No announcement yet.

Smu 10/21 4:00 espnu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the plus side this is as good as the team has looked this year. I agree that Hayden has made some regrettable decisions. I'm more concerned that he can't seem to complete anything longer than 20 yards. Is that coaching or just that our receivers aren't good at running routes and getting open?? Defense seems to be getting better but still cannot reliably tackle. Gerald Doaks and Michael Warren look like the real deal when our offensive line can consistently block for them. I'd like to see the tight end more involved in the passing offense. Might make the defense pay less attention to our outside receivers.

SMU was terrible three years ago and they have rebuilding on track. I hope we do as well.

Comment

Woulda, coulda, shoulda won today, but did not. Just remember though that the 2018 recruiting class has been ranked as the number one class in the AAC. Give Fickle a couple years, and you will see a very good team out there on the field.

B.C.
      "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

Here's a box score: http://www.espn.com/college-football...meId=400941826
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I thought we played well but I question some of the coaching decisions down the stretch. Seems like we got away from what was working on offense in the 2nd half. Defense may have dictated that but Denbrock's play calling changed in the 4th qtr in particular. The relutance to throw the ball deep down the field more than once a game is weird. The "pass" by Moore at the end was terrible but that's not the first time a college QB playing for us has done that. Kiel pulled a few of those in end game situations. Moore's was particularly bad becuase if the situation it happened in. Almost like he didn't realize what down it was and panicked thinking it was 4th.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Hard to give Fickell a pass at this point with some of the strange decisions and outcomes/record. But I hope the coaching improves sooner than later, or none of the talent is going matter a whole lot in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
              The "pass" by Moore at the end was terrible but that's not the first time a college QB playing for us has done that. Kiel pulled a few of those in end game situations. Moore's was particularly bad becuase if the situation it happened in. Almost like he didn't realize what down it was and panicked thinking it was 4th.
              If you remember, Moore also coughed up the ball at the end of the Memphis game two years ago under similar circumstances. That was his debut, in which he came on to break Greg Cook's yardage record.

Comment

I have nothing against Moore, and he's been a competitor. However, you cannot win games with him at qb with his turnover problem. The other turnover in their territory on his terrible forward pitch into Doaks face mask was also a killer. You just can't win with a qb who is this mistake prone. In your third year you have to be smarter than what he shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliftonite View Post
                  Hard to give Fickell a pass at this point with some of the strange decisions and outcomes/record. But I hope the coaching improves sooner than later, or none of the talent is going matter a whole lot in the end.
                  Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post
                  Woulda, coulda, shoulda won today, but did not. Just remember though that the 2018 recruiting class has been ranked as the number one class in the AAC. Give Fickle a couple years, and you will see a very good team out there on the field.

B.C.
                  I am not worried about this year. It’s a sorting it out exercise. I am of the opinion we won’t see true Bearcat football until middle or late next year. Until then I am biding my time. I am the type of a personality that gets his knickers in a wad if a gnat farts the wrong way so that should say a lot.

We saw quite a few years of futility under the previous supposed "head coach", you know Coach "Phone it In". ;-) I am more than willing to give Coach Fickel enough time to try and reroute the carriage that is headed towards the ravine meaning I am not going to worry one bit about this year. Will I be disappointed; sure. But disappointment is because I still believe in the program.

Go ‘Cats!

Comment

As I posted early last week on here, I expect us to only win one more game this year (East Carolina). That said, I thought we showed some signs of improvement in this game, except of course for the turnovers. I feel bad for our guys.....they competed like crazy and to lose that way is a bummer. You keep thinking we can't possibly invent another way to lose...........and then we do. It looks like CLF is committed to Hayden Moore no matter what happens. Either that or Trail and Sopko are hurt or just not ready.
                    Anybody else who attended the game notice what SMU was doing on EVERY 3rd down play on offense?........they had wide receiver Trey Quinn (#18) run down a couple yards past the sticks and do a little curl. Our D coordinator had to know that was coming on every 3rd down and we still played off of him with very soft coverage. Frustrating watching that over and over and over again. And then of course the 4th and 26 conversion to Quinn in OT. Their QB was looking for Quinn on almost every play.

Comment

Originally posted by blackattack View Post
                      As I posted early last week on here, I expect us to only win one more game this year (East Carolina). That said, I thought we showed some signs of improvement in this game, except of course for the turnovers. I feel bad for our guys.....they competed like crazy and to lose that way is a bummer. You keep thinking we can't possibly invent another way to lose...........and then we do. It looks like CLF is committed to Hayden Moore no matter what happens. Either that or Trail and Sopko are hurt or just not ready.
                      Anybody else who attended the game notice what SMU was doing on EVERY 3rd down play on offense?........they had wide receiver Trey Quinn (#18) run down a couple yards past the sticks and do a little curl. Our D coordinator had to know that was coming on every 3rd down and we still played off of him with very soft coverage. Frustrating watching that over and over and over again. And then of course the 4th and 26 conversion to Quinn in OT. Their QB was looking for Quinn on almost every play.
                      I agree....I was screaming at the tv to cover him with 2 guys (or 3). This has me worried about this coaching staff, especially the defense. I know the there is a lack of talent but come on. You have got to get off the field on 4-26 in OT. I think that falls on coaching. The light went a little dimmer on CLF. Maybe he is the coach not retained by tO$U.

Comment

Look, the coverage was there on that play as Minor was all over him not to mention with the scramble the qb had the ball quite a while which made coverage difficult. My biggest fear on that play was a pass interference penalty and the automatic first down. That was a hail Mary play, and he hit it. Got to give them credit. Probably executes it one time in a hundred. He threw the ball back across his body and was inches from being out of bounds. Player caught it on the ground. Minor probably should have tried to knock it down, but was just a split second late. The coverage was not bad on the play. If somebody interferes with him there would have been a different excuse. Give the other team some credit, very, very difficult completion.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
                          Look, the coverage was there on that play as Minor was all over him not to mention with the scramble the qb had the ball quite a while which made coverage difficult. My biggest fear on that play was a pass interference penalty and the automatic first down. That was a hail Mary play, and he hit it. Got to give them credit. Probably executes it one time in a hundred. He threw the ball back across his body and was inches from being out of bounds. Player caught it on the ground. Minor probably should have tried to knock it down, but was just a split second late. The coverage was not bad on the play. If somebody interferes with him there would have been a different excuse. Give the other team some credit, very, very difficult completion.
                          ​Maybe so, but I tend to believe this is more on UC's defense than anything else. I was at the Marshall game and watch them repeatedly convert third down after third down after third down . . . . . Why UC's DBs don't play up on the LOS, if for no other reason than to disrupt the receiver's route and give the D-line a little chance at a sack, or least to pressure the QB. The third down defense is flat out horrible. While at the game, I jokingly said to my neighbor, a Marshall alum, not to worry because third down was coming up. And, it happened to be correct . . .every f'ing time.

Comment

I sometimes think playing up on the outside receivers might be a good thing but the down side to that is a good receiver can get loose and streak into the open for long gains. Maybe as our corners get better that will be an option.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X