News links on the main page

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News links on the main page

Does anyone else have problems posting links to UC news on the main page? I can not post now and I notice that very few new articles about our Cats. Just wondering. If you notice, I post my links in the forums because I am not allowed to do so on the main page.

We had a server outage a few days ago that could have caused this. The links submitted have to be approved by Cpawstoney or a mod or admin. Are you getting an error or are they just never showing up on the front page after you successfully submit them?
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

The home page no longer shows a button/icon to click to submit a new link.
      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Additional Sports

Granted i know that baseball is not a major sport at UC, but would it be too difficult to get a page for baseball? We have a new coach and staff, maybe itll get SOME people talking about it.
        Just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
          The home page no longer shows a button/icon to click to submit a new link.
          Try this for me, anybody really, go to the front page and log in on the front page itself and let me know if you see a Submit Link option then.

Here's what I think is happening and it's really been this way for a long time. If you log in on the front page you also log in to the forums. If you log in to the forums you are NOT automatically logged in to the front page. The Submit Link option is only available if you are logged in on the front page itself.

Any logged in sessions would have been disconnected when the site went down last week.

Please give this a shot and tell me if the problem still exists. It does not for me but I have admin rights on the front page so I can't be sure if this is the issue.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by cspeed View Post
            Granted i know that baseball is not a major sport at UC, but would it be too difficult to get a page for baseball? We have a new coach and staff, maybe itll get SOME people talking about it.
            Just a thought

I'll float it by the admins if they don't read this themselves. Right now we just use the General Forums for all things non-revenue but we were right on the cusp of upgrading the forum software before football season so creating a new forum would fit well with the upgrade whenever that happens.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Have you ever floated the idea of putting up a paypal account for people to donate to for site upgrades and maintenance? Perhaps offer a one time donation, or a setup for a rucurring monthly expense? Or would that make this too much like a paywal site and something you have tried to avoid?
              In loving memory, I will be a fan for both of us.
              Cody- Oct 25th 1987 to Jan 1st 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by cmm27 View Post
                Have you ever floated the idea of putting up a paypal account for people to donate to for site upgrades and maintenance? Perhaps offer a one time donation, or a setup for a rucurring monthly expense? Or would that make this too much like a paywal site and something you have tried to avoid?
                I don't think that anyone has suggested that before honestly. As far as I know the problem is more time than money. We have two owners/admins who have busy family and professional lives and this thing requires them to block out time to work on the site's guts more or less.

The work on the new forum software is essentially done. Most of the problems with the site stem from the hosting provider physically moving the server to another city and as a result a lot of the database and routing links stopped working correctly.

If it were a matter of money, I'd be willing to take care of that for as much time as I spend on here. I think I can speak for them when I say we definitely want to avoid anything resembling a paywall. Part of the site's reason for existing was to be a free source of info.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X