletic beat writers face off.

https://theathletic.com/695788/2018/...ggest-rivalry/
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Considering it's two days until game time, there's not a lot of hype this year. Do you think it's becuase of the lack of a Top 25 ranking for either team? I hope the game has more buzz in the city becuase I'm not feeling it from down here.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
              Considering it's two days until game time, there's not a lot of hype this year. Do you think it's becuase of the lack of a Top 25 ranking for either team? I hope the game has more buzz in the city because I'm not feeling it from down here.
              I like having the NKU (and XU/OU) game first to kill some of the buzz. I personally try to read up on everything/listen to all radio/podcasts and then it just takes forever to get here and most of the time X wins and it's a disappointment. Maybe X does this already, but I liked UC having a game this week to keep the team focused and not worrying about X.

I'm sure there will be more buzz in the coming days.

Things will start getting going for X fans, as Travis Steele will talk up the game (like Mack) and Mick will downplay it and say it's just another game.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post

I like having the NKU (and XU/OU) game first to kill some of the buzz. I personally try to read up on everything/listen to all radio/podcasts and then it just takes forever to get here and most of the time X wins and it's a disappointment. Maybe X does this already, but I liked UC having a game this week to keep the team focused and not worrying about X.

I'm sure there will be more buzz in the coming days.

Things will start getting going for X fans, as Travis Steele will talk up the game (like Mack) and Mick will downplay it and say it's just another game.
                That's already happened. Lol
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Cronin, Scott and Broome interviews (18:40): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7QX...ature=youtu.be

Scott and Broome both play the "just another game" card (granted, led by the question but had the opportunity to say it wasn't). Both players talk about how they did not know much about it and/or not from around here, but... neither are the X players.
                  Last edited by GoBearcats31; 12-06-2018, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Cronin asked a question early in today's media availability, said he is bothered when guys who don't make shots start hitting them, specifically recalling Kerem Kanter last year. As it turns out, Kanter scored double figures last season, so no fluke at all. In the process, he clearly accidentally called him "Enes," the name of his brother who plays for the Knicks. He said "Enes Kanter -- his brother, actually..."

Cincinnati.com story with headline saying Cronin "dirspects former Xavier player Kerem Kanter" and goes on to say he refused to refer him to by his name, only calling him Enes Kanter's brother. What a load of garbage.

Comment

Xavier girls are still ugly

Comment

Valid question...

http://doesxaviersuck.com/
                        Former KMart Ball Boy

"Graduation is the key, period. I am on a mission to stop the exploitive nature of college athletics. We must make sure our kids graduate and have opportunities to have productive and happy lives." -MC

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                          Cronin asked a question early in today's media availability, said he is bothered when guys who don't make shots start hitting them, specifically recalling Kerem Kanter last year. As it turns out, Kanter scored double figures last season, so no fluke at all. In the process, he clearly accidentally called him "Enes," the name of his brother who plays for the Knicks. He said "Enes Kanter -- his brother, actually..."

Cincinnati.com story with headline saying Cronin "dirspects former Xavier player Kerem Kanter" and goes on to say he refused to refer him to by his name, only calling him Enes Kanter's brother. What a load of garbage.
                          Dave Clarke ,the "Sports Optimizer" at the Enquirer, who wrote that article, is kind of an asshat IMO. All of his articles are clickbait. Not sure why he has a job frankly. Let Scott Springer handle the UC beat IMO and put Dave in back office where he doesn't piss off the few readers the Enquirer has left.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I agree. I have always enjoyed Scott Springer's articles & hope he continues to cover UC on a full time basis.

Comment

Time to make a stab at the score. I'm basing this on XU not having some mystery player scoring out of his butt all night. Sagarin Predictor sees the Cats as 7.5-point home favorites. It will be closer than that.

Final: UC 71-66

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X