Cincy Enquirer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cincy Enquirer

A few days ago, there was a general article about CE providing more content & no just about scores & updates. Well I guess that means they won't cover games or post box scores. The UC vs USF game last nite
    ended before 9pm. There was not mention of the actual game in the paper this morning or a box score. That paper is worthless!
    Just my humble opinion!!!
    Last edited by bearcatjd; 02-16-2017, 10:19 AM.

This was posted around 9 PM last night - http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...-usf/97965198/

Comment

That was not in my paper this morning!
      WTF, why not!!!!?
      What is the sense in printing the paper if it's not relevant & doesn't have content!

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatjd View Post
        That was not in my paper this morning!
        WTF, why not!!!!?
        What is the sense in printing the paper if it's not relevant & doesn't have content!

It's the Columbus Enquirer, not the Cincinnati Enquirer. Since it is published in Columbus the deadlines are way earlier than when it was a local rag. They also canned most of their reporters when the move was made. Bill Koch was one of those and he now writes for GOBEARCATS.COM providing much better coverage than he was allowed to do for the Enquirer.

Comment

Where are the actual presses these days? Since half the staff moved to the Columbus Dispatch offices a while back, I'm wondering if the paper is actually delivered south via Columbus now. That might cause an earlier print deadline. That would explain the lack of print run on that article. I probably don't need to say this but print news is essentially dead. It's easier to produce online content these days than print a paper. I know the Plain Dealer is down to delivering 3 days a week and a weekend edition. Last time someone sent me a paper Enquirer, I was amazed at how small it was.

IMO, you're better off subscribing to the digital edition and grabbing a tablet or a computer to read it online. I'm a subscriber to the DMN down here as well as some nationally distributed papers and I don't get any of the print copies. I don't have the demographics handy but I'd be interested to see the age range of people still getting a print edition. I promise I'm not calling anyone old but I think the age range is on the high side. I suspect print editions of most papers will cease after the baby boomer generation.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I am old school & like the paper in my hands in the morning with my coffee. I do have the digital version on my phone & tablet. I did not even get a paper Wed so I read it on my phone. If it's before 10pm, they
            can print results up to that time & have many times in the past. However, I guess are not even going to try anymore. Sad organization!

Comment

Originally posted by cpawstoney View Post

It's the Columbus Enquirer, not the Cincinnati Enquirer. Since it is published in Columbus the deadlines are way earlier than when it was a local rag. They also canned most of their reporters when the move was made. Bill Koch was one of those and he now writes for GOBEARCATS.COM providing much better coverage than he was allowed to do for the Enquirer.
              It turns out that the decision to print the paper in Columbus and truck it to Cincinnati was extremely short sighted. Print news is already at a disadvantage in timeliness but moving the deadline back is just ridiculous. Back in the 70's the Reds games started at 8:05 every night and somehow there was always full coverage in the morning paper. Moving the deadline backwards was exactly the wrong thing to do in this day and age. Koch is much better now as well.

Comment

I'm of the opinion that things have been weird at the Enquirer for a long time. Maybe it was a function of the personnel at the top but even if it was I don't get their position sometimes. The paper has always seemed to be adversarial vs. it's readers. Margaret Buchanan who ran the paper for long time was a BoT member at UC and has moved on from Gannett to be the head of UC health. Then Rick Green came in from Des Moines and based on what I can tell from down here in Texas, reorg'd the place and let all the old guard employees go or moved them to C-Bus. He got up and left for NJ afterwards.

Gannett destroyed a level of management and didn't back fill the publisher position for the Enquirer. Current head guy is Eddie Tyner, editor is Peter Bhatia. Sports is Jason Hoffman who is a UC grad. Tyner and Bhatia do not have any connection to the city as far as I can tell. That's not a pre-req to run the place but I'm not sure if an outsider can come into the conservative Cincinnati market and and grasp the demographic properly. Managing by numbers isn't going to work in the market because Cincinnatians hate change with a passion.

Seems like in sports, they're trying to appeal to more spread out regional fan bases and it's turned off the UC fans entirely. They've lost the UC fanbase at this point and have basically said c'est la vie. If they ever want their readership numbers to go up again, they're going to have to refocus on the Cincinnati bubble demographic and work to understand it better. There's a reason why Cincinnati Bell stills exists in the telecommunications market even though there's absolutely no reason why it should still be in business. Insert Mark Twain quote here.
                Last edited by Lobot; 02-25-2017, 09:56 AM.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Good analysis. I would cancel the paper in a heart beat & read USA Today instead. I read it just for the little coverage it prints. They really don't care about the paper in hand reader. If they don't deliver a paper,
                  they don't give you a credit. They delay the bill charge on your credit card by 1 day & give you an attitude when you call. Hence, I don't call anymore that's what they want. So in essence we are stuck with this
                  lousy paper!!!

Comment

Just for the record, last night's game ended before 9:00 PM and there was no coverage of the game in the print edition this morning. They're not even trying anymore.

Comment

Yet I was able to read about it online at 9:30 last night. That is why I have no need for a hard copy of any paper.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                        Yet I was able to read about it online at 9:30 last night. That is why I have no need for a hard copy of any paper.
                        I noticed the same thing. Happened with the Xavier game the night before. Don't understand with today's technology how stories can't make it to press on time. Right now the only the Enquirer is good for is wrapping dead fish.

John

Comment

Like I said the focus has moved becuase it had to. Here's the weekend links round up. http://www.cincinnati.com/sports/uc/
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X