Mea Culpa - I love all Bearcat Players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mea Culpa - I love all Bearcat Players

I just read a quote by Urban Meyer (and believe Fickell is saying the same thing in the locker room).

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...rited-players/
    Myere said this on inherited players - "You didn't choose me. I chose you. You're mine, absolutely I love you, and I'm going to kick the sh!t out of you, and we're going to do it right..."

I've been guilty of saying BK left the cupboard bare or Tubbs left the cupboard bare. I now realize how unfair that is to the student athletes that chose UC. I apologize to each and every one of you. I thank you for your hard work and determination to the program I love.

BTW - this won't make me an O$U casual fan or supporter, but it raises my respect for Urban Meyer three more notches and that respect was already pretty high.
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Not sure which coach came up with phrase "We're going to win with the guys that want to be here", but that holds up well for new coaches after a coaching change.

I think it's fair for people to say Coach Kelly/Jones/Tuberville didn't recruit well at position X for whatever reason. However, for me anyway, that's not a shot at the players that currently play position X. They're here and want to play so let's go.

It's out of our control as fans anyway. Some fans seem to think they can recruit better than the staff or feel the need to try and help them do it. That doesn't really work and in some fans' cases, can actually hurt recruiting.

I'd run out of hands and feet trying to count the amount of Twitter arguments I've seen this recruiting cycle where UC fans are mad at UK fans with a recruit included in the conversation. The recruit is just sitting there in most cases watching, laughing and not participating while the two fan bases go at it. It's crazy.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

IMHO College Football coaching is 50% recruiting and 50% coaching/teaching. You look at what you have and what their skill sets are and you come up with schemes to maximize your chances of winning. You drill on fundamentals and reducing mistakes. The disaster we had in Butch Jones's first year was due to him trying to make the players he inherited fit into his scheme. The disaster we had last year can be laid directly at the feet of TT and the coaching staff starting with the waffling and indecision surrounding the starting quarterback. As far as Luke Fickell, I think most fans like what has happened so far in the off-season but we need to see more of what will happen on the field.

Comment

To be fair...I didn't here CBJ or Tubbs say the words, "blame it on my predecessor, he left the cupboard bare" or any words to that effect. I have said that to either defend the current coach or blame the previous coach and that could be disparaging to the players who are and want to be here. Our coaches (to my knowledge) have said the right things.
        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

I get the sense that Urban not only wont speak about the subject...but that he also actually believes what he is saying.

Big difference.

It's one thing for a coach to not blame previous coaches in public (and them perhaps complain privately to assistant coaches or mentors?). It is entirely another to embrace your situation and take ownership. I believe CLF has a similar belief system. At least I hope he does

Comment

agree with what meyer is saying, but it can put what herman said out of context...possibly. he never directly criticized the players on his team. he made a comment about not being able to change things in nine months. herman hinted at this is a recruiting ploy by meyer more than anything.

take it for what it's worth. it's all 'coach-speak' to me.

Comment

Originally posted by nolte50uc View Post
              agree with what meyer is saying, but it can put what herman said out of context...possibly. he never directly criticized the players on his team. he made a comment about not being able to change things in nine months. herman hinted at this is a recruiting ploy by meyer more than anything.

take it for what it's worth. it's all 'coach-speak' to me.
              Yep agree with you.
              BTW, I watched most of that Texas - Maryland game last week. Obviously it's way too early to make broad generalizations, but that looked like the same Texas team that got beat by a bad Kansas team last year. The announcers in that Texas-Maryland game talked about how Herman has had a struggle to change "the culture" at Texas........"things as simple as making the kids drink water to stay hydrated and being on time for meetings". Sound familiar?.......it's the same crap that Mack Brown apparently struggled with, and then Charlie Strong was supposed to fix, and .........well you get the point here. Which brings me to this question: what the heck is going on with Texas football? And by extension Texas high school players?? (which is the main source of players for Texas, Oklahoma, and all Big12 programs).
              I know one thing.......I'm old enough to know that Texas football didn't used to be this way.....it was ALWAYS among the very best in the country.
              Last edited by blackattack; 09-08-2017, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X