Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transfer Portal Watch 2021

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • We need to be hitting the portal and Junior colleges hard. I'm quite sure we already are.

    Comment


    • I like what Coach Wes said in interview with Justin Williams. Without quoting, he said you recruit with a plan, both short and long term. Build relationships and recruit kids that fit style, mot just recruit a bunch of "talented guys". I don't think that was coach speak. He will want to meet with transferees and high schoolers to gauge the right fit, not just the rankings boards. That may test my patience, but let's give him some time.
      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

      Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by BorisTheCat View Post
        Eason to lsu
        Good bye to bad he didn't take the other 2 (the guy who can't guard anyone and the automatic turnover) with him but we need players. hopefully lsu has he favorite flavor juiceboxes their gonna need them.

        Comment


        • Henry Coleman a 4 star forward from Duke in the portal. We offered him out of high school. He's from Va. so likely WM knows him as well. Continuing to be more guys jumping in. M y bet is his first commit will be the Clemson 2/3 who WM had going to UNCG will be his first commit. It may be John Neuman if i have my transfers right.

          Comment


          • Name to keep an eye on: UNCG grad transfer Hayden Koval, a 7’1 senior this past year, out of Texas.

            Koval averaged 7.0 points, 3.8 rebounds and 2.2 blocks per game in 19.6 mins. Prior to UNCG, he spent three years at Central Arkansas, where he averaged 11.1, 6.4, and 2.8. For those counting at home, that is 337 blocks in four years.

            I think I would sign up for one year of him.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Dr.kenneth noisewater View Post

              Good bye to bad he didn't take the other 2 (the guy who can't guard anyone and the automatic turnover) with him but we need players. hopefully lsu has he favorite flavor juiceboxes their gonna need them.
              I think you are being influenced by some vocal members about the kid who can't play defense (Madsen I assume). I disagree. Granted he may not be the best athlete on the team but often I saw his defense as being more doing his job and funneling players to teammates who weren't in the correct position. This makes a guy look bad as his man goes to the hoop uncontested but the big who was supposed to pick him up is out of position to do so. Our big man defense was awful this year - worse than this guys for sure. Plus he can shoot lights out, has the toughness and grit we have been screaming for, and is a great teammate.
              The automatic turnover guy (I can only assume you mean Saunders) is unfounded as well. He is the up tempo leader which in and of itself leads to occasional turnovers. The auto turnover guys were Diarra and Eason, both gone.
              The juicebox comment was a riot!!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Dr.kenneth noisewater View Post

                Good bye to bad he didn't take the other 2 (the guy who can't guard anyone and the automatic turnover) with him but we need players. hopefully lsu has he favorite flavor juiceboxes their gonna need them.
                hmm you might see that correctly. Let us hope CWM can coach those two up. He said defense is his forte. I am sure CWM hates turnovers.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by RedDog View Post

                  I think you are being influenced by some vocal members about the kid who can't play defense (Madsen I assume). I disagree. Granted he may not be the best athlete on the team but often I saw his defense as being more doing his job and funneling players to teammates who weren't in the correct position. This makes a guy look bad as his man goes to the hoop uncontested but the big who was supposed to pick him up is out of position to do so. Our big man defense was awful this year - worse than this guys for sure. Plus he can shoot lights out, has the toughness and grit we have been screaming for, and is a great teammate.
                  The automatic turnover guy (I can only assume you mean Saunders) is unfounded as well. He is the up tempo leader which in and of itself leads to occasional turnovers. The auto turnover guys were Diarra and Eason, both gone.
                  The juicebox comment was a riot!!
                  Did you watch Madsen get continually beaten off the dribble. A quick first step by the opponent led time and time again to easy baskets. The thing is that the opponents moved the ball quickly down the floor and Madsen had to defend his guy on his own. It was the game plan and it worked. Madsen is a one dimensional player. I hope our new coach can coach him up. Perhaps getting quicker bigs, as you alluded to , will also help. Mason
                  s lights out shooting is in comparison to what. The Bearcats didn't have much shooting and so anything looks good.
                  Madsen 3 point % was 32.3 , His FT was 63.6 and his overall was 39%. Sometimes we listen to the hype of TV announcers trying to make a game sound interesting in a blowout.
                  ZH in comparison 3% was 45.8. FT 63.2 and overall 50%. Of course we will never know how CWM could have helped him.
                  WE go with who we have nd my hope is that Coach WM brings MM up. The team needs him.
                  Last edited by leo from jersey; 04-21-2021, 09:24 AM.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

                    Did you watch Madsen get continually beaten off the dribble. A quick first step by the opponent led time and time again to easy baskets. The thing is that the opponents moved the ball quickly down the floor and Madsen had to defend his guy on his own. It was the game plan and it worked. Madsen is a one dimensional player. I hope our new coach can coach him up. Perhaps getting quicker bigs, as you alluded to , will also help.
                    I agree with RedDog and think Madsen and Saunders will become very good players for UC. ;the defense, with very few exceptions was pretty bad and hopefully WM can correct.

                    Comment


                    • Keep an eye on Hayden Koval as a grad transfer . Played one year for CWM at UNCG . 7’1 center that led their Conference in blocked shots.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Jeff Burk View Post

                        I agree with RedDog and think Madsen and Saunders will become very good players for UC. ;the defense, with very few exceptions was pretty bad and hopefully WM can correct.
                        Nobody said they won't as I will give the new coach time. What I said was Madsen was far from a lights out shooter and his defense was wretched. Did anyone else think some of his minutes were given to impress his parents and his brother in hopes of Gabe, the better player, coming back? Just another thought.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post
                          Did anyone else think some of his minutes were given to impress his parents and his brother in hopes of Gabe, the better player, coming back? Just another thought.
                          No, not at all.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

                            Nobody said they won't as I will give the new coach time. What I said was Madsen was far from a lights out shooter and his defense was wretched. Did anyone else think some of his minutes were given to impress his parents and his brother in hopes of Gabe, the better player, coming back? Just another thought.
                            Not in the least

                            Comment


                            • Tari was forced to play the 4, though was a hair short at 6' 7" (listed at 6' 8"). There are plenty of taller players on the team/portal to play the 4. Lahkin (and hopefully Diarra) can play the 4 spot. The problem last year is Diarra (6' 9") and Tari were some times the tallest defender and playing the 5 on defense. We need another 4 and two true 5's 6' 11" or taller.

                              Plus Davenport/Williams had the 3 shored up last year and JD will be a lock to start as the 3 next year.
                              Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

                              Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                                Keep an eye on Hayden Koval as a grad transfer . Played one year for CWM at UNCG . 7’1 center that led their Conference in blocked shots.

                                Yeah, but can he play at this LEVEL? Playing in the SoCon versus playing in the AAC is night and day.... I know he's got height, but we don't need another player from a lower conference over his head again....

                                Playing against Houston, Memphis, Wichita State etc..... Chances are he'll get is Butt handed to him.... If this was his avg last year against lower level teams, Koval averaged 7.0 points, 3.8 rebounds and 2.2 blocks per game.... What's it gonna be in this league?

                                Comment

                                Responsive Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X