Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QB Battle

Trying to read the tea leaves...

This is the first time in Butch's career as a head coach that he has an offseason where he does not know who his 1st string QB will be in the fall. It is interesting to see how he is handling it.

Seems to me like it would be very easy to name Muchie #1 (most of his reps have been with the 1st team this Spring), and let others try to knock him off. Yet Butch has not yet made this determination.

I suppose the question is...why not?

Is he trying to motivate one of the back-up's? Is he trying to motivate Munchie? Is this his preferred way of evaluation? Does he really not know at this time? Has there really not been anyone to grab the "lead" yet? Is the battle really as wide-open as he claims?

If I was in Munchie's shoes, I would think I would be looking over my shoulder. He's the only guy with meaningful experience, he is a gifted athlete, yet he is not being dubbed as "the guy". Tells me they are still apprehensive/unsure about whether Munchie can lead this team to another BE title.

Prediction: I think Kay might win this battle. Time will tell.

Looking forward to people's reactions after seeing them both play in the spring game.

Patrick Coyne..... Ben Mauk clone. Watch him win this battle!

B.C.
    "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

Originally posted by GoCats1994 View Post
      Trying to read the tea leaves...

This is the first time in Butch's career as a head coach that he has an offseason where he does not know who his 1st string QB will be in the fall. It is interesting to see how he is handling it.

Seems to me like it would be very easy to name Muchie #1 (most of his reps have been with the 1st team this Spring), and let others try to knock him off. Yet Butch has not yet made this determination.

I suppose the question is...why not?

Is he trying to motivate one of the back-up's? Is he trying to motivate Munchie? Is this his preferred way of evaluation? Does he really not know at this time? Has there really not been anyone to grab the "lead" yet? Is the battle really as wide-open as he claims?

If I was in Munchie's shoes, I would think I would be looking over my shoulder. He's the only guy with meaningful experience, he is a gifted athlete, yet he is not being dubbed as "the guy". Tells me they are still apprehensive/unsure about whether Munchie can lead this team to another BE title.

Prediction: I think Kay might win this battle. Time will tell.

Looking forward to people's reactions after seeing them both play in the spring game.
      ^^^^^This.
      RIP #12 Greg Cook (1946-2012)

Red Rocker
      CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

Surprised to see the oft injured Kay in the mix... I hope by mid summer its a four horse race Coyne, Coney, Kay, & Legaux.

If Legaux deserves it he has to earn it, because outside of a few good zone reads he has not looked like the QB I would want running the show next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post
          Patrick Coyne..... Ben Mauk clone. Watch him win this battle!

B.C.
          Coyne is behind Kay and Munchie. It will be one of those two.
          Our goal is for someone to be asked, what's the best program in the nation? And the answer be: Cincinnati.-Mick Cronin

Comment

Lets be real here.

Kay is the guy who everyone has overhyped for 3 years. He is always the sexy underdog pick.

The guy is Munchie.

Coyne wont see the feild this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Thegreatone View Post
              Lets be real here.

Kay is the guy who everyone has overhyped for 3 years. He is always the sexy underdog pick.

The guy is Munchie.

Totally agree.

Comment

I hope they have corrected Munchie's mechanics. His side arm release will derail our offense. We cannot afford for him to throw a high percentage of balls that hit the back of his linemen's heads or get batted down.

Comment

Based only on what I see in the spring practice videos on gobearcats.com, it looks like his mechanics are still pretty bad on the throwing motion.

Comment

Lets be real here.

The guy is Munchie.

If it was this clear, why hasn't butch named his #1 on the depth chart?

Comment

Coney should redshirt.
                      Luallen has been moved to the Slash position.
                      Coyne needs another year to get worked in.

So it's Kay v. Munchie. Kay has better technique but he doesn't run as well and he gets injured in a stiff breeze. Munchie also has more starting experience. So I'm afraid it'll be Munchie. I hope the D turns it on, because we're going to need them.

Comment

Originally posted by GoCats1994 View Post
                        If it was this clear, why hasn't butch named his #1 on the depth chart?
                        To keep him on his toes, and to keep the others motivated to improve their game. If past seasons are anything to go to we will need to have a QB ready to jump in and take the helm.

Comment

I see Munchie coming out of this battle. He has the most game experience as a starter. Despite throwing motion issues he did what he had to do. If not for the Rutgers game (where most everyone looked awful) he would have been undefeated as a starting QB. Throw in Luallan and you have a tough combo to game plan for.

Coyne I see coming in 2nd. Kay in 3rd. This can and will change throughout the season.

I like Kay. But I am not sure where everyone thinks he is going to jump ahead. For a multitude of reasons he's not the ideal person to start. He's never started at this level. He only has 1 year left. So we would be starting a person who would be learning to be a starter, see him come around, and then leave. This makes no sense to waste of a year of Munchie or Coyne's eligibility while they could be learning to be the top guy and be a top QB by next year (see Zach Collaros).

Coney should redshirt. We have talent and a lot of options in front of him. Him playing this year would in all likelihood be a waste of a season (unless its for depth purposes).

I think whoever is our QB will surpass our expectations. But I don't see Kay being a huge factor in whatever happens.

The spring game will be strong indication of what happens.

Comment

Dont forget the players like Thompkins, Chism, Shaq Washignton, and McClung have been playing with Munchie for years on second string.

The throwing motion won't change. It is what it is. If he is accurate I dont care. Honestly, the release point probably isnt much different than Collaros. Munchie is about 6 inches taller than Zach which makes up for the drop in the elbow.

Munchie can run and will put a ton of pressure on DE's to read the QB option play which can be tough.

Our strength with be running the ball. Despite losing Pead we have a bunch of good backs. Poteat start, Wynn gets nearly half the carries, Abernathy gives change of pace and Munchie keeps the ends honest.

Comment

Dont forget the players like Thompkins, Chism, Shaq Washignton, and McClung have been playing with Munchie for years on second string.

The throwing motion won't change. It is what it is. If he is accurate I dont care. Honestly, the release point probably isnt much different than Collaros. Munchie is about 6 inches taller than Zach which makes up for the drop in the elbow.

Munchie can run and will put a ton of pressure on DE's to read the QB option play which can be tough.

Our strength with be running the ball. Despite losing Pead we have a bunch of good backs. Poteat start, Wynn gets nearly half the carries, Abernathy gives change of pace and Munchie keeps the ends honest.
                              Tough to argue with that although if I were Butch I'd be concerned about the throwing motion leading to turnovers as defenders have a better shot at hitting the ball with Munchie dropping the elbow which inherently results in more time in the windup versus a throwing motion where the ball is held high. The difference is only a fraction of a second in most cases but multiply this by 20 or 30 pass plays a game spread across 12 or 13 games in a season and the probability of a turnover increases significantly.

As they say, football is a game of inches. If they can correct the throwing motion and minimize those inches, great, if not, by all accounts Munchie's athleticism makes him a solid contender for the starting spot.
                              "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X