Kelly on Jim Rome today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly on Jim Rome today

I just heard rome say that kelly would be his guest next hour, so i assume that will be around 1!
    Volt for Holt!

He's on right now.

Comment

No radio in my apartment and the internet broadcast isn't working on my comp...someone sum it up after he's done!
      In Mick we trust

Comment

Said Ohio State is the New York Yankees and that Cincinnati is the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Comment

Originally posted by Forsure21 View Post
          Said Ohio State is the New York Yankees and that Cincinnati is the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.
          Actually, he said quite a bit more than that.

- Said it's OK for the team to embrace the ranking. They started unranked and made their way up the poll, so embrace it, knowing that there's plenty of work to do.
          - Said the OSU game in 2012 is just another step on the ladder. We first had to win. Then win championship. Then it is time to develope an in-state rivalry game.
          - Said we had to get our place in the market of a pro town.
          - Said our team is very good. How good? We'll see, but we're a good team.
          - Said Tony has all the tools. If he keeps winning into November and getting the job done, his name will be in the mix.
          - Said it has been fun building the program here.
          - Said (as he has before) that we don't need every top recruit. We're not going to get them all, but we can win with guys that fit our needs and do it a different way (this was the NY / TB reference.)

There was more but hopefully this gives an idea of the conversation. Let's hope its not too early to have this be karma for next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat85 View Post
            - Said it has been fun building the program here.
            For whatever it's worth, this was the first interview I've heard with Kelly where I really got the sense that he meant that.

I'm speculating wildly (and perhaps hopefully), but I think he's really got it in his mind now that he isn't that far off from a national title shot in Cincinnati. Maybe not in 2009, but the concept isn't as far-fetched as it seemed even 6 weeks ago.

You can give it a patriotic name, but it still sucks.

Comment

If anybody can find a podcast of the interview and post a link here that would be much appreciated!
              When all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Comment

Originally posted by #41 View Post
                I'm speculating wildly (and perhaps hopefully), but I think he's really got it in his mind now that he isn't that far off from a national title shot in Cincinnati. Maybe not in 2009, but the concept isn't as far-fetched as it seemed even 6 weeks ago.
                It all comes down to money. If we build those practice fields then upgrade or replace Nippert, we can hang on to him.

Comment

Originally posted by bobestes View Post
                  It all comes down to money. If we build those practice fields then upgrade or replace Nippert, we can hang on to him.
                  Totally disagree. If you want to keep the program progressing you build the facilities but none of this will guarentee that a coach will stay. Talk to West Virginia, Louisville, LSU and other programs who have the facilities and still have lost coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by ME80 View Post
                    Totally disagree. If you want to keep the program progressing you build the facilities but none of this will guarentee that a coach will stay. Talk to West Virginia, Louisville, LSU and other programs who have the facilities and still have lost coaches.
                    Kelly made mention of the fact, in this interview, that being in charge of Cincinnati was different than most jobs because there was no history to look back to or past championships to talk about.

I think Kelly understands that he's got a choice to make in the near future between building something from scratch and making it his own or gonig someplace else and being the latest in a distinguished line of coaches.

I can't help but think all this swirling talk of championships and heismans combined with the incredible step forward in fundraising (in the face of a terrible economy in nationally and locally) might be starting to weigh on that decisionmaknig process.

You can give it a patriotic name, but it still sucks.

Comment

Jim also asked Brian Kelly if he was going to be around to see that UC-OSU game in 2012 and Coach Kelly pretty much ignored the question. I am not surprised by this because why would he want to show his hand before he has to. I also was glad to hear Rome tell him he hopes he sticks around at Cincy. Most national columnists and media people seem annoyed that Cincy is good at football and keep going back to the crutch of, "Well, coach Kelly will be gone soon so who cares" instead of letting us enjoy the ride for however long it lasts.

Comment

Originally posted by #41 View Post
                        Kelly made mention of the fact, in this interview, that being in charge of Cincinnati was different than most jobs because there was no history to look back to or past championships to talk about.

I think Kelly understands that he's got a choice to make in the near future between building something from scratch and making it his own or gonig someplace else and being the latest in a distinguished line of coaches.

I can't help but think all this swirling talk of championships and heismans combined with the incredible step forward in fundraising (in the face of a terrible economy in nationally and locally) might be starting to weigh on that decisionmaknig process.
                        I also think BK might be the type where, in 10 or 15 years, he might be in line to be the Athletic Director, a la Belotti or Alvarez. When the grind of coaching gets old but he will be able to make sure his legacy would be carried on. Just a thought. He appears to have the leadership ability, organization skills and PR brains for it.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbachunk View Post
                          If anybody can find a podcast of the interview and post a link here that would be much appreciated!
                          You have to subscribe to listen to Rome's broadcasts online. You can sign up for like $7 a month or something like that.

Did Rome have anything to say in summation? I find him to be a very good interviewer, and he usually follows up his interviews with some thoughts of his own. I was bummed I missed this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Natiwhat View Post
                            You have to subscribe to listen to Rome's broadcasts online. You can sign up for like $7 a month or something like that.

Did Rome have anything to say in summation? I find him to be a very good interviewer, and he usually follows up his interviews with some thoughts of his own. I was bummed I missed this one.
                            He basically ripped OSU fans after the interview for whinning about UC being ranked higher. He essentially told them to get used to it and quit crying. He seemed to have a lot of respect for Kelly and what he is doing at UC and essentially said so after the interview from what I remember.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS View Post
                              Most national columnists and media people seem annoyed that Cincy is good at football and keep going back to the crutch of, "Well, coach Kelly will be gone soon so who cares" instead of letting us enjoy the ride for however long it lasts.
                              I've tried to explain this notion before but have never been able to put it like this. You hit the nail on the head.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X