UC coaching moves

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UC coaching moves

Willie Martinez has left the program for the UCF staff.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

He was the cornerback coach. Any love lost?

Comment

Correct and I’m not sure. The CBs were no better or worse than the previous year IMO. Talent upgrade coming through if they all stick with the class.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Paul Haynes, former HC at Kent State will join the staff to coach CBs.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Haynes previously coached at OSU at the same position under Fickell so Haynes should already be familiar with the system on defense.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I like this hire - he's an Ohio native, so he knows the area, and I hope has some good connections in NE Ohio having played and coached there.

Re: Martinez. I think we got him on the rebound of not being re-hired by Tennessee. I looked at some UT blogs at the time to see what was being said about him leaving, and the UT fans sounded complaints similar to UC criticisms over the past I don't know how many years about our DBs, i.e., their DBs needed to turn around and look for the ball, needed to play closer to the line, etc.

So, with one day left before the early signing date, I like many will be interested to see how our coaches did. But so far only one member turnover of the coaching staff from Year One indicates some stability.

Comment

It was posted that the cats are getting a grad transfer ot. This is paying off.

Comment

Al Washington has left the program. He's headed to Michigan to be RB coach.
                Last edited by Lobot; 01-04-2018, 05:09 PM.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                  Al Washington has left the program. He's headed to Michigan to be RB coach.

thank god for the early signing period or I suspect we could have lost guys like Malik Vann, Deshon Martin, Lorentz Metz, and Bacevich. All the D lIne recruits were his.

Comment

It's going to be "interesting" how adding a 10th assistant affects the non-P5 and the FCS teams. Again this year some of the FCS teams' HCs have left for assistant jobs. A saving grace may be the NCAA putting a limit on the non-coaching advisers/staff numbers.

Comment

Looks like Gino is moving to the QB coaches position.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I've seen that Doug Phillips (Special Teams/TE) is going to move to RB coach to fill Gino's old slot. Denbrock will stay OC, but take on TE. Also as mentioned in another post, Mike Mickens has been rumored to return to the Bearcats as CB coach. Still waiting to see who gets the DL coaching position. This will be important. So right now we would have the Special Teams and the Defensive Line coaching positions to fill.

Comment

Glad to see Gino coaching QB's. He was a great QB for us & I believe he will upgrade this position going forward.

Comment

Well, Paul Haynes didn't last long - he's been announced as Michigan State's DB coach.

Comment

Kinda makes sense since they went out after Mickens. They never formally anounced Haynes, I dont think.
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X