X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lobot
    started a topic Around the American, Basketball Edition

Around the American, Basketball Edition

I'm going to open one large thread for discussing the conference teams for basketball season. Games happen on so many different nights it's hard to do a weekly thread on it.

ECU with the loss to UNCW last night. and one each to James Madison and High Point and somehow aren't in last place in the AAC right now.

Wichita St has a loss to LA Tech on the resume'. Also, one to Davidson

SMU has a home loss to Southern Miss and one to Lipscomb and Bradley

UCF laid an egg at home against FAU.

Temple has a loss at VCU

Tulsa has a loss to Southern Illinois

South Florida with a bad loss to Citadel

Memphis seems to be be beating the people they should beat with the exception of Charleston (who's good) but they're 3-3 with a loss at ranked LSU and one to OK St.

Uconn appears to have righted the ship under Hurley. They are 6-1 with a loss to Iowa and a win over ranked Syracuse

Tulane is pulling up the rear in the conference with losses to UC Irvine and Louisiana (Not LSU)

Houston is doing what Houston should be doing.

• swilsonsp4
    replied
    Here's The Athletic's preview of the Houston Cougars ($):

https://theathletic.com/1120560/2019...n-think-again/

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    Season Preview of WSU ($)

https://theathletic.com/1086274/2019...wichita-sttae/

Leave a comment:

• swilsonsp4
    replied
    Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
    Keith Williams was set for a breakout year before the coaching change and he will only blossom more under Brennan's style. While there is a lot of talent on this team, the go to guys will be Jarron and Keith. Trevon will get his because of his innate ability to rebound. The Frosh and grad transfer will be solid and this team will compete for league championship. I kinda thought Nate Hinton brokeout last year. In fact, I think Hinto will be top dog on that Cougar team not Jarreau.

Related to UConn leaving, I don't think Hurley will have the Huskies ready for middle of the pack in AAC. Too many distractions for my liking and I predict regression for both the team ranking and consistent star players.
    Trevon will be able to do more than just rebound in this scheme. He is the most likely candidate to fill the role played by Mcdonald at NKU. Brannon utilizes a lot of pick & roll and pick & pop. Trevon showed he can shoot from outside, which will draw a larger defender out on him.

Leave a comment:

• red_n_black_attack
    replied
    Keith Williams was set for a breakout year before the coaching change and he will only blossom more under Brennan's style. While there is a lot of talent on this team, the go to guys will be Jarron and Keith. Trevon will get his because of his innate ability to rebound. The Frosh and grad transfer will be solid and this team will compete for league championship. I kinda thought Nate Hinton brokeout last year. In fact, I think Hinto will be top dog on that Cougar team not Jarreau.

Related to UConn leaving, I don't think Hurley will have the Huskies ready for middle of the pack in AAC. Too many distractions for my liking and I predict regression for both the team ranking and consistent star players.

Leave a comment:

• longtimefan
    replied
    I think Keith Williams will be a major breakout player in the conference this year. Rothstein missed on him.

Leave a comment:

• GoBearcats31
    replied
    Rothstein on the AAC (Twitter)

American Conference Preseason Power Rankings:
    1. Memphis
    2. Cincinnati
    3. Houston
    4. South Florida
    5. Wichita State
    6. UConn
    7. Temple
    8. SMU
    9. Tulsa
    10. UCF
    11. ECU
    12. Tulane

American Conference Preseason Player of the Year for 19-20: Jarron Cumberland, Cincinnati

American Conference Preseason First Team for 19-20:
    Jarron Cumberland, Cincinnati
    Dejon Jarreau, Houston
    Quinton Rose, Temple
    Alexis Yetna, South Florida
    James Wiseman, Memphis

American Conference Preseason Sleeper for 19-20: Temple

10 Impact American Conference Freshmen (in no particular order):
    James Wiseman, Memphis
    Boogie Ellis, Memphis
    D.J. Jeffries, Memphis
    Precious Achiuwa, Memphis
    Lester Quinones, Memphis
    James Bouknight, UConn
    Akok Akok, UConn
    Zach Harvey, Cincy
    Caleb Mills, UH
    Grant Sherfield, WSU

5 Under-The-Radar American Conference Freshmen (in no particular order):
    Malcolm Dandridge, Memphis
    Ty Etienne, Wichita State
    Jalen Gaffney, UConn
    Charles Smith, SMU
    Josh Pierre-Louis, Temple

10 Impact American Conference Transfers (in no particular order):
    Justin Gorham, UH
    Jaevin Cumberland, Cincy
    Zack Dawson, USF
    James Scott, Temple
    K.J. Lawson, Tulane
    Lance Thomas, Memphis
    Dazon Ingram, UCF
    Yuat Alok, UCF
    Tyson Jolly, SMU (JUCO)
    Trey Wade, Wichita State (JUCO)

5 Under-The-Radar American Conference Transfers (in no particular order):
    J.J. Miles, East Caroina (JUCO)
    Tyrie Jackson, East Carolina (JUCO)
    Matt Milon, UCF
    Reggie Jones, Tulsa
    Brandon Rachal, Tulsa (JUCO)

5 Breakout American Conference Players (in no particular order):
    Nate Hinton, Houston
    Dexter Dennis, Wichita State
    Justyn Hamilton, Temple
    Mayan Kiir, South Florida
    Feron Hunt, SMU
    Last edited by GoBearcats31; 07-01-2019, 09:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• swilsonsp4
    replied
    Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

I missed the story on NCAA putting clamps on transfers. Is there a link? Is this only certain tainted players or programs?
    There are several articles out there. Here's one:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ty/1569260001/

Leave a comment:

• red_n_black_attack
    replied
    Originally posted by Lobot View Post
    Going to be interesting to see whether he gets his waiver after the NCAA decided to puts the clamps on transfers yesterday.
    I missed the story on NCAA putting clamps on transfers. Is there a link? Is this only certain tainted players or programs?

Leave a comment:

• longtimefan
    replied
    Man, it's going to be a war in the AAC going forward with what's going on, especially in Memphis and Houston right now. It appears the whole league is on the upswing. I think Brannen is up to the challenge from what I've seen so far, but this league is getting tough.

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    Going to be interesting to see whether he gets his waiver after the NCAA decided to puts the clamps on transfers yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• GoBearcats31
    replied
    Houston lands Kansas transfer Quentin Grimes (former 5-star recruit, McDs AA)

Leave a comment:

• GoBearcats31
    replied
    Didn't know where to drop this and this thread hasn't been touched since March but...

Rothstein: Wichita State has dismissed Teddy Allen from its men's basketball program, per a school spokesman. Allen was arrested earlier this week for "domestic disturbance". Major news in the American Conference.

(Former West Virginia player, believe UC was on his short list before committing to WVU a few years ago)

Leave a comment:

• swilsonsp4
    replied
    Incredible game in New Orleans between WSU and Tulane. Wave had 9-point lead, but the Shockers started pressing furiously and Tulane collapsed, temporarily. Caleb Daniels for Tulane just kept on scoring to keep the Wave it in. He finished with 36.

With the score tied at 79, there was a tie-up under the WSU basket at 0:00.5. After a review, it was ruled that a Tulane player's elbow was OB. After not being able to inbound, the Shockers called TO. On their second try, they got it to a shooter in the corner, who launched an off-balance trey that swished at the horn. Replay showed that the ball was mere inches from his fingers as the horn sounded.

Tulane finished 0-18 and haven't won a game since mid-December.

Leave a comment:

• swilsonsp4
    replied
    Temple just knocked off UCF in Philly. The Cats are locked into the #2 seed in the AAC tourney. It appears that UCF fell to #4 and would have to face the winner of Memphis-Tulane (um, take a good guess at that outcome).

Leave a comment:

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X