Team Observation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nolte50uc View Post
    my goodness there are some heavy accusations getting thrown around here after only a few games from an inexperienced team.
    I think there's some truth to some of the acusations but wow we're 5-1. At this point the bad showing against OSU looks like a fluke.

As far as Cumberland goes, He's the type of player many of you have been begging Cronin to recruit. Someone who can shoot it really well and not necessarily a freak athlete. It would be nice if we could get freak athletes who can defend AND shoot the lights out but one out of two is not a bad thing. Cumberland's good for about 2 lazy bad passes a game and other than that I don't think you complain about him. He's the most important player on the floor.

Diarra was a known factor coming in. Very much the freak athlete but very raw. He'll get there. We're always waiting on that big man that's going to be the next Kenyon or even Gary Clark. It might very well turn out to be Diarra but like Kenyon, It might take some time for him to really break out.
    Last edited by Lobot; 11-27-2018, 02:59 PM.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

A FEW GAMES ???? What are your observations from the last 11 years??? We are talking years worth of trends and repeated situations or just a few games this season?

Comment

I have to say that some of the rhetoric in this thread has been unfair. Having issues with style of play or relative abilities of players is fine. Reference to any of the kids on this squad as bums is over the top.

I see no evidence that Eliel Nsoseme is a bum. He’s simply a project, at least on the offensive end. His defensive footwork in the post is excellent and he scraps for rebounds. He may never be a starter, but he serves a role. It would help his case if he could score around the rim and make a decent perrcentage at the line. He doesn’t have to be Rick Barry, just good enough to contribute. Let’s hope he gets there. Nsoseme is a work in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
          I have to say that some of the rhetoric in this thread has been unfair. Having issues with style of play or relative abilities of players is fine. Reference to any of the kids on this squad as bums is over the top.

I see no evidence that Eliel Nsoseme is a bum. He’s simply a project, at least on the offensive end. His defensive footwork in the post is excellent and he scraps for rebounds. He may never be a starter, but he serves a role. It would help his case if he could score around the rim and make a decent perrcentage at the line. He doesn’t have to be Rick Barry, just good enough to contribute. Let’s hope he gets there. Nsoseme is a work in progress.

You are correct. My language was overly harsh in criticizing. My apologies. But Rick Barry!? lol
          Coach Cronin get well soon!

Comment

Tre Scott not improved? Hes averaging 11 and 7 and over doubled his output from last season. Keith Williams not much improvement? Hes TRIPLED his point total from last year and is the best athlete on the team.
            Last edited by London 'Cat; 11-29-2018, 09:59 AM. Reason: Removed inappropriate comments.

Comment

I think that we need to take into consideration that this team is a work in progress. There a several pieces different from last year's team that was senior-led. The Cats have some of the same players who hit the floor for significant minutes, but not always in the same capacities.

Jarron Cumberland has been called upon to take a verbal leadership role, on top of being expected to score. That's new for him. It's going to take an adjustment period.

Nysier Brooks now must play for longer stretches than at anytime in his time here, contribute offensively and defend without fouling. He actually is not a candidate for a Hack-a-Shaq attack. While he has limited shooting range, he's a decent free throw shooter, unlike the other bigs, particularly Eliel Nsoseme. Also, he understands his role and doesn't try to jack up wild shots.

Trevon Scott is a good defender at multiple positions, but needs to finish better around the rim. He also needs to relax at the line.

Trevor Moore needs to start knocking down open shots or he may find his minutes diminishing. Moore really is supposed to be Cumberland's primary backup, but he may find himself losing time to a developing Rashawn Fredericks, who while not a guard, can fill in nicely in a multi-wing combo.

Cane Broome was invisible in the opener, but has settled back in. He's been much more assertive since then, and is deadly at the line, which will come in handy since he loves to penetrate.

Justin Jenifer is just plain solid. Good defender, excellent ball handler and much improved as a shooter since his early years. Seldom does he make an egregious error. He's not flashy, but he hustles.

Logan Johnson is the crowd favorite because he's quick and uses it in conjunction with playing in-your-face defense. Unfortunately, Johnson is a poor shooter at this point of his career. We'll have to live with some freshman errors, such as the key turnover Saturday night when he looped a lazy pass that went for a score at the other end.

This team doesn't have the developed weapons of last season's version, but they have potential. Enjoy watching them develop. I believe the Cats will have no trouble making the Dance again.
              This is the most rational post Ive seen on this board in quite some time. Wish more would follow swilsons lead.

Comment

I really like Eliel, the kid is a worker. I like the way he progressing, (better than the Adam H’s we used to see come here) I was hoping that he would get more minutes than Brooks, until I saw that Brooks really has come along this season...... My only issue with the bigs is they try to be too finesse around the rims, If they are close to the rim throw it down hard. Get those free points at the line....

AAU has made everyone soft......The black top isn’t producing ball players anymore.... These kids today seem to not come in with that attitude of winning at all cost like they did 20 years ago..... Huggs said he used to go watch guys play on the black top to see what kind of player they were. Doubt he even finds those anymore
                Last edited by Joco45215; 11-29-2018, 08:17 AM.
                L

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X