No announcement yet.

Around the American, Basketball Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, Houston beat ECU last night 99-65. Apparently, there was a shi* show going on in this one involving technicals and ejections. LOBOT, you seemed to be the only one reporting on this as the feed failed last night. Was this the AAC refs screwing up again, or was this on ECU not controlling themselves? Sounds like one led to the other. Either way, I think it's clear that the AAC has a reffing issue that isn't being addressed. Maybe with the new tv deal, we can pay for better refs next year???

Comment

Ha, let me reload this whole thing for everyone from Twitter.

Here we go:

At approximately 41-34 Houston which is about when I tuned in to the ESPN3 feed, ECU gets called for a foul. ECU's Fleming draws a T for not giving the ball to the ref when he asked for it. I don't know what was said there but there really was no reason for the ref to call a T on that unless there was something said by the player.

Joe Dooley gets animated about it. Eventually he draws T. Fans go into severe booing mode.

A fan gets unruly and one fan is removed from the stands across from the ECU bench. Not sure what he did.

Refs go to monitor for X minutes to decide who gets the ball. Awards ball to Houston

Dooley is still pissed and gets what was probably an intentional 2nd T and an Ejection.

8 foul shots later, The ball goes back in play to Houston.

ECU's WIlliams draws an intentional flagrant 1 for not playing the ball on a Breon Brady lay up and then throws the ball at Brady's face while he's on the deck. 2nd technical, Williams is ejected.

Fan throws water bottle on the floor. Fans, plural, are ejected.

Kelvin Sampson calls time out just to cool everthing off.

At this point either a technical difficulty happened or someone pulled the plug on the feed because the ESPN3 feed totally disappears from being available to watch at all until right before our game goes on the air. I have no idea if that was intentional by ECU, The AAC, ESPN or anyone else but it was really, really bad optics for the conference. I honestly thought at the time that the fans had gone rogue and created a safety hazard.

--

Here's the thing. This **** show could have been entirely avoided if the first thin skinned ref had not called the original T. They did absolutely NOTHING to de-escalate the situation and explained very little to either coach at any point.

Considering this and all the other bizarrre fiascos in the league this year, Curtis Shaw, the Director of Officials for the AAC needs to be fired. I don't know what directive he gave the refs working games this year but it's complete overkill. That said, coaches need to stay in their damn box and stop throwing temper tantrums on the court. This was not one of those times. Dooley was reasonably civil on video. Have no idea what was coming out of his mouth but he seemed at least somewhat collected.

If had to make a guess Curtis Shaw is probably reacting to video of Kevin Ollie from last year standing on the damn court and trying to play 6th defender for half the game all the way out to the 3 pt line. Just a guess though.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

WSU slept for most of their home contest with UConn, but rallied from 10 down to eke out a 65-63 win.

Tulsa are stinking the joint out at home against Tulane in front of almost nobody. The Wave lead, 35-34, at the half, after blowing a 16-point cushion.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
          Ha, let me reload this whole thing for everyone from Twitter.

Here we go:

At approximately 41-34 Houston which is about when I tuned in to the ESPN3 feed, ECU gets called for a foul. ECU's Fleming draws a T for not giving the ball to the ref when he asked for it. I don't know what was said there but there really was no reason for the ref to call a T on that unless there was something said by the player.

Joe Dooley gets animated about it. Eventually he draws T. Fans go into severe booing mode.

A fan gets unruly and one fan is removed from the stands across from the ECU bench. Not sure what he did.

Refs go to monitor for X minutes to decide who gets the ball. Awards ball to Houston

Dooley is still pissed and gets what was probably an intentional 2nd T and an Ejection.

8 foul shots later, The ball goes back in play to Houston.

ECU's WIlliams draws an intentional flagrant 1 for not playing the ball on a Breon Brady lay up and then throws the ball at Brady's face while he's on the deck. 2nd technical, Williams is ejected.

Fan throws water bottle on the floor. Fans, plural, are ejected.

Kelvin Sampson calls time out just to cool everthing off.

At this point either a technical difficulty happened or someone pulled the plug on the feed because the ESPN3 feed totally disappears from being available to watch at all until right before our game goes on the air. I have no idea if that was intentional by ECU, The AAC, ESPN or anyone else but it was really, really bad optics for the conference. I honestly thought at the time that the fans had gone rogue and created a safety hazard.

--

Here's the thing. This **** show could have been entirely avoided if the first thin skinned ref had not called the original T. They did absolutely NOTHING to de-escalate the situation and explained very little to either coach at any point.

Considering this and all the other bizarrre fiascos in the league this year, Curtis Shaw, the Director of Officials for the AAC needs to be fired. I don't know what directive he gave the refs working games this year but it's complete overkill. That said, coaches need to stay in their damn box and stop throwing temper tantrums on the court. This was not one of those times. Dooley was reasonably civil on video. Have no idea what was coming out of his mouth but he seemed at least somewhat collected.

If had to make a guess Curtis Shaw is probably reacting to video of Kevin Ollie from last year standing on the damn court and trying to play 6th defender for half the game all the way out to the 3 pt line. Just a guess though.
          Thanks for the recap. This type of thing really gets me fired up because it ended up being a total swing in the favor of Houston when the refs could have prevented it entirely. Now let's say for the sake of hypotheticals that the initial T was on Houston, then Sampson gets ejected and ECU is suddenly getting FTs and free points. Houston then spirals out of control and ECU beats them and Houston ends up with a bad loss on their schedule and they don't get as high a seed in the tournament... Now, you have a serious problem where the refs by their own actions effect the seeding of one of its conferences best teams. I'm just saying that this is one of the things that the AAC needs to get control of. We can't have this type of thing effecting what is already a conference that only has a few relevant basketball programs. And yes, Curtis Shaw needs to go.

Comment

UCF at Houston at 4:00 this afternoon should be a really good game.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

And a win by UCF gives us a chance to share the lead in the conference tonight. Going to be a intense last couple games!

Comment

UConn survived scrappy USF, 60-58, at Gampel on Ray Allen's jersey retirement day.

Comment

As if Tim Jankovich hasn't had enough problems, SMU are trying to beat WSU in Dallas without Jimmy Whitt, who's out injured, of course. The Mustangs did get Jarrey Foster back for Senior Day, but he hasn't played in 10 games, so he's bound to be rusty. They trail early, 24-12.

Comment

Temple put in a blah performance in taking down woeful Tulane at Liacouras, 80-68. The Owls locked up a bye in the AAC tourney. The best that Memphis can do is tie Temple at 11-7. The Owls and Tigers split, while Temple took down Houston, which is the next tiebreaker.
                    Last edited by swilsonsp4; 03-03-2019, 05:08 PM.

Comment

The Shockers held a double-digit lead throughout the game against the Mustangs and came away with a 67-55 win.

Comment

Wonder what odds are that Tulane fires Dunleavy after this season? 0-17 in conference and losers of 19 in a row.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                          Wonder what odds are that Tulane fires Dunleavy after this season? 0-17 in conference and losers of 19 in a row.
                          Apparently long odds, unless the AD changes his mind:

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...de07e95b6.html

Comment

I can't find Dunleavy's contract info (private school), but any buy-out may be a major consideration. Tulane's athletics department has to be hemorrhaging money. They don't draw flies at football or basketball games, plus, the AAC media contract is weak, at present.

Comment

Temple just knocked off UCF in Philly. The Cats are locked into the #2 seed in the AAC tourney. It appears that UCF fell to #4 and would have to face the winner of Memphis-Tulane (um, take a good guess at that outcome).

Comment

Incredible game in New Orleans between WSU and Tulane. Wave had 9-point lead, but the Shockers started pressing furiously and Tulane collapsed, temporarily. Caleb Daniels for Tulane just kept on scoring to keep the Wave it in. He finished with 36.

With the score tied at 79, there was a tie-up under the WSU basket at 0:00.5. After a review, it was ruled that a Tulane player's elbow was OB. After not being able to inbound, the Shockers called TO. On their second try, they got it to a shooter in the corner, who launched an off-balance trey that swished at the horn. Replay showed that the ball was mere inches from his fingers as the horn sounded.

Tulane finished 0-18 and haven't won a game since mid-December.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X