State of the Site

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of the Site

I've seen posts in several forums openly asking where everybody is on here these days. In short, there are more sources of information these days (Twitter, Reddit ) and interest trends have changed to other sites. There have been technical issues, spam issues etc. and it's frankly been a long while, somewhat by design, since we've approved a new member. I would sincerely like the board to recover and in order for that to happen I will almost certainly be stepping aside after basketball season if not sooner. I enjoy what I'm doing here but I think you all are sick of me. The site needs a new direction if it is going to survive. When the board really took off a few years ago we had some real issues with trolls and we (mostly I) ended up banning a decent amount of people which was both necessary and unfortunate. In retrospect we got things under control but I overdid it and I think a lot of people who were members at that time were put off by this and left. I think I've personally grown a thicker skin since that point but I think there's a lingering trust issue with me and to that end I've overstayed my welcome.

If you have suggestions you can post them here or PM me. If you'd rather not PM me, PM Keith or Brett. Any and all feedback is welcome on this topic.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Hey man I hope you reconsider stepping down because you do a great job. Like others, I haven't posted much lately, but I've definitely been lurking the whole time and I would hate to miss out on the info that you and others post here.

I don't think that the lack of posts has anything to do with any perceived trust issues with you or any of the mods. I think a lot of it is sort of the fact that we are still in wait-and-see mode with regards to the program. During the past "active period" of the forum, much of the discussion centered around Huggins versus Cronin and whether Mick was doing an adequate job. Now that Mick has silenced most of his critics on this front, there's not much more to discuss. The current bugaboo is the inability to muster enough offense to make a deep run in the tournament. For this, the proof will be in the pudding. Some of the early results this year look nice, but I think there's a lot of cautious skepticism as to whether this is fools gold and whether the ball movement and shooting will look as good against higher-caliber opponents.

I think if we can possibly make an Elite 8 run, and equally importantly, score some points on the way, the buzz will be back. It's just that right now the offense has been such a handicap that it's hard to get too excited about our chances in March.

Comment

I don't know if I speak for everyone else but the Big East falling apart has been a real buzzkill. I still follow UC basketball and football and always will, but the schedule we played in the old Big East (best conference in basketball) was exciting. And the success under Brian Kelly was exciting. Playing Pitt, Syracuse, West Virginia, etc. was a great schedule. We were on during prime time and now you have to internet stream to see games. Alot of football games are now on Thursday and Fridays just like the old C-USA days. Now to be in the AAC just feels like we took a step back to the Conference USA and Great Midwest days. Days that I thought were behind us when we joined the Big East and I thought we had arrived to stay with the big boys. I know it is what it is and some day we may get to a P5 conf but for now it sucks.
      Last edited by Bearcats1232002; 12-01-2015, 11:56 AM.

Comment

I'm in a bad mood today as you can probably tell by that post. Zach, I do appreciate what you said. I would stay on if asked to but I think that should be up to the board members. I do think someone else needs to take the lead role though.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I haven't been posting as much recently but I always check out the site several times every day. I remember the issue with the trolls and how bad the site was becoming before some of them were invited to go elsewhere and I really appreciated your effort. I really hope you stay on because you have been vital to this board. Perhaps it's time to start allowing new members again and allow those of us who are on here all the time to simply flag posts that are offensive, abusive to other members, or just intended to start up a bunch of flame wars. Again, I really hope you stay on.

As far as leaving the Big East being a buzz kill, no doubt about it. The decline of football the last three years has hurt also, but I still believe we are close to an invite to one of the major conferences if we just keep moving the athletic program forward. That would change everything, but the program has to keep the momentum in a positive direction to make that happen.
          Last edited by longtimefan; 11-30-2015, 11:20 PM.

Comment

I've been here a pretty long time, and I mostly lurk as well but post occasionally. I think the traffic and posts are mostly down because of how poorly the football team has played under tubbs.... it's just not fun.... and there isn't much to say other than they look sloppy and poorly coached. Everyone misses the Brian Kelly days and Big East. The basketball team looks great so hopefully that picks up some excitement but people care more about football in general.

Comment

Lobot,
              I sincerely hope you reconsider. You do an excellent job on here of keeping it balanced. If you stay I promise to tone down my negativity........I do get carried away sometimes

Comment

Lobot, please keep at it. I appreciate your efforts.

It would be helpful to expand membership. There's nothing wrong with diversity of opinion, provided it's done without getting personal. In fact, it would spice things up.

Comment

I'm with EVERYONE else! You should reconsider and stay.
                  Former KMart Ball Boy

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X