Defensive Coordinator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defensive Coordinator

On FOX19 this morning they said Butch would announce the new Defensive Coordinator (to replace Tim Banks) this week. In January Butch said:

...the new defensive coordinator will come from among a trio of current assistants: Kerry Coombs, Steve Stripling and John Jancek.
    Any speculation who will be named defenisive coordinator?

I would assume, at least one new coach will be invited into the family. Any rumors as to who that might be?

Banks leaves UC to lead Illinois' defense: 1-18-2012
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...r%7Ctext%7CSPT

Isn't Coombs an "associate" head coach and Stripling "assistant" head coach?

Depends if assistant has pin rank on associate or vice versa but my guess would be Stripling.
    "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.

Comment

Please not Coombs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyboy View Post
        Please not Coombs.
        Why? Curious.
        GO BEARCATS!

Comment

Originally posted by BearcatDAN View Post
          Why? Curious.
          He was supposed to coach the defensive backs this year. The defensive backs weren't anywhere near reliable.
          "Lets do 10 shots of Jose before the EKU game!!!!"

-Source Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by cafemerald View Post
            He was supposed to coach the defensive backs this year. The defensive backs weren't anywhere near reliable.
            Agreed KC as DC would most likely be a disaster. Needs more experience at the college level.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

The DBs greatly improved by the end of the season. Look how they "shut down" Vandy. KC deserves it, and will get it!

B.C.
              "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post
                The DBs greatly improved by the end of the season. Look how they "shut down" Vandy. KC deserves it, and will get it!

B.C.
                Is this sarcasm? I hope so.

You don't need to shut down the 97th ranked passing offense.
                "Lets do 10 shots of Jose before the EKU game!!!!"

-Source Unknown

Comment

KC is a recruiter and motivator. Xs and Os are not his strong suit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyboy View Post
                    KC is a recruiter and motivator. Xs and Os are not his strong suit.
                    Oh boy. It's the KC vs the GCL boys again. Boring.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

Linebackers coach John Jancek will serve as defensive coordinator, associate head coach Kerry Coombs was named defensive passing game coordinator , assistant head coach Steve Striplingwas named the defensive run game coordinator, and Roy Manningas outside linebackers coach.
                      http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-f...021612aaa.html

Comment

Too many chiefs, not enough Indians IMO. We`ll see but it could be the makings of a giant clusterf**k.

I would have liked to have seen BJ go out and hire a "real" DC. BJ barely pays attention to the defense, he needs a HC-Defense to run things on that side.

Again, we`ll see.

Comment

I always came away with the impression that Jones paid a lot of attention to the defense, with recruiting and philosophy anyway. This will be his third year as coach and the overall talent and physical attributes of the players has gotten better (bigger, faster, stronger, etc.) so I would say that is hardly the lack of attention that Kelly gave to the defense. Also, for as critical as I have been about the schemes and playcalling, they did get more complex and more aggressive as the season wore on last year. I just thing that Jones has a personal philosophy of several small installments of his total system, instead of a complete overhaul right away and that this season we could be seeing something that is more truely his defense.
                          In loving memory, I will be a fan for both of us.
                          Cody- Oct 25th 1987 to Jan 1st 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by cmm27 View Post
                            I always came away with the impression that Jones paid a lot of attention to the defense, with recruiting and philosophy anyway. This will be his third year as coach and the overall talent and physical attributes of the players has gotten better (bigger, faster, stronger, etc.) so I would say that is hardly the lack of attention that Kelly gave to the defense. Also, for as critical as I have been about the schemes and playcalling, they did get more complex and more aggressive as the season wore on last year. I just thing that Jones has a personal philosophy of several small installments of his total system, instead of a complete overhaul right away and that this season we could be seeing something that is more truely his defense.
                            I guess I should have been more clear. From a X and O's/schematic/technique standpoint, BJ pays little attention to the defense. Its not a knock against him, there are many coaches who completely focus on one side of the ball. Nick Saban often leaves the sideline when his offense is on the field and talks to the defense. Yes he gives direction, yes he knows what's going on but he doesn't take an active role in Alabama's offense. Same goes for Urban Meyer and his defense.

That's not necessarily a bad thing BUT if that is your approach you d**m well better have a DC who is effectively the HC of the defense (or in Saban's case, an OC who is the HC of the offense). A guy who is in complete control and someone you fully trust.

From what has been announced about how the defense will be run, that doesn't appear to be the case at UC.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha5 View Post
                              I guess I should have been more clear. From a X and O's/schematic/technique standpoint, BJ pays little attention to the defense. Its not a knock against him, there are many coaches who completely focus on one side of the ball. Nick Saban often leaves the sideline when his offense is on the field and talks to the defense. Yes he gives direction, yes he knows what's going on but he doesn't take an active role in Alabama's offense. Same goes for Urban Meyer and his defense.

That's not necessarily a bad thing BUT if that is your approach you d**m well better have a DC who is effectively the HC of the defense (or in Saban's case, an OC who is the HC of the offense). A guy who is in complete control and someone you fully trust.

From what has been announced about how the defense will be run, that doesn't appear to be the case at UC.
                              Maybe he's planning a more hands-on approach to be deployed this year, and didn't want his current hiring to get in the way of that later.

Anything can happen.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X