Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And UC's fight for coverage in Cincinnati continues

I picked this up off of WVXU's website on August 3:

It's official: WKRC-TV announced the hiring of former ESPN anchor Gary Miller at 7 p.m. Friday. He will start in mid-August, says Jon Lawhead, Sinclair group manager.

"Cincinnati is a big sports town. With our multi-station, multi-platform commitment to everything from high school sports, Reds, Bengals and FC Cincinnati, we think our viewers and users will agree that Gary's experience is a great addition to the team," Lawhead said in the station announcement.

Everything BUT UC (and the other 2 local universities). I know Cincy is a professional town, but a minor league soccer team? Or is it because they hold the rights to their broadcasts?

It'll be interesting (or not) how WKRC's sportscasts change (if they do), especially in the FB season. I'm not a Bingos fan; WKRC's sports segments during the FB season consist of CB videos, reconstituted CB videos from previous days or shows WKRC produces for the CBs, and promos for their upcoming shows for the CBs.

Not to mention how they treat out-of-town universities as if they were local too. Not much room for the Bearcats unless they win big.

Originally posted by Geaux Juan View Post
    I picked this up off of WVXU's website on August 3:

Or is it because they hold the rights to their broadcasts?

You hit the nail on the head. I quit watching WKRC news/sports. They have special features on the Bungals February through June when there are many other active sports to report. I could give a rat's @$$ about the local football team at that time.

WLW and FOX19 do a much better job covering all local sports, including the Bearcats.

Comment

I stopped watching the local news over a decade ago. I get my news info from the web & USA Today, ESPN & the great bearcatnews.com site!. The Enquirer also sucks for UC coverage.
      UC is like Rodney Dangerfield, we get no respect!!!

Comment

I quit listening to Lance for the same reasons - Friday Prep Rally 100% dedicated to Bengals, even if they play a Thursday game. I pitched the Idea of doing a segment called Bearcat Bonfire, but Lance only does three hour segments and the station is contractually obligated to do the Friday Pep Rally with their broadcast rights to the Bengals tied into the same contract. I hope someone in the sports marketing department can pitch the Friday Bonfire to reignite the fan-base. I know high school football is big because so many generation live in the same areas or attended the same schools, but I think the overall fan-base for college FB is huge and if you turn it into a drinking game...LOL
        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Checked out the print edition of the Enquirer this morning. They had articles about the Reds, Bengals, FC, and Xavier basketball. They simply refuse to make any effort at all to cover UC athletics. While I do think coverage is important, if I were running UC I would ban Enquirer reporters the two days a month they do show up. Really easy to live without them.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
            Checked out the print edition of the Enquirer this morning. They had articles about the Reds, Bengals, FC, and Xavier basketball. They simply refuse to make any effort at all to cover UC athletics. While I do think coverage is important, if I were running UC I would ban Enquirer reporters the two days a month they do show up. Really easy to live without them.

They will cover college football - turn the page from the Xavier basketball article and there is one about Ohio State's offensive line. Nothing but cricket chirps about UC sports.

Comment

I saw that too, just forgot to mention that one. I believe that last year Eggs got more ink in the Enquirer for basketball than UC got for football and basketball combined. On the broadcast side, I quit watching WCPO long ago because they refuse to cover UC.

Comment

I've always wondered about the marketing department within the AD's office. Is there much of a budget for such things as promoting the team? I know the Bengals spend a lot of money for the rights to airtime on the radio, which is why we have a Bungles-line/peprally/etc, almost every night of the week. I get sick of hearing Dumbo Dave Lapham all week long that I never listen to the radio anymore. UC only gets 1 hour a week for the coach's show. Also, the Bungles have 4 hours of pregame air time, whereas the Bearcats only have 1/2 hour before and 1 hour after (by the time I get to the car, the show is over). This has to be $$.

Comment

Gilenerm, I think your assessment is correct. The Air time costs money and it''s probably better spent elsewhere right now. Maybe, at a future date we could plunk down something for more time on WLW/1530 but the department has a high debt load currently. Personally I'd rather see people come out to the stadium and experience better pre game festivities in person than spend more on radio time. Let's face it. The future of broadcasting isn't radio.

There are places to look for additional coverage opportunities though. With the streaming thing seriously picking up steam there's no reason why UC can't stream a video or audio pregame show over the net from Bearcats TV that doesn't have anything to do with Clear Channel and doesn't intrude on their programming and contract.

Oklahoma has an Apple TV app that's pretty on par with what Texas and BYU are doing on the TV front and I'm sure it costs less than the dreaded Longhorn Network . Bearcats TV is essentially a Youtube channel currently so I'm not sure why it couldn't be fashioned into a mobile or streaming TV app.

Not sure what the contract stipulations are for Dan Hoard seeing as how he has Bengals obligations but we've got Matt Noonan year around. He's doing other sports and interviews already in Tommy G's old role which I'm assuming still includes the sideline duties for WLW.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

There''s an article on the front page of the Cincinnati.com sports section about Khalil Lewis today. There's been a article about UC's camp virtually everyday since they went to Higher Ground. Saying Xavier gets more coverage than UC in a given year is silly. UC is the most covered college program in the city by far.

The Bengals are way more popular than the Bearcats. That's just a fact and true in most markets with NFL teams. Thus, they're going to get more air time. The Bengals market extends south of Lexington and north of Dayton. Mo Egger says all the time on his show he gets close to zero calls for UC football. People calling about the Bengals? Everyday. If you want to change the coverage call into Lance and Mo's show and talk Bearcats. At some point we need to look in the mirror.
                    Last edited by McMickenKid; 08-11-2017, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by McMickenKid View Post
                      Saying Xavier gets more coverage than UC in a given year is silly. UC is the most covered college program in the city by far.
                      Absolutely wrong. I was so PO'd about it last year I actually used a ruler and measured the column inches in the print edition every day. What I said was correct. If you want to defend the Enquirer coverage of UC that's up to you, but don't attack facts you haven't researched.

Comment

Absolutely wrong. I was so PO'd about it last year I actually used a ruler and measured the column inches in the print edition every day. What I said was correct. If you want to defend the Enquirer coverage of UC that's up to you, but don't attack facts you haven't researched.

Notice he referenced the .com site. I would suggest that most people don't go there for their sports information - rather they read the print sports section - and when you just stick to the print edition you can go days, if not weeks, without seeing anything meaningful about UC athletics.

Comment

Aside from claiming your unofficial ruler measurements as facts, in order to actually measure this correctly you'd have to go by word count.

Comment

Originally posted by richard k. View Post

Notice he referenced the .com site. I would suggest that most people don't go there for their sports information - rather they read the print sports section - and when you just stick to the print edition you can go days, if not weeks, without seeing anything meaningful about UC athletics.
                            This is hilarious. You guys realize print media is dying right? Enquirer circulation has been plummeting for years.
                            Last edited by McMickenKid; 08-18-2017, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by McMickenKid View Post

This is hilarious. You guys realize print media is dying right? Enquirer circulation has been plummeting for years.
                              WAIT A MINUTE!!! You mean they write sports stories on paper that you can purchase and read. That is freaking amazing!! (yes, satire).

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X