2017 So Far....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 So Far....

We should have all known that when we struggled with Austin Peay, it was going to be a long year. Only Miami has self destructed worse than us (did you see the fumble at the end of the game against BG, that BG ran back for a TD).....ugh, worse ending than their disaster against us!

2017 UC Bright spots:

1. D against the run
    2. Special teams coverage
    3. Punting has been pretty good

Not to bright spots:

1. Pass defense
    2. PK (worse I have ever seen since following UC FB since 1975)
    3. QB and receivers
    4. No running game
    5. O-line not opening any holes

Give CF three years. He inherited a team that was in today disarray. CTT did NOTHING during his four years here, except set the UC FB program back 10 years.

Next year will be better. Just look how fast UCF turned things around.

B.C.
    "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

I guess special teams coverage has been OK but have to disagree with defense against the run. I don't think we have been able to stop anyone, either thru the air or on the ground. Yes, the stats look reasonable (except for Navy) but that is because we can be burned anywhere the opposition cares to. As far as punting, it is going to take some time to get used to the different style. I'm used to high, spiraling punts with good hang time.

This season reminds me a lot of UC pre-Dantanio. I suspect we are going to need to give Coach Fickell at least three full seasons to see reasonable progress.

Comment

The issue with 2017 is that the talent level at DB went down significantly under TT for various reasons and they were coached poorly by Clinkscale until the 2016 season when he left. We also lost Alex Thomas this year to his own stupidity. Unfortunately this isn't the pros where you can go grab a free agent with experience so we're stuck here. As a result opposing teams don't need to run much against us at all. Just enough plays to make the DBs bite on play action, which some of them are highly prone to doing. It's a weekly occurrence as I've mentioned before. We need improvement from Carter Jacobs on pass defense and I'd like to see less penalties from Linden Stephens, although I'll take 15 yards vs. a TD every time. I'd also like to see us cover the Slot and TE a lot better. To me, Navy was an anomaly on defense becuase of the triple option offense being run and they still burned us on play action twice. They only threw 3 passes and 2 of them went for big gains but lulling you to sleep like that is something they do well.

The offense seems to be improving from game to game. Regardless of what the offense does, the pass defense can't keep us in a game giving up chunk yardage every week. Hayden Moore needs to improve his accuracy. When he misses, it's not close. I don't know if the the coaches have told him to throw everything out of reach if the window is not 100% there or what.

Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

It could be longer than 3 years. Once CLF recruits are in starting roles then a better idea can be had. This year I knew was going to be a total write off. CLF has the kids minds in the right direction and nice to see. I believe we will start relaxing as more and more start intermixing with the current CTT recruits. He has to start with changing the mentality and I think he has done that. I refuse to worry about anything until end of season next year. Until then Ill worry more about tailgating!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
          The issue with 2017 is that the talent level at DB went down significantly under TT for various reasons and they were coached poorly by Clinkscale until the 2016 season when he left. We also lost Alex Thomas this year to his own stupidity. Unfortunately this isn't the pros where you can go grab a free agent with experience so we're stuck here. As a result opposing teams don't need to run much against us at all. Just enough plays to make the DBs bite on play action, which some of them are highly prone to doing. It's a weekly occurrence as I've mentioned before. We need improvement from Carter Jacobs on pass defense and I'd like to see less penalties from Linden Stephens, although I'll take 15 yards vs. a TD every time. I'd also like to see us cover the Slot and TE a lot better. To me, Navy was an anomaly on defense becuase of the triple option offense being run and they still burned us on play action twice. They only threw 3 passes and 2 of them went for big gains but lulling you to sleep like that is something they do well.

The offense seems to be improving from game to game. Regardless of what the offense does, the pass defense can't keep us in a game giving up chunk yardage every week. Hayden Moore needs to improve his accuracy. When he misses, it's not close. I don't know if the the coaches have told him to throw everything out of reach if the window is not 100% there or what.

While Navy did gain yardage on the "fullback" dive and the qb keeper they absolutely destroyed us on the wide pitches. That's where the corners and safeties are exposed - they constantly beat us to the outside. Was with my grandson for the UCF game and when their little running back showed great quickness and beat us to the outside on a pitch early on he simply said "they're too quick/fast - it's going to be a long evening." What's equally bad, perhaps worse, is there doesn't appear to be any understanding off the pass coverage schemes. Have no actual idea on how we got to where we are with our defensive backfield, but the only reason the corners aren't the poorest performers on the entire team is because the safeties are worse. At this point I'm not sure how much coaching or scheme changes are going to make a difference - it's 6 games into the season and we are what we are - everyone now has tape to watch and I can't believe their isn't an offensive coordinator left on our schedule that isn't licking his chops waiting to get at us.

Comment

We've sneaky played a pretty tough schedule. 3 of 4 losses to ranked teams. 2 of those on the road. We'll probably drop one tomorrow but I could definitely see us rallying with such a easy back end schedule and maybe getting to 6 wins. Not probable, but possible.

Comment

I think these last 5 games are critical to where they go next year. Although clearly some teams that can score points, their scheduling has not been that great so it's a lessor gauntlet than the first part of the season. I'd hope for a lot less mistakes. Stay in the game on both sides of the ball. Season isn't over.

Comment

Originally posted by McMickenKid View Post
                We've sneaky played a pretty tough schedule. 3 of 4 losses to ranked teams. 2 of those on the road. We'll probably drop one tomorrow but I could definitely see us rallying with such a easy back end schedule and maybe getting to 6 wins. Not probable, but possible.
                4 of the 7 teams we've played this year have been ranked in the top 25 at some point (Navy dropped out this week after losing to now #25 Memphis). Also, our other loss was to Marshall, who is now receiving votes for the top 25 as of this week. SOS is pretty strong. If we had a good team, it could have been a pretty exciting year.

Comment

Unfortunately, UC has not been even competitive in those 4 games. We have a long uphill climb at this point.

There are no moral victories here based on schedule strength. Regardless of what a mid-season poll says, I am assuming we can all agree that Marshall, Navy, UCF and USF are not programs we would expect UC to struggle with even competing

Comment

Ok, I am living and working in the UK a lot so I do not get a chance to post often. When CF was hired I predicted a rough start, something like 2-5 in the first 7 with a Marshall loss (and a Miami loss - I missed on that one).

I believe it will take longer than 3 years. In past forums, I have often tried to compare UC and BC football - finally, Addazio seems to have gotten things going at Chestnut Hill in year 5.

I agree CTT has set back the UC football program substantially - he just stole money while he was here.

If anyone needs proof that it is just not the number of stars next to recruits' names, then look at CBJ and Tennessee - he's strung together great recruiting classes (4 and 5 stars) and the results just aren't there. Think player development and coaching matter?

I think McElwain is a good coach, if UF gets Dan Mullen then it's a good move - if not, they'll regret letting him go....wasn't his fault so many of his players did dumb things off the field to get suspended including 2 top offensive players.

Noticed an article online a few days ago about the APSU head coach - he's a rising star in the coaching ranks at Austin Peay, and he's put together consecutive good recruiting classes.

Comment

Next weekend against Temple will tell us a lot about whether we can start to turn the corner or not. We're home against a below average team that has even more trouble scoring than we do.

I'd suggest that this weekend might be the weekend to get well but it's a road game and I don't like our chances on the road. We'd be 0-4 on the road it it wasn't for Malik Clements and Miami's QB.

Tulane is run heavy so they chew clock like Navy did. We might be able to hang with them if our offense clicks but I think our chances are better vs. Temple.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by JohnFrancis View Post
                        Ok, I am living and working in the UK a lot so I do not get a chance to post often. When CF was hired I predicted a rough start, something like 2-5 in the first 7 with a Marshall loss (and a Miami loss - I missed on that one).

I believe it will take longer than 3 years. In past forums, I have often tried to compare UC and BC football - finally, Addazio seems to have gotten things going at Chestnut Hill in year 5.

I agree CTT has set back the UC football program substantially - he just stole money while he was here.

If anyone needs proof that it is just not the number of stars next to recruits' names, then look at CBJ and Tennessee - he's strung together great recruiting classes (4 and 5 stars) and the results just aren't there. Think player development and coaching matter?

I think McElwain is a good coach, if UF gets Dan Mullen then it's a good move - if not, they'll regret letting him go....wasn't his fault so many of his players did dumb things off the field to get suspended including 2 top offensive players.

Noticed an article online a few days ago about the APSU head coach - he's a rising star in the coaching ranks at Austin Peay, and he's put together consecutive good recruiting classes.
                        ^^^^^^ agree with this 100%. I think it will be 2019 before we begin to see tangible results on the field. I think next year we start to see some of the potential of our improved recruiting, but CLF is also going to have to change the mindset and culture to that of winning. Losing teams find a way to lose no matter who they're playing. I'm hoping for 4 straight wins to finish the season, but realistically that can only happen if we cut out the mental mistakes, penalties, and turnovers......that's a tall order for a team that's been losing now for almost 2 years.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X