Recruits and offense

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruits and offense

If you have any offensive game, would you want to play for Mick? Or Cincinnati? A friend alumni of mine pointed this out. Cincinnati loses out on almost every bigger offensive minded recruit......and really the development is lacking
    L

That's because they are only concerned with defense. If you don't play defense, you don't play!

Comment

I don't think so. Mick prioritizes toughness, discipline. We've had lots of offensive first guys here, SK comes immediately to mind. Jacob Evans came here as a score first guard, but it was the toughness and defense he learned here that made him a first round pick for the Warriors.

Comment

Trevor Moore is an interesting case on this current roster. I'm not going to sink the boat after 1 game, but my observations on his game are not promising. Cronin publicly said he was the best shooter he had recruited. His first year he was fairly active attempting shots on the perimeter. Other than the wide open 3 he missed which would have cut the lead to 1 at the end of the game, he didn't even look to be hunting any shots on the perimeter. He now looks to be a guy whose only pursuit is defense. Why?
        Last edited by coach; 11-08-2018, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
          Trevor Moore is an interesting case on this current roster. I'm not going to sink the boat after 1 game, but my observations on his game are not promising. Cronin publicly said he was the best shooter he had recruited. His first year he was fairly active attempting shots on the perimeter. Other than the wide open 3 he missed which would have cut the lead to 1 at the end of the game, he didn't even look to be hunting any shots on the perimeter. He now looks to be a guy whose only pursuit is defense. Why?
          I saw him in the red black scrimmage and his shot was really pure, and he looked really confident shooting it. He does not look like the same shooter in games. Perhaps he puts too much pressure on himself, but he needs to find a way to shoot with confidence in games, which is why he was brought in. I hope he can do that.

Comment

Right now my guess is that Moore is thinking too much. Against OSU we played the come from behind game. It situations like that, you tend to think more about your shot. In my non-paid, non-expert opinion...he's thinking too much.
            Cory Huffman
            Cin City

Comment

Or he wants to stay in the game so he concentrates on defense. If he shoots and misses an ill-advised shot he will be back on the bench before the shot can be rebounded.

Comment

Originally posted by MI Bearcat View Post
                Or he wants to stay in the game so he concentrates on defense. If he shoots and misses an ill-advised shot he will be back on the bench before the shot can be rebounded.
                There is a definite priority/emphasis that defensive mistakes are not tolerated. This did not seem to be the case on the offensive side early in Mick's career. It used to be you could chuck it up any time as long as you played good defense and the rest of the team hit the offensive boards hard for rebounds. The past couple of years, expectations on Mick have been very high as the offensive talent level increased. This pressure on Mick is rolling downhill to the players. Being in the right spot on defense, playing with mind and feet can be taught because it is accepted that the other guy just might score on a 28 foot step-back as long as you don't give up the easy bucket. That low tolerance for errors doesn't translate as well to the offensive side. Jarron throws up some of the silliest shots I've ever seen and they drop. Moore or Justin or Cane do it and it's an ill-advised shot, so your butt sits on the bench. If you accept that the other team can only make a contested shot, you can't put the pressure on our team to shoot only uncontested shots.
                Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

This should make you feel better about stuff. Offense was much better on Tuesday night.

https://theathletic.com/655834/2018/...eir-potential/
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                    This should make you feel better about stuff. Offense was much better on Tuesday night.

https://theathletic.com/655834/2018/...eir-potential/
                    Not really. Its NCC. I have said for Mick's entire UC career that he does not recruit basketball players. He recruits athletes with attitude. What that get's us is a trip to the first weekend of the Tourney. And I fear we are not even getting that this year. I don't see us out-defensing X to a win and X isn't projected to make it. Oh, we'll feast on the cupcakes but if we get to .500 against the top 100 I will be surprised.

Comment

Too early to tell. Could go either way as the guys develop / or not.
                      I have said for years that you don't need to recruit all Blue chip stars and athletes. 13 guys like that don't get it done. Needing to teach basics at this level is too late. Basketball instincts are inherited early not late. Why recruit these athletic type players and then spend 3-4 years breaking them of the things you recruited them for and trying instead to fit them in some cloned robotic box!! They are playing like robots, not athletes.
                      Give me 6 good athletes like we typically recruit, and 6 well grounded, fundamentally sound, lower level great shooters and role players, and I will beat Mick 8 out of 10 times!!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X