Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Long AQ Status for the Big East

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...-bye-aq-status

Not sure how I feel about this, but the place it really hurts is recuiting. This was a big card to play on for 3 star recruits.

It's not just for the Big East but all conferences. Yes, there will be issues debating strength of schedule and all; however, this isn't happening until 2014. We've got two more years of AQ and by 2014 college football will look a lot different.

Not really worried about it. UC has put itself in a very competitive situation athletically and academically.

Also, I sure hope we're recruiting higher than just 3 stars.

Comment

I think this is good news. If it was just losing the AQ status for the Big East we would be hurting. Now we dont have to worry about being in a AQ conference.

Comment

Now it gets simple: go undefeated with a win over a top half team from the SEC/big10/p12 and get to the playoff.

(The Big East likely would have been represented in 2007 (WVU) and definitely in 2009 (UC) in the playoff. Limiting it to conference champs would stop the SEC from having half the teams in the thing.)

Really would have preferred an 8 team playoff though with 6 AQ.
        Last edited by 08bearcat; 04-27-2012, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Her closing statement is written like it's a done deal:

Remember, all of these changes take effect beginning with the 2014 season. AQ designation is a part of the BCS for 2012 and 2013, so the Big East retains its spot as an automatic qualifier for these next two seasons.
          It's not.

While it most likely this will happen, no surprise, at this time recommendations are being presented to the various universities for consideration. More discussion and maybe a decision will be forth coming in June.

With all the people involved having different views an opinions, I would expect it to drag on much longer than June.

Comment

Forgive me for seeing this as not good for team like UC.

I can see the traditional teams with history dominating the playoff even over undeafeated teams out side of the former BCS.

Money talks and that is what it will boil down to. TX vs. FL will far outdraw UC vs. VT in televison viewers. This will be even more true if the bowls themselves have any say in who plays. They will ALWAYS choose who they think will sell more tickets.

One other aspect will be how they choose they teams. If there is ANY preseason polls in use, you can kiss major bowls goodbye. Even in our 12-0 year we had to overcome the preseason poll that I believe left us out.

Comment

Ultimately, this will be good for UC.

The powers that be are only willing to have 4 teams currently. When they find out how much interest the playoff draws and how much money it brings in, they will eventually expand it to 8 or 16 teams.

At 8 or 16 teams, UC will have a decent chance of being included after an outstanding year.

The entities who should be threatened are they BCS, the existing bowls and bowl committees.

--Gary

Comment

Originally posted by 08bearcat View Post
                Now it gets simple: go undefeated with a win over a top half team from the SEC/big10/p12 and get to the playoff.

(The Big East likely would have been represented in 2007 (WVU) and definitely in 2009 (UC) in the playoff. Limiting it to conference champs would stop the SEC from having half the teams in the thing.)

Really would have preferred an 8 team playoff though with 6 AQ.
                I hope you're correct, but the voters in the polls from the 5 power conferences (BE is not considered that any more by many) may vote a BE team or other such conference lower to keep them out of the 4 team playoffs. The method of selecting the 4 is, however, yet to be determined so we'll have to wait and see. Generally though we can assume this playoff will be designed to favor and enrichen the Big 5 Conferences.

Comment

You're kidding yourself if you truly believe the NCAA and the conferences will stop at only 4 teams. They are fueled by one and one thing only greed. In a few years it will expand to 8 teams. A few years after that maybe 10-12 until we get to 16. College football fans have been begging for a playoff for a million years. Once this gets started March Madness will finally have competition for being the greatest tournament in the world.
                  Last edited by True Bearcat; 04-27-2012, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Here is my opinion.

I don't think losing the "BCS" title to conferences is all that bad. First, what is driving all of this? Money, and specifically TELEVISION MONEY. With the current/future markets of the Big East, money is going to be generated. FAR more than what the conference received for simply participating in a BCS game. Right?

Second, although Big East teams may not make it very often (and neither will ACC teams) the 4-team playoff is designed to put the BEST 4 teams in a playoff. This is good for college football. And like the poster above stated, there is no way it's going to stop at 4. I think the number will get to 8.

So, what does this mean for UC? Well, take the increase in revenue with the new TV deal and grow the program. Become a powerhouse of the Big East and we'll get in that playoff. Does it take another undefeated season, maybe. But why would any of us not believe it's possible?

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Otto View Post
                      Forgive me for seeing this as not good for team like UC.

I can see the traditional teams with history dominating the playoff even over undeafeated teams out side of the former BCS.

Money talks and that is what it will boil down to. TX vs. FL will far outdraw UC vs. VT in televison viewers. This will be even more true if the bowls themselves have any say in who plays. They will ALWAYS choose who they think will sell more tickets.

One other aspect will be how they choose they teams. If there is ANY preseason polls in use, you can kiss major bowls goodbye. Even in our 12-0 year we had to overcome the preseason poll that I believe left us out.
                      Thrilled I got the chance to be in Miami to see UC in the Orange Bowl, and the experience in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl was even better. Once the BCS "auto" goes away, unless a BEast team is undefeated, the likelihood of being in any 4 team playoff, or a "major" bowl, becomes very unlikely.

Comment

Somebody explain to me how this is good for UC and the Big East -- an undefeated BE team will still have a tough (read: nearly impossible) time landing a Top-4 spot over 1 loss teams from the other power conferences (especially the SEC and the Big 10+), and the new system will allegedly revert back to the old bowl tie-ins for the higher-dollar bowls.

How does this NOT result in the Big East champion (even with no losses or 1 loss) playing in a low-prestige bowl on a regular basis?

You can give it a patriotic name, but it still sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by #41 View Post
                          Somebody explain to me how this is good for UC and the Big East -- an undefeated BE team will still have a tough (read: nearly impossible) time landing a Top-4 spot over 1 loss teams from the other power conferences (especially the SEC and the Big 10+), and the new system will allegedly revert back to the old bowl tie-ins for the higher-dollar bowls.

How does this NOT result in the Big East champion (even with no losses or 1 loss) playing in a low-prestige bowl on a regular basis?
                          I talk about what is required in addition to dropping the BCS AQ status for this to be good for every program including UC in the following thread:

http://forums.bearcatnews.com/showthread.php?t=11867
                          "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.

Comment

I'm with him. You can talk all you want about revenue, etc., but there is no way the Sugar, Orange, or Fiesta Bowls voluntarily pick a BEast team, unless they are undefeated, and there is no 1 loss team from one of the other conferences, and I'm not sure that they wouldn't even take a 2 loss Oklahoma, Auburn, etc., over an undefeated UC. If the Orange/Sugar get the semi-finalists I am thrilled that I got to Miami and New Orleans, 'cause UC "ain't" never going back as a member of the BEast.

Comment

Very seldom are teams recognized for being good at the national level. Rather, programs are recognized for being good.

If UC continues its upward trend, and is able to continue to win BE titles, good things will come. Be patient...

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X