QB Battle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Binturong05 View Post
    Tough to argue with that although if I were Butch I'd be concerned about the throwing motion leading to turnovers as defenders have a better shot at hitting the ball with Munchie dropping the elbow which inherently results in more time in the windup versus a throwing motion where the ball is held high. The difference is only a fraction of a second in most cases but multiply this by 20 or 30 pass plays a game spread across 12 or 13 games in a season and the probability of a turnover increases significantly.

As they say, football is a game of inches. If they can correct the throwing motion and minimize those inches, great, if not, by all accounts Munchie's athleticism makes him a solid contender for the starting spot.
    absolutely spot on, quicker reads can also cut that delivery time down aswell, hopefully he is entrenched in the playbook.
    NOW do you believe ?

Comment

Originally posted by Thegreatone View Post
      Lets be real here.

Kay is the guy who everyone has overhyped for 3 years. He is always the sexy underdog pick.

The guy is Munchie.

Coyne wont see the feild this year.
      Kay hasn't been overhyped for 3 years. He is just finally 100% healthy.
      Our goal is for someone to be asked, what's the best program in the nation? And the answer be: Cincinnati.-Mick Cronin

Comment

Originally posted by Binturong05 View Post
        Tough to argue with that although if I were Butch I'd be concerned about the throwing motion leading to turnovers as defenders have a better shot at hitting the ball with Munchie dropping the elbow which inherently results in more time in the windup versus a throwing motion where the ball is held high. The difference is only a fraction of a second in most cases but multiply this by 20 or 30 pass plays a game spread across 12 or 13 games in a season and the probability of a turnover increases significantly.

As they say, football is a game of inches. If they can correct the throwing motion and minimize those inches, great, if not, by all accounts Munchie's athleticism makes him a solid contender for the starting spot.

A big loopy throwing motion like his is very difficult to fix. Look at Tebow. He has spent a ton of time trying to correct his motion since he left Florida, and the second he steps on the field in a game he reverts right back to it. After throwing that way for so long, it is just instinct to go back to it under the stress of a game.
        Our goal is for someone to be asked, what's the best program in the nation? And the answer be: Cincinnati.-Mick Cronin

Comment

Originally posted by subflea View Post
          Kay hasn't been overhyped for 3 years. He is just finally 100% healthy.
          Everyone loves the BACKUP QB, don't they?

Comment

Munchie scares me.

Comment

Originally posted by cincycpaw View Post
              Everyone loves the BACKUP QB, don't they?
              Well considering we don't have a starter right now...

Comment

This is why the question is so interesting (to me).

Who has the meaningful experience? Munchie
                Who has the athleticism? Munchie
                Who has performed under pressure? Munchie
                Who has won big games? Munchie
                Who is the #1 QB? Butch won't say.

The easiest thing to do would be to say "the Job is Munchie's to lose" or "Munchie enters the spring as the #1, but he will face competition".

But that's not what is being said...

What we are hearing is that the competition is "wide open" and he continues to praise Munchie, Kay (who he refers to as "1A') and Coyne.

Which gets back to my original post...

Is he trying to motivate one of the back-up's? Is he trying to motivate Munchie? Is this his preferred way of evaluation? Does he really not know at this time? Has there really not been anyone to grab the "lead" yet? Is the battle really as wide-open as he claims?

Comment

Whoever our QB is, the O linemen better be working on tackling drills! Could be a frustrating season.
                  Don't worry about what you can't control......

Comment

A big loopy throwing motion like his is very difficult to fix. Look at Tebow. He has spent a ton of time trying to correct his motion since he left Florida, and the second he steps on the field in a game he reverts right back to it. After throwing that way for so long, it is just instinct to go back to it under the stress of a game.
                    I don't know why Munchie would scare anyone. He is a good athlete. If we can't correct his throwing motion, then he needs to work on playing smaller. He needs to get in position to throw in a passing lane and avoid throwing over the top of the line. We can't afford to give away a ton of downs from balls being batted down.

Comment

Well considering we don't have a starter right now...
                      Yes we do. It is Munchie.

Remember when Butch came in? He wouldnt name Zach the starter. He was going to have to earn it over Chazz Anderson?

You werent one of those guys who thought we didnt have a started then too were you?

Bank on Munchie. He is the starter. I am always a little nervous about QB's moving from backup to starter but I do not have any doubt that Muchems is our guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Thegreatone View Post
                        Remember when Butch came in? He wouldnt name Zach the starter. He was going to have to earn it over Chazz Anderson?
                        This isn't true.

Butch had his guy coming in (Lefevour) at CMU, and he had his guy (Collaros) at UC too.

DF @ CMU helped lead the team to a MAC title his freshman year under Kelly.

ZC handled himself very well in his 2009 Sophomore season - including appearing in all 13 games (4 starts) and contributed to the undefeated regular season under BK.

When Butch took over at UC, Collaros was the guy going into the season. For perspective... http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-f...071410aaa.html

Obviously he had to continue to earn his spot on top, but he was getting national attention as a QB to watch going into the 2010 season.

This year, the vibe is very different. The competition may very well be won by Munchie...but I continue to think it's somewhat telling that Butch has yet to dub someone as the #1 guy.

Comment

I don't think its telling, except that spring practices haven't concluded, and the summer camps haven't started. I am sure Jones has a plan, and not naming a starter this early will help the competition between the players as the practices progress.
                          In loving memory, I will be a fan for both of us.
                          Cody- Oct 25th 1987 to Jan 1st 2011.

Comment

A starter won't be named until after they break camp at Higher Ground this summer. Maybe, not even then.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X