Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anybody thinks the top kids from a program like UNCG are not on par with normal UC talent your just in denial and kidding yourself.

Comment

FWIW

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospec...den-koval-4780

Comment

OK-I’ll bite-I don’t think top talent appealing to the Southern Conference is on par with top talent appealing to the AAC. Convince me otherwise.

Comment

There are things to like about him from looking at his stats and watching tape on him. He is an efficient scorer from different parts of the floor and can block shots. There are really 2 questions with him: 1) can he defend pick-and-roll action in conference and 2) at 220 lb will he get pushed around inside?

Comment

3. Can we put another 20 pounds of muscle on the guy in our weight room. He'll need that in AAC play.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat93 View Post
              OK-I’ll bite-I don’t think top talent appealing to the Southern Conference is on par with top talent appealing to the AAC. Convince me otherwise.
              I would say as a general rule, you are correct. Top to bottom on the roster the AAC should have more talent. But as I said, if you take the top talent off a good SoCon team, those guys would fit fine on an AAC roster. For example, we just recruited then lost Bryson Spell to Liberty. They are not SoCon but comparable so its the first one to come to mind. You can't tell me he wouldn't have fit in talent wise with us and helped our team. Teams like UNCG don't go to the dance and cause teams fits without talent. Maybe not top to bottom equal but they have players that often the bigger schools recruited and the kids decided for whatever reason to go smaller, maybe close to home, maybe buddies, playing time, maybe AAU affiliations, like the coach, lord knows academics etc etc. I know many times I watch the first couple rounds and see kids balling out and I say how the **** did we miss this guy?

Regarding Koval's bulk: there's often a difference between a shot blocker and a low post defender. Some can be both but some not. I haven't seen this young man play so I can't specifically comment, but many shot blockers are long and lean and block with reach when the opponent thinks he has cleared and is safe. Low post defenders are often guys who know how and are willing to body up, regardless of height..Kmart, Donald Little, Robert Miller are 3 skinny guys that were good shot blockers (at least when they started their Bearcat careers). Erik Martin, Curtis Bostic, Eric Hicks were all stronger low post defenders that did it without height (all about 6'6.) Koval is coming in with a skill set that fills a need and for one year. I would not expect any miracle physical transformation nor do I think one is needed. Again, look at his performance against the better competition on his schedule last year. Do you think those bigs were at least AAC level guys?

We all too often are guilty of the grass is always greener theory. We tend to always want what we don't have or wish something was different about our players. Rarely do we get the blue chip talent that comes to us with the complete package. More often than not we get red chip level guys and develop them. That's why todays free agent college system is particularly threatening to programs like UC where kids won't stay 4 years anymore. Every year we will have to rebuild our roster. In Kovals case, we wished for a rim protector, got one, but now hes not heavy enough. We wish for shooters, get some, then lament they are not premier defenders. We are an impatient society and demand immediate gratification, which isn't conducive to recruits that need a few years to develop. I think Wes knows what hes doing. He has to survive the next couple years, hopefully impress in year one, and build for the future. That will always include some impact players and some talented development players. We are being unfair if we compare our incoming freshman to one and done kinda talent. I am excited and think what we have coming in so far will really help. Filling the rest of the spots will make or break how fast we return to relevance. I think Wes has a few more UNCG guys in his pocket that will transfer if we still have spots available later. They could be roster fillers and practice players with short commitments. I don't think that's his preference however but its his trump card. Lets let this play out and we can more fairly analyze things when the roster is done.

Comment

Originally posted by RedDog View Post

I would say as a general rule, you are correct. Top to bottom on the roster the AAC should have more talent. But as I said, if you take the top talent off a good SoCon team, those guys would fit fine on an AAC roster. For example, we just recruited then lost Bryson Spell to Liberty. They are not SoCon but comparable so its the first one to come to mind. You can't tell me he wouldn't have fit in talent wise with us and helped our team. Teams like UNCG don't go to the dance and cause teams fits without talent. Maybe not top to bottom equal but they have players that often the bigger schools recruited and the kids decided for whatever reason to go smaller, maybe close to home, maybe buddies, playing time, maybe AAU affiliations, like the coach, lord knows academics etc etc. I know many times I watch the first couple rounds and see kids balling out and I say how the **** did we miss this guy?

Regarding Koval's bulk: there's often a difference between a shot blocker and a low post defender. Some can be both but some not. I haven't seen this young man play so I can't specifically comment, but many shot blockers are long and lean and block with reach when the opponent thinks he has cleared and is safe. Low post defenders are often guys who know how and are willing to body up, regardless of height..Kmart, Donald Little, Robert Miller are 3 skinny guys that were good shot blockers (at least when they started their Bearcat careers). Erik Martin, Curtis Bostic, Eric Hicks were all stronger low post defenders that did it without height (all about 6'6.) Koval is coming in with a skill set that fills a need and for one year. I would not expect any miracle physical transformation nor do I think one is needed. Again, look at his performance against the better competition on his schedule last year. Do you think those bigs were at least AAC level guys?

We all too often are guilty of the grass is always greener theory. We tend to always want what we don't have or wish something was different about our players. Rarely do we get the blue chip talent that comes to us with the complete package. More often than not we get red chip level guys and develop them. That's why todays free agent college system is particularly threatening to programs like UC where kids won't stay 4 years anymore. Every year we will have to rebuild our roster. In Kovals case, we wished for a rim protector, got one, but now hes not heavy enough. We wish for shooters, get some, then lament they are not premier defenders. We are an impatient society and demand immediate gratification, which isn't conducive to recruits that need a few years to develop. I think Wes knows what hes doing. He has to survive the next couple years, hopefully impress in year one, and build for the future. That will always include some impact players and some talented development players. We are being unfair if we compare our incoming freshman to one and done kinda talent. I am excited and think what we have coming in so far will really help. Filling the rest of the spots will make or break how fast we return to relevance. I think Wes has a few more UNCG guys in his pocket that will transfer if we still have spots available later. They could be roster fillers and practice players with short commitments. I don't think that's his preference however but its his trump card. Lets let this play out and we can more fairly analyze things when the roster is done.
                I agree with Mr RedDog. I'm happy with both the new UNCG guys and I hope we get the freshman forward that just entered the portal (Jarrett Hensley)

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat93 View Post
                  Yea - I don't think a top SoCon talent like Steph Curry or Keith Jennings would be on par with the top talent in the AAC either....

Comment

I’m thinking more about top to bottom talent vs particular players that turned out to be stars. Who knows how good anyone is before they play and develop, so I’m not any more knowing than the next fan. That being said I’d like to see Miller & Co.’s ability to recruit beyond Greensboro and while I know players following coaches is really normal, on paper I’m just a little less excited about this first group of commits. Plenty of time and the pool is pretty large, so no panic here, just a little ‘meh.’

Comment

In his career he's had some good games against better competition. He's a big kid who can draw guys away from the hoop which is hard to find, and he doesn't turn the ball over a lot which is great. He shoots the ball from 3 and the ft line better than a lot of our backcourt kids. One year it's a no brainer particularly given he has played under Miller.

Comment

Maybe he’s DerMarr + 4 inches 🤘

Comment

Video of a triple double game when he was at Central Arkansas.

The thing that stands out to me in the video is that he's blocking most of these shots as the help defender and not the primary guy on the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2waz9OX1kfA
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X