Season Predictions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season Predictions

Call for season predictions since we're roughly a month away from the season.

I'm going with 6-6 w/ losses @Michigan, @Miami, @Navy, UCF, @USF, @ECU.

I'd like to win one of the road games up front to maintain good attendance at home and if we do it'll probably be Miami. I'd love to beat Michigan but I don't think we have the depth or talent level to run with them this year. One week to prepare for an away game at Navy with a mostly new LB corps is not enough. I think we lose to either UCF or SMU at home. SMU is homecoming so I'm counting on a large crowd for that one. SMU seems to be all one guy in Courtland Sutton. I'm really not sure what else they have other than an up and coming QB in Ben Hicks. USF has more speed and talent on the field than we do at this point in time. It'll be instersting to see if Charlie Strong can continue the success from the last two years under Taggart. I really have no idea what ECU has coming back but it's a tough place to play. They have an experienced QB in Thomas Sirk that grad transferred in from Duke and an RB that came in from Clemson.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

It's maybe the most difficult season to pick in a while. There is definitely a new enthusiasm which can't be underestimated in college football. However my head says it also can't be blown up either. They skip out on 2 of the top teams in the West which helps a lot. Though the talent dropped off there is still talent on the roster to work with and some of the freshman will contribute right away.

I see losses @ Michigan, @ Navy and @ USF. Beyond that they are all very winnable games. I think they will drop at least one more so I'll say 8-4 but very possibly 7-5. Either would be a huge step forward so I'd take it.

Austin Peay - W
    No one (hardly) wins at the Big House. UC will not be one of the few.
    Hoping the pro UC crowd at Miami and the streak carry them to another win in that one but won't be easy. Cats will still have more talent but gap is narrowing.
    Navy is just too well coached to beat in early season.
    Marshall should be a W. Just not the Marshall of old yet.
    UCF is improved but I think if Cats get some momentum and the crowds continue to grow they get this one.
    SMU is a possible loss. Especially if going well and USF on the horizon.
    USF is just more talented and though I'm not a huge Charlie Strong guy he is good enough to win with superior talent most times.
    Tulane even on the road should be a W.
    Temple always seems to give the Cats fits. Hoping the new staff has answers for that. Could be that 5th loss or a big W.
    East Carolina on the road makes it no gimme but hopefully momentum will have built by this time with kids truly buying in and they get the W.
    Connecticut will no doubt be improved with Edsall returning but he doesn't have much to work with. Will take a couple years.

Comment

I'm looking for us to be competitive in every game and NOT give up in the second half. I have the faith that Coach Fickell and his staff can find six wins, somewhere, and get us back to a bowl. I'm not picky about which six games we win. Amen brother! Keeping the faith!

Comment

This year will be better than last year, but I am already looking toward 2018....

6-6

Definite losses: Michigan, USF, Navy, SMU, Temple, and either UCF or ECU. I think we beat Miami, but barely (again).

B.C.

"A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

I think our wins will be AP, Marshall, UCF, SMU, Tulane & UConn. So at 6-6 an ok rebound season. If we excel additional wins could be ECU & Miami.
          Hoping we end up at least 7-5 & a bowl win.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatjd View Post
            I think our wins will be AP, Marshall, UCF, SMU, Tulane & UConn. So at 6-6 an ok rebound season. If we excel additional wins could be ECU & Miami.
            Hoping we end up at least 7-5 & a bowl win.

6-6 sounds about right to me as well. I think a lot will depend on whether our starters can stay reasonably healthy. Not much depth on this team, and losing Alex Thomas and Ryan Stout made the situation even worse.

Comment

Also lost Bryce Jenkinson after last season (medical). He was the starting MLB last season. LB is really really thin. Lots of FR. and SO. on the roster. Perry Young's going to get the hybrid role as a Sophomore it looks like. Camp starts today. I just hope we can stay healthy at that position.
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I'm hoping solid coaching on the defensive side of the ball can keep most games close and disguise the lack of experience. And better coaching on the offensive side might allow us to move the ball and score more consistently. With some luck 8-4 is possible.

Comment

Bowl eligibility in his first year would be a huge win for Fickell and the team. The AAC is on the rise (at least on the fields) and so are the Redhawks. However, UC is going to be a part of that higher level of play. There are two things I really like that will make this team very competitive in most of the games and with some luck, even against Big Blue. One, this coaching staff is teaching fundamentals, tackling and blocking will be greatly improved than what we saw over the past couple or six seasons. Secondly, the player like the coach and coaching staff...there is a good deal of talent on this team and the coaches will get all of the fight out of them that is possible.

We will win a couple of games we aren't supposed to win, at least two of these:Miami, UCF, USF, or ECU

We will lose one of the we shoulda beat them teams: Marshall, UConn, or SMU

I'm going with minimum 7-5 with an outside chance of improving on that.
                  Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

I take every season as an open book with it almost impossible to make a prediction. Reason, our biggest factor recently has been turnovers, and they are very preventable. Quite a few games we've lost have swung on this, and if we can clean that up it might be a suprising season. My biggest hope is that if the depth catches up with them the bandwagon fans continue to support the team. LF has done a great job of engaging the local recruits/fans, and i think it's critical regardless of wins and losses to have folks in the seats to show support.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
                      I take every season as an open book with it almost impossible to make a prediction. Reason, our biggest factor recently has been turnovers, and they are very preventable. Quite a few games we've lost have swung on this, and if we can clean that up it might be a suprising season. My biggest hope is that if the depth catches up with them the bandwagon fans continue to support the team. LF has done a great job of engaging the local recruits/fans, and i think it's critical regardless of wins and losses to have folks in the seats to show support.

So true Coach. I hadn't thought of the turnover problem, but that has been huge. I believe someone else on here mentioned special teams play. If we get those issues fixed and stay healthy it could be a lot of fun this year.

Comment

Also Coach Fickell mentioned when looking at game videos we were such a poor tackling team, 12 - 15 misses per game. Clean that up with the TO and ST play issues and there may be pleasant surprises in our future.

Comment

Going to be a 9-3 Season with Losses at MI, USF , & ECU..... Totally different Team this Season that will be underestimated for the first two months.......and a close loss to Michigan.... 28-24.

Comment

Originally posted by BearKatz View Post
                            Going to be a 9-3 Season with Losses at MI, USF , & ECU..... Totally different Team this Season that will be underestimated for the first two months.......and a close loss to Michigan.... 28-24.

I like your optimistic view & hope you are right. If so, that would be a great season after last year's disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatjd View Post

I like your optimistic view & hope you are right. If so, that would be a great season after last year's disaster.

Tubberville was a disaster and I think with a young energetic coach, this team will turn it around quickly....Talent was always there, just need a Coach who cares more about winning games, then tee time's.....

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X