Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are still unsure of Princes' status so we have two scholarships to determine possibly. I think you continue to develope JD and Gabe M as 3's that way you can rotate those two, Mason M, MAW ZH. Saunders, and the 3 pt shooter JB is trying hard to obtain as the 6th man and in employing the press. If Prince is cleared we have another 4 we can ease into.

Comment

That's a SOLID pickup for Coach Brannen! needed someone who could play the four from day one... Could take Eason sometime to get familiar with the College Level.... Rapolas can start right away, or at least compete to start... This TEAM was in dire need of a Defensive Rebounder since Tre is gone... Hopefully Diarra continues to play the way he did the last (4) games of the season.. With (2) Scholarships still available? I wouldn't mind landing one more PF....

Reading the interview, you could tell Rapolas felt he could/would start from day one... Probably the biggest factor why he chose UC.

Comment

Easons size and athleticism makes him a duel threat. If a 4 guarded him, they would be hard pressed to stay with him and you are right, a potential mismatch. Having said that, how many 6'8 guys do we see at the 3 and wouldn't that create just as big a mismatch? I see Gabe as a situational zone buster off the bench (Jaevins role) and Harvey is in our pressure defense, uptempo role as a slasher. Both are contributors, neither a starter at this point in their careers. However it plays out, the important thing is we should have options and a combination for all occasions.

Comment

Ideally you can go 3 deep at all positions. Given he plays both the 4 and 5, this gives them the flexibility they need not to mention added the weapon we really didn't have which was a big guy who can pull other bigs away from the bucket consistently. That's maybe the most difficult quality to find in a basketball player. It's really hard to find big kids who can shoot out on the floor consistently.

Comment

Yes three deep is a distinct possibility given that jeremiah is essentially the same size as eason. He is only slightly lighter by just a few lbs.

Comment

Obviously with 13 kids you have to have a lot of crossover to get to the depth which is desired, but i could see a guy like Eason after a couple seasons being able to bring the ball down the floor after watching him play on film. You can fit him in at a lot of spots once he gets used to the level of competition at the college level. Finding guys who can play and guard multiple spots at the 4 and 5 is definitely the rarest commodity. I think people forget Rap was definitely "athletic" watching him in person at the Shoe. Scott had trouble keeping up with him. That kid was not a bad athlete at all for a guy 6'10. Just because guys do not set high jump records doesn't mean they are not athletic. Some of the best rebounders and shot blockers were not record setting athletes. See Russell, Cowens, Unseld etc. A lot is technique, smarts and consistency. I know i read last night he speaks 5 languages and is a very quick study. I really look forward to what Brannen can do with him.

Comment

I remember Jerry Lucas. He was not the most athletic, but a terrific rebounder.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post
                  This guy average 10 rebounds a game at 6'4. Ask Lucas about him. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Wiesenhahn

Point is a guy had a great comment i was reading about Nysier Brooks. He was really effective rebounding and blocking shots against a lot of guys because he was physically superior to them. However, when he went against more crafty players they always got him in foul trouble. If you're going to beat really good teams, you have to get guys who are not only good athletes, but they have to play with wisdom. Some guys who are not as physically talented are more effective because of the nuances of the game. Hopefully we'll have a year or two of this kid to see if i'm right or not. I do believe Brannen is the guy to get the most out of him.

Comment

OFFICIAL
                    https://gobearcats.com/news/2020/4/1...asketball.aspx

"We are very excited to be able to add Rapolas to our Cincinnati basketball family," Brannen said. "Rap comes to UC as an accomplished versatile big man. He has the ability to score all over the floor and will help stretch the defense with his shot making. He rebounds at high rate and, like many of our young men, knows how to win coming from a championship program like Colgate."

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post

This guy average 10 rebounds a game at 6'4. Ask Lucas about him. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Wiesenhahn

Point is a guy had a great comment i was reading about Nysier Brooks. He was really effective rebounding and blocking shots against a lot of guys because he was physically superior to them. However, when he went against more crafty players they always got him in foul trouble. If you're going to beat really good teams, you have to get guys who are not only good athletes, but they have to play with wisdom. Some guys who are not as physically talented are more effective because of the nuances of the game. Hopefully we'll have a year or two of this kid to see if i'm right or not. I do believe Brannen is the guy to get the most out of him.
                      I remember Bob Wiesenhahn very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post
                        Yeah. I went to a Royals game against the Knicks at the Cincinnati Gardens. Lucas had 37 rebounds that night.

Comment

Justin Williams was able to interview Ivanauskas for those who can get over there to read it. ($)

https://theathletic.com/1750904/2020...ns-recruiting/
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X