The Death of Cable via Hulu etc.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Death of Cable via Hulu etc.

Hulu announced today that that they would be handling streaming for FOX and ESPN sports properties in the near future. That should effectvely sound the death knell for ESPN's cable subscriber base. Hulu is a joint venture of FOX and Disney. This stations will also be available on AT&T's upcoming DirecTV Now. The channels are also available currently on Playstation Vue and SlingTV. Some optional equipment is required for some of these solution but the most important thing to have in order to use them have is fast internet.

Here are the details: https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/01/hu...abc-espn-more/
    Last edited by Lobot; 11-01-2016, 02:31 PM.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/es...history-102916

Brent,
    Interesting article about how fast the "World Wide Leader" is losing cable subscribers. This is the beginning of the end for ESPN as we have known it.
    I'm assuming you've already read this article. If not here's a good excerpt:

"These 621,000 lost subscribers in the past month alone lead to a drop in revenue of over $52 million and continue the alarming subscriber decline at ESPN. Couple these subscriber declines with a 24% drop in Monday Night Football ratings this fall, the crown jewel of ESPN programming, and it's fair to call October of 2016 the worst month in ESPN's history. But this isn't just a story about ESPN, the rapid decline in cable subscribers is hitting every channel, sports and otherwise. It just impacts ESPN the most because ESPN costs every cable and satellite subscriber roughly $7 a month, over triple the next most expensive cable channel.
    Yep, if you have a cable or satellite subscription, whether you watch ESPN or not, you're paying ESPN over $80 a year.
    What does ESPN do with that money?
    It buys sports rights.
    Presently ESPN is on the hook for the following yearly sports rights payments: $1.9 billion a year to the NFL for Monday Night Football, $1.47 billion to the NBA, $700 million to Major League Baseball, $608 million for the College Football Playoff, $225 million to the ACC, $190 million to the Big Ten, $120 million to the Big 12, $125 million a year to the PAC 12, and hundreds of millions more to the SEC."

Comment

I wonder if ESPN has a way to get out of some of these contracts. Let's say they can't stop the bleeding (they can't) and can't pay the bills for all of these broadcast rights in 5 years or so. What happens? Does ESPN try to renegotiate or cancel their contracts with the less prominent institutions in the list in blackattack's excerpt above (Big & Pac 12, ACC to start with)? What would that mean for what are essentially small market teams with an outsize name who depend on money promised in these contracts to maintain their facilities (I'm guessing the likes of Auburn, Oregon St. although they may be well established enough to survive)- does the state and their boosters pick up the slack or do they cut back? What do you think this means for the P4 model? Does ESPN try to force a 64-team league early to consolidate debts and get the price down or is an 'elite' 64-team league impossible because no one broadcaster would have enough money to support a rights contract that is big enough (I hope it is the latter)?

€‹The cascade effects of ESPN having to cut back are interesting to think about...
      Last edited by Big Herm; 11-02-2016, 07:02 AM. Reason: edited for clarity
      McMicken College of Arts & Sciences 1999

Comment

Time to resurrect this thread. A couple things have happened in the last couple of weeks. First YouTube TV was announced at 34.99/month which will include ESPN/2/U. It's currently available to 5 major metros and will be rolling out slowly to other markets. Secondly, yesterday Hulu announced that it would be adding sports to it's service at a future date for $39.99 . You also have AT&T DirectNow and Sling TV out there. All that is on the horizon.

Here's a good article on the options coming.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/13/hu...s-sources-say/
        Last edited by Lobot; 04-14-2017, 09:06 AM.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Sling got me through March Madness. The best part about it is that you can cancel anytime (which I still have to do).

Comment

I think that the ESPN problem has effectively been solved at this point if you want to cut the cord. The remaining issue is CBSSN.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
              Time to resurrect this thread. A couple things have happened in the last couple of weeks. First YouTube TV was announced at 34.99/month which will include ESPN/2/U. It's currently available to 5 major metros and will be rolling out slowly to other markets. Secondly, yesterday Hulu announced that it would be adding sports to it's service at a future date for $39.99 . You also have AT&T DirectNow and Sling TV out there. All that is on the horizon.

Here's a good article on the options coming.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/13/hu...s-sources-say/
              Hence the arguments you keep seeing about Net Neutrality, the broadband providers are lobbying hard for the ability to provide tiered pricing for Internet service as they lose subscribers on their cable services. History has shown that the big guys win fights like this, so while the array of Internet provided content continues to grow the broadband providers won't sit still. The future for Net Neutrality does not look good.

Comment

Cnet article with Handy comparison chart. Was written before Hulu's announcement and includes Playstation Vue. If I'm reading the chart right, CBBSN is available on Youtube TV which is great for the regular season but TNT and TBS are not which rules them out for NCAA tourney time.

https://www.cnet.com/news/youtube-tv...eups-compared/

Last edited by Lobot; 04-15-2017, 08:43 AM.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

YouTube TV site now lists CBSSN as an included channel
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Hulu Live has officially launched for Android, iOS, Apple TV (4thgen), Chromecast, Xbox one for $39.99/month w/Commercials and $43.99 w/o.

Here's a NY Times article on all the services.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/03/t...?partner=IFTTT

Last edited by Lobot; 05-04-2017, 08:59 AM.
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Thought I'd let everyone know. I'm in on the beta test for Hulu Live. I'm working with what's currently a 75/75 non shared internet connection with an LED TV that refreshes at 240mhz and an Apple TV (4th gen) on Wifi . Biggest compliant so far is motion artifacts for live sports because of network lag. I'm working with Hulu to get the stream ironed out because right now sports with constant motion is almost unwatchable. I was attempting to watch soccer on NBC the other day and the ball has a tracer on it about a foot long. Reminds me of watching hockey on Fox years ago when they had the chip in the puck that left a blue track behind it on the video.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Youtube TV will launch shortly in several new metro areas. Cincinnati market is not on the list yet. My market is so I'm going to check it out in comparison to HULU. Major issue with YTV is that Viacom is withholding everything but CBS from the agreement with Youtube, so no CBSSN so far. cost $35 a month with a cloud based DVR service.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

@Bearcat_T on twitter sent this out earlier today which I thought was worth sharing .

https://wherecaniwatchmy.team/#/compare/ncaaf/3118

There's one thing on here that's incorrect though. Direct TV now just signed CBS networks up today so the NAVY game is available there. Can anyone out there verify that you can do ESPN3 on youtube TV and Hulu? I have not seen this available on Hulu and was wondering if Youtube TV is worth a trial run.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Also seeing where CBSSN is going to go with a 24/7 streaming network shortly. No cost info might be independent of the streaming services.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Youtube TV is now available in the Cincinnati TV market as well as several others.

Was discussing on Twitter with a few fans that the logins for at least Sling and Hulu work with the Watch ESPN app for ESPN3 games. Not sure about DirectTV NOW and Youtube TV yet.
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X