Austin Van Zyl 2019 South Africa PG 6'5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin Van Zyl 2019 South Africa PG 6'5

A couple of sources are expecting an offer here shortly. This is a weird one of sorts. Van Zyl was part of the class of 2017 and commited to Marshall 2 years ago. He opted to go overseas and play a longer season in France instead. Apparently while playing over there he maintained his college eligibility according to the Daily Hoosier. So he's 20 and has 4 to play. The other two schools involved with him are IU and UCLA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR9NrC6Gfkk
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

I had previously read on an IU board that he might be a one year player -- perhaps something to the effect of he might only plan to play one year, but stats I had seen didn't suggest that he is going to be an NBA talent two years from now. So who knows. I also thought he might be from Canada or something. Do not see him adding much to UC if they have one scholarship open (if no Harvey), even if for a year.

(Not expected to land at IU -- he tweeted an offer earlier this week, but may not be quite accurate)
    Last edited by GoBearcats31; 06-27-2019, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
      ....The other two schools involved with him are IU and UCLA.
      If not us, I hope he lands at IU instead of Uck-La. If he produces well enough to only spend one year in college, his best chances are here or IU unless he plays defense from the get-go. Not sure how he maintained NCAA eligibility, but a 6' 5" PG is always intriguing from a matchup standpoint. Should he pick UC and do well enough to enter NBA draft after one year (at least test the waters) then so be it. One great year would be welcome and the future recruits Coach Brannen is associated with will be able to fill the void.
      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

So i'll ask the 1mm question, is someone else maybe leaving?

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
          So i'll ask the 1mm question, is someone else maybe leaving?
          Great question now that we have the Zach Harvey news. I hope no one else leaves.
          Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

I think there’s gotta be a way he can reclassify to 2020 or something because some articles have said Zach Harvey enrolled on Tuesday, so it seems we knew he was coming here prior to this kid getting offered and honestly I don’t know who leaves the team at this point. Chad Brendel has said on a podcast or radio show that Prince could really fit this lineup as a four and can space the floor how Brannen wants. John Brannen has spoken about Trevor Moore’s work ethic not wanting to leave the gym to get as many shots up as possible.
            Last edited by CincyBearcats2; 07-03-2019, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Van Zyl does not have an offer from us at this point and now that Harvey is onboard I don't expect one unless we're suddenly the San Antonio Spurs and we're going to stash him in Monaco for another year. Not to bash him but this guy's going to be older than SK when he hits the draft.
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I'm purely speculating, but given Zach committed today i'd guess Brannen's had a pretty good idea he'd be here for the past 2 or 3 weeks which seems to be the time frame with this kid as well. Who knows at this point. Like i said, i have full confidence in Brannen. He's shown me enough that regardless of wins and losses he's got a few seasons in my book. I like the track he's on. Thx Mike Bohn!

Comment

Y’all might have been onto something because we just offered Van Zyl. Either we’re recruiting him for 2020 or someone else is leaving.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                    Y’all might have been onto something because we just offered Van Zyl. Either we’re recruiting him for 2020 or someone else is leaving.
                    I hope no one else is leaving ... just wanted to point out that he recently tweeted out an IU offer but insiders behind the scenes said he wasn't offered and there seemed to be some misunderstanding on this kid's part?

If you wanted to speculate, any possible departure would surely have to be a guard. I can't see any name that sticks out (unless some incoming player was having trouble qualifying academically for some reason).

Comment

It would have to be Trevor Moore if there’s someone exiting. And you’re not the only one questioning what this kid is saying. Very weird.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Looking more like this kid may not be telling the truth. Did the same to IU like you said. Apparently the coach he said offered him to IU had left the program. Makes me wonder if he got an offer from UC , who offered him ? I wonder if it was Cronin at UCLA who was also looking at him according to Van Zyl’s camp and they’re confused as to what school the coach is at?

Extremely weird and possibly shady
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Everything regarding this guy is coming directly from his account or one other person’s which is where I got the original info on him from. I thought it looked weird originally. It’s even weirder now. I have a bad feeling they’re trying to spin up interest in him on social media if he doesn’t sign a pro contract. Makes me wonder if he’s even eligible.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

My #1 indicator when it comes to the new staff recruiting; following players on twitter. No one on our staff is following this kid on twitter. However he is following a coach (Sean Dwyer).

Comment

This can't be right.

Coach Brannen is currently in Hawaii. I know that recruiting is a 24/7 thing, BUT...
                              Do we really think that he is offering 2019 recruits when his roster is loaded and possibly better top-to-bottom than last year's squad?
                              Former KMart Ball Boy

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X