Postgame wrap-up, Austin Peay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postgame wrap-up, Austin Peay

Well, to start with something positive.... the new video board is great! Beyond that, there was nothing I saw tonight that gives me hope that this will be a better than expected year. Let's hope it was just first game jitters, but as of now, I see UC finishing below .500.

B.C.
    "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post
    Well, to start with something positive.... the new video board is great! Beyond that, there was nothing I saw tonight that gives me hope that this will be a better than expected year. Let's hope it was just first game jitters, but as of now, I see UC finishing below .500.

B.C.
    Punting was good. Band, with new director, was very entertaining and good. Video board great. Other than that, not much to be happy about, very disappointing. Students turned out in droves, not sure where other people were. Didn't hit gate of 35,000 people. Couldn't even get radio station (100.7, the Project?) to play to listen to post game once you passed Smith Edward road exit on NB 71. Way to go Clear Channel. Will be a massacre next week at Michigan.

John

Comment

very abysmal performance by the team.... I can't imagine this was planned to be this bad to try and trick Michigan... It looked like Tuberville was still coaching us to be honest.... I miss the days of BK teams having these type of games 56-0 at halftime

Comment

Fickell has a deep hole to dig out of, and I don't expect much progress on the field this year. On the other hand he's been killing it on the recruiting trail so the future looks bright. I think we're about in the same spot as when Dantonio first got here. Dantonio upgraded recruiting, and it was mainly his guys who went undefeated in 2009 under Kelly. The future is bright, so I'll be happy with any progress this year.

Comment

Very disappointing game. CTT put us in a huge hole & I think it's going to take a year or two to be respectable. I'm not sold on H Moore. Also, why didn't we run the ball on the first 2 series of plays. Ganz must still
          be ailing from last year. Michigan game is going to be ugly! Video board & speaker system is 200% better. Band awesome & the beer was cold.
          Let's hope the team can build on this game & win 6 more games this year.

Comment

I was surprised to see only Moore play the whole game at QB. Not only did we only play one QB, only one RB had carries...against Austin Peay. I didn't expect 56-0 at half, but I didn't expect to be up by only two field goals late in the fourth. I stand by this young team coming together and making a Bowl game this year. The future looks bright, but I will reserve judgment until game five. That game will tell much more about our team as I fully expect the 'Cats will only have 1-2 wins with Miami the possible win and losses to Michigan and Navy. How will that team fare against a much lesser opponent before playing the rest of the conference schedule?

Also, I don't buy that Austin Peay is much improved with their high number of newcomers...that team may win 3 games this year for the first time in a while, but they're not good.
            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Agree with most of you. I felt like I was about to see 2016 replay. The next three games are going to be ugly. Well actually, unless we make considerable progress, the entire season could be ugly. Hayden Moore had such a great start when he threw for over 500 yards against Memphis. He doesn't look like the same quarterback these days. Is there that big of a drop-off in receivers?? Is he reading his progressions correctly?? Are the routes just not designed properly. Something just doesn't feel right. Defense looked good in spots but AP still gashed us for a lot of yards and killed us on time of possession. I like Coach Fickell's attitude and what he brings, but he has a big, big hole to dig out of. TT really did destroy this program.

Comment

I thought the overall offensive execution was poor at best. In addition, I don't remember us taking even one serious deep shot the whole game. Longest completed pass was 21 yards. Defense mounted no pressure on the QB although I think the offense AP was running had a lot to do with that. Had 1 sack and 1 hurry and that was it.

Bright spots: Mike Boone and Perry Young. Boone rushes for 100 yards on 19 carries. Young was everywhere and had 17 total tackles, 10 solo, and 3 TFLs.

Here's the full box : http://www.espn.com/college-football...meId=400941787

It's a less impressive W than we all thought we'd get but it's still a W. On to Michigan.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Interesting observation from the pre-game CATWALK was that no sweets, no T-shirts, no headphones/earbuds. The entire team wore coats and ties, some even with bowties. Looked a lot more enthusiastic for the game than the CATWALK's of last year.

John

Comment

Not good, I expected a much better showing from the Offense.... Moore has a lot of work to do.... WR's and RB's did not look bad, except for the dropped TD in the first half...... Defense looked good at times, but we were gauged consistently in the run game.....Austin Peay picked up big chunks.......Michigan will absolutely destroy us next weekend..... The game is not going to be as close as I thought.....On a brighter note, I saw Leonard Stokes with DeMarr Johnson at the game last night.....Always good to see past players of significance attending the games.......

Comment

I had one very positive takeaway from the game and it was no turnovers or sacks. One mishandled snap from Moore, but overall good ball protection. New coaches, new schemes, a kicker who hasn't played in a game in ages, it's a process. I still do not think Boone is durable or quick enough to be a full time back, but we'll see. We've got some depth there. Punter was easy to see why they grabbed him. First football game ever and he looks to be a great pickup. Onward.

Comment

Well, it was not what I expected to see, but another reason I don't make predictions. And years of experience have made me immune to off-season hype - I believe it when I see it.

That said, positives were no turnovers, as mentioned before, and the Cats didn't hang their heads and give up. Also, video board was nice and clear, and I guess the newness meant no in-stadium commercials! Also, perfect timing by the parachutist carrying the American flag landing during the final stanza.

I was disappointed in the initial offensive play-calling - all passes. In the end UC ran 29 times with 28 passes, a good balance, but AP ran the ball 60 times! Hence, the Cats really lost the possession battle - 22 minutes to AP's 38.

There was supposed to have been an emphasis on tackling and special teams during summer camp, but both were lacking. And the penalties incurred were atrocious and some were stupid.

I think Hayden Moore is a more than adequate QB; I think it's the receivers that are lacking. Devin Gray is fast but I'm not impressed with his route-running nor, sometimes, his effort.

But, the Cats have one in the books, and it was a win. I still hold that the greatest improvements for a FB team is between the first and second game. The coaches and player now have video and know what needs to be fixed. So we'll see what we shall see.

Go Cats1

Comment

Note on Boone: he probably played more snaps than normal. Doaks was injured and couldn't go. Warren only had a handful of carries.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Coach Fickell still working the high schools. He was at the Xavier/Colerain game Friday night.

Comment

Originally posted by Geaux Juan View Post

There was supposed to have been an emphasis on tackling and special teams during summer camp, but both were lacking. And the penalties incurred were atrocious and some were stupid.
                              The missed tackles and penalties seemed to carry over from last year. I'm hoping to see a big improvement in these areas.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X