Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we as fans happy with the New BIG EAST?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, considering the fact that WE are part of the "new" Big East, at least from a purist's standpoint, then I am rather happy with it. If you want to argue that the league took a step backward in terms of quality, then that can be better argued on the basketball side of things, and not just because of the talent level of Syracuse, WVU, and Pitt (well, usually on that last one), but because of the what Syracuse in particular brought to the Big East tournament. As a native New Yorker, who lives here now, I really think that Syracuse made a mistake leaving the Big East because so much of its traditional fanbase and alumni base is tied to NYC and to the BE tournament. Being at MSG for the BE tourney, when we played right after Syracuse, and then when we played against them, seeing the arena bathed in orange was almost surreal. There is not that much orange in the stands there even for a Knicks game. Good luck generating that kind of atmosphere in Atlanta, for the ACC tourney. Syracuse will regret leaving, but the Big East should have made it harder to leave and should have done more from the get-go to get to at least 10 football schools, so we could have divisions and a league championship.
    From a football standpoint, I think that we actually gain in quality and basketball recovered well with Temple and Memphis, although we lose the atmosphere that Syracuse brought. So, yes, I AM happy with how the Big East shaped up after all the controversy. Let's just hope it has a chance to grow into its own.

Comment

It seems as though, if you do the 'blind comparison' of resumes like they do with NCAA tournament teams, the 'new' Big East is probably improved from the state it's been in the past few years.
      However, the public (and more specifically, media) perception of the teams being brought in will have a major factor in the success of the league to gain respectability. From a football standpoint, of the incoming teams, really only Boise has any real recent success, and that is usually questioned because of the league they played in was perceived as providing inferior competition thus giving BSU the advantage when it came to playing the 'big boys'. The other teams have had some minor success lately as well, but again, it's always perceived as against lower tier opponents.
      I see the major problem the new Big East faces as beating that perception that we are a bunch of mid-major teams playing in an AQ conference - the only way to do this is to play a solid OOC schedule and winning those games. We cannot schedule like the teams from the Big 10 and SEC do, they get the leeway to schedule a bunch of gimmie games for their OOC because they play in so-called tough conferences. I understand the point of playing the FCS opponents early is to warm up the team, but to beat the perception, that practice would need to be replaced with playing at least a mid-level FBS team from an AQ conference. I know there are logistical issues to this, but every effort should be made at least until the Big East is no longer perceived as being inferior to the Mtn West conf.

Comment

Originally posted by Brooklyn Bearcat View Post
        As a native New Yorker, who lives here now, I really think that Syracuse made a mistake leaving the Big East because so much of its traditional fanbase and alumni base is tied to NYC and to the BE tournament. Being at MSG for the BE tourney, when we played right after Syracuse, and then when we played against them, seeing the arena bathed in orange was almost surreal. There is not that much orange in the stands there even for a Knicks game. Good luck generating that kind of atmosphere in Atlanta, for the ACC tourney. Syracuse will regret leaving, but the Big East should have made it harder to leave and should have done more from the get-go to get to at least 10 football schools...
        Cronin as much as said so in his post game conference during the BE tournament following UC's defeat of Syracuse, in essence, why would any team want to leave all this (at MSG)?

While losing Pitt and WVU as well, all I will say is that they weren't shown as the BB schools they havd been this year, and I pondered 'Buyer's remorse, ACC?' with Pitt. It makes me wonder too if the B12 was chewing a few Tums when they saw the poor BE and NCAA representation of their oh-so-proud newbie? But then maybe they figured so what, we got ours. Yeah, but WVU can well expect a pounding in their new environ, and not as many hillbillies at their away games to show everyone what REAL football is.

I think the BE will be fine, especially if we can get away from Espin with a much, much better TV package. And if i am a FB&BB school I sure as shootin' would be beating the Providence doors about supporting the FB programs, too. Or else....
        The Red & Black shall triumph as they are struggling down the field. Oh fight for Cincinnati: McMicken's foes shall yield.

Comment

[QUOTE=FBBBUCfan;207181]Cronin as much as said so in his post game conference during the BE tournament following UC's defeat of Syracuse, in essence, why would any team want to leave all this (at MSG)?

What I loved most about those comments from Cronin- and I heard both of them when he said them -is that Jim Boeheim made no secret of the fact that he was unhappy with the move for his program. I know that this is under the football forums, but basketball must be considered when talking about the Bog East. The real shame is, as much as I am more of a football fan than a basketball fan, college basketball is a much better product when all is said and done because of the conference tournaments and the NCAA tournaments that help to determine true champions, in a very exciting way; not like the controversial football bowl system than just sits there and stagnates for a month before the best teams even get to play one another. But college football makes the money, and it's that money that got us into the Big East in the first place. But, it's just funny how football undermines basketball and in the end, it shook up a really good basketball conference

Comment

Welcome to the Semi C-USA Conference.
            I bleed red and black!!!!

Comment

The additions of Boise State and San Diego State go a very long way IMO to restoring some of what would be lost with PItt, WVU and Cuse. If only TCU would have joined... then I would have been completely happy with the "New" Big East.

I see the power teams being... USF, UC, UL, Boise St. and San Diego St.. that isn't bad. I realize none of them have the brand name or the tradition of say a WVU but, in modern reality Boise St and San Diego St prove to be an equivalent if not better football program than the outgoing SU, WVU and Pitt programs. My 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by JerseySean View Post
                This is an awful league. It is not "East" (and, to be fair, Cincinnati, Chicago, Louisville, and Milwaukee hardly count as "East" either), it is not as strong in football, it still has Notre Shame in all sports outside of football, and it now has way too many basketball teams. This is being held together with thread and Elmer's to preserve football BCS status. Why do we have college athletes flying from New Jersey to San Diego, Boise, and Houston for league games???

The NCAA has been outflanked. They should have put an end to re-alignment the moment BC, Miami, and VT jumped Big East ship.

Rules?

1. No more than 12 conference members.
                2. Must be within a similar geographic area -- to be defined
                3. Historical affiliations can be honored (Northwestern should NOT be in the Big 10, but because they were a founding member, they can stay and continue to get their clocks cleaned by the likes of to$u, UM, Penn St., and even lowly Indiana)
                4. NCAA controls football money rights to ensure equal/fair distribution (I know this, in particular, is HUGELY controversial, but let's face it -- this is all about the Benjamins)

But... the NCAA won't do this because they are spineless and weak.

I love my Bearcats. This league, however, is a sham. THIS LOOKS VERY SIMILAR TO THE CONFERENCE USA FOOTBALL CONFERENCE WE PLAYED IN!

Discuss...
                Who is to say the consolidation of power in a few super conferences is not the end goal of the NCAA?
                "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.

Comment

I was at Saturday's Elite 8 game (it was not as fun as I had hoped for on Thursday!) but I did get a chance to speak to several SU fans about switching to the ACC. By and large, not happy about it. They haven't yet seen the upside of ruining great rivalries with Nova, Georgetown, UConn and replacing them with Duke, UNC, etc. Have to tell you, even now having been here with BC being in the ACC for several years, even those rivalries seem forced...

Comment

The new Big East is garbage. I'm a college football fan, and I have 0 desire to watch the majority of those schools play games. You'd have to pay me to sit through a SMU / San Diego State game.

But, whatever -- there was really no alternative that I could see.

You can give it a patriotic name, but it still sucks.

Comment

So, we're replacing the TCU game with Fordham? And charging more for tickets? Please, sir, may I have some more?

Comment

My thoughts of the New BIG EAST.

1. It opens recruiting grounds in some of the hottest recruiting areas in the nation.

2. The Bearcats have a chance to dominate this conference in football and basketball for years to come.

3. It will bring attention to the University of Cincinnati in all time zones. UC will be visible in multiple news forms across the nation when they are playing, or winning the conference.

4. Rivalries will be not in existence for awhile. I hope they do not force them. UC Louisville will be big still. UCF USF will be huge, and hope to gain momentum. I would like to see SMU come back to dominance. I think the way they commanded the Dallas area before the death penalty would be huge if they started winning again, and were able to regain their old support.

All and all I think the conference will work for UC, and hopefully stay stable.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X