Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here is what we need for a better 2018 season!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is what we need for a better 2018 season!

4-8 might be as good as Butch Jones' first year, but Jones' 4-8 team was much better.... remember the near upset of Oklahoma at PBS? This year's team would have lost by 50 to Oklahoma. But a win is a win, and it is nice to finish with a W against a very bad UConn team. (Did you see Memphis was up 49-0 against ECU yesterday at halftime?...how did we lose 48-20 against ECU?).

Here is what is needed in the recruiting department:

1. Several highly talented JUCOs, who can fill in the biggest voids.
    2. Most needed position, PK. Get a kicker who can kick off and keep it in bounds, one who can kick touchbacks, and one who can automatically hit extra points and FG's within 45 yards.
    3. A QB who is consistent. Hayden Moore did not play well this year, but remember, he did not have the receivers he once did. He still easily holds the AAC record for most passing yards in a single game (556). That happened when he had four great receivers.
    4. DB's who can cover their receivers. We have not had a great DB core since the days of BK.

Beyond that, we have some good players already on the field and in the pipeline. Not sure who scheduled UC to open at UCLA next year, but my early prediction is that we will finish 6-6.

Finally, regarding AAC coaches, look for Frost from Central Florida go to Nebraska; Memphis coach to go somewhere. Strong at USF inherited a very good, very talent loaded team. Who knows how he will ultimately do at USF.

B.C.
    "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

We also need our coaching staff to not have our DB's playing 10 yards off opponents receivers.
    I agree with JUCO's--could use off & def linemen. 2 Place kickers that can make extra points & field goals. This position have been a disaster the last 2 years.
    The sky is the limit for future years!

Comment

Great thoughts, I would also add receivers with speed. I think it was during the Tulane game that the ESPN announcers kept remarking about the receiving corp's lack of speed and inability to create separation.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatjd View Post
        We also need our coaching staff to not have our DB's playing 10 yards off opponents receivers.
        I agree with JUCO's--could use off & def linemen. 2 Place kickers that can make extra points & field goals. This position have been a disaster the last 2 years.
        The sky is the limit for future years!
        To be frank I'm not sure this was due to DC and DB coaching philosophy or talent level. Press coverage would be nice but have to have the right guys for that. DB has been a position of need for a while now. The amount of attrition at this position has been startling since the Dantonio/BK crossover era. BK and BJ didn't recruit it well. Tuberville (Clinkscale/Koontz) tried to recruit it and half them either fell off the earth, got in trouble or were injured.

JUCO Lineman have been offered. Just need to sign them. Signing day is approaching. One of the guys we offered visited ASU yesterday. The coaching staff there was let go this morning. Fingers crossed.

Garrett Rigby from Stow was a redshirt this year. Cole Smith K from Middletown is on his way in the incoming class. So there's two of your kickers. We've also offered a gray shirt to at least one HS K/P. Ryan Jones is actually the backup P and will be a Junior. I think we'll be OK at the position eventually. Might take a year or improvement from Jones to solidify that position.
        Last edited by Lobot; 11-27-2017, 10:08 AM.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Something I thought of this morning from the pre season prediction thread. A lot of us, including me, overestimated the value of engaged coaches versus level of talent on the field. I like Luke Fickell but in the end, better coaching only gets us so far. I think he can get us where we want to be but a talent level upgrade needs to happen and it might take more than a couple years to see results. Stay the course.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X